The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2021, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default One or many

Now that we’re in the season of appreciation, I was thinking of whether I would be more satisfied with one “boutique”, or expensive, guitar or just keep my many for variety sake. I guess I need to go play some to find out. But in your opinion, would you rather have one or many?

I guess I’m wondering, if I take one of my Martins or my Eastman to a shop to play side by side with a Santa Cruz for example, am I going to be blown away and immediately trade mine in?

I have a feeling the answer is no, but maybe I’m wrong.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:48 AM

It all depends on whether you can differentiate between “different” and “better/worse”. Just because your new (insert guitar brand here) doesn’t sound like the (insert high dollar guitar here) it doesn’t necessarily mean that it is better or worse than any other guitar. Different and better/worse are mutually exclusive.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Then you already have your answer.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Well of course there are diminishing returns and where they diminish is up to your ear and your wallet. For me, the first time I played a small factory guitar against a big factory guitar from a lower line, I got it. When I played a very high-end guitar, I got that too, and when I played a 1930s Gibson and Martin, I really got it.
I got into music from my grandfather. He was a physician and spent his free time making music. But he was very frugal and bought the least expensive guitar, mandolin, harmonica, and piano. They were never maintained and always tuned by ear. If he were to see my music room he’d gave a heart attack. So some enjoy making music on anything and some enjoy the complexities of tone. I’ll say this, he was a better player than me.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:12 AM

A lot of enjoyment can be the sport of buying, selling, trading and collecting as well as playing acoustic guitars. By doing this, over time, you will end up with a nice collection of guitars that you will admire and enjoy playing. Based on your signature lines it looks like you are off to a good start.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Then you already have your answer.
OP asks the eternal question…

LONG before I was on AGF and my only guitar was my ‘92 D-35, I paid a visit to Elderly Instruments in Lansing (my one and only time, though I have bought a few guitars from them long-distance).

It was mid-day of a weekday, so they weren’t crowded at all. I was quite surprised they allowed me to spend time alone in the back room where all the boutique guitars were to try anything I wanted. No salesman hovering over me or distracting me.

That day I had the opportunity to play Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, McPherson (wood), and Collings. My assessment at the end of the day — and AT THAT TIME in my guitar journey — was thus: all of the above-mentioned brands I sampled were “better” than my D-35. However, in my opinion (again, at the time), most of them were not $2000-3000 “better.” The only guitars I considered possibly worthy of the considerable added expense (again, my OPINION), were both the Collings I played.

Guitars are like any other hobby/obsession, whether it be bicycles, high end audio, fly fishing, etc. You will see exponential gains in quality up to $xxxx, but as you get above that point you will pay exponentially more $$ for smaller and smaller incremental gains in quality.

Back to your original question…yes, you may very well be “blown away” by the boutique instruments, but only you can decide if the additional expense is justified.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreDrummer View Post
That day I had the opportunity to play Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, McPherson (wood), and Collings. My assessment at the end of the day — and AT THAT TIME in my guitar journey — was thus: all of the above-mentioned brands I sampled were “better” than my D-35. However, in my opinion (again, at the time), most of them were not $2000-3000 “better.” The only guitars I considered possibly worthy of the considerable added expense (again, my OPINION), were both the Collings I played.

Back to your original question…yes, you may very well be “blown away” by the boutique instruments, but only you can decide if the additional expense is justified.
I think it comes down to this as well

beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:27 AM

Many boutiques.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Now that we’re in the season of appreciation, I was thinking of whether I would be more satisfied with one “boutique”, or expensive, guitar or just keep my many for variety sake. I guess I need to go play some to find out. But in your opinion, would you rather have one or many?

I guess I’m wondering, if I take one of my Martins or my Eastman to a shop to play side by side with a Santa Cruz for example, am I going to be blown away and immediately trade mine in?

The answer is not necessarily. Santa Cruz destroys your average Martin for responsiveness and ease of playability, but they are more finesse instruments than power instruments. Speaking from personal experience, your average Martin dread will run over a typical Santa Cruz dread in a volume contest.

My current stable has Santa Cruzes and Merrills in it. The Santa Cruzes are awesome, but the Merrills are on another (higher) level. If forced to pick between having several Santa Cruzes or just 1 Merrill from my collection, I'd pick 1 Merrill.

This is an entirely personal decision only you can answer.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-24-2021, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm a believer in consolidation. I could see myself turning both Martins into the right OM.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 11-24-2021, 12:15 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I have no idea what guitars will or won’t blow you away. So subjective. But I can tell you as a guy who’s cycled through many standard Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons that once I experienced the boutiques I was blown away. So at this point I’d much rather have two “boutiques” than a half dozen standard production models. My only Martin now is an Authentic, which is custom shop made and boutique quality…at least to my hands and ears.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

many...as they say, variety is the spice of life.

I enjoy playing all my gits and each one brings a different flavour, especially when writing a piece, i find playing it on different gits inspiring to the next bar, be it on: nylon classical, 12 string, dread with retro strings, dread with martin lifespan strings, hog with silk steels, telecaster, etc

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 11-24-2021, 12:47 PM

I'm settling in to having two slightly-better-than-middle-of-the-road guitars.

I've decided I need one guitar for strumming & fingerpicking. For that I decided I want to to have a sitka spruce top and mahogany back & sides. Ideally it would have a slightly shorter than usual scale length, and a mid-size body like an OM or a 000.

The guitars I've considered for this are a Martin OM-18 or 000-18, a Gibson J-45 mahogany (all a stretch for my budget), Eastman E10 OM, or an Eastman E10SS/v. For now I'm using my spruce & mahogany '86 Guild D-25 in that role. It's getting to the point where it could use a neck reset. If it ever gets to that point then I'll just trade it in on an Eastman Violin Red E10SS/v.

Second is a guitar for flatpicking, single note melody, and bluegrass. For that I'd want a sitka spruce top, rosewood back & sides, and a larger body like a dreadnought or a Grand Auditorium.

I've considered a Martin D-28 or OM-28 (outside my budget) or an Eastman E40 OM or AC922CE (both so beautiful but a stretch for my budget), but for now I have my eyes on an Eastman AC422CE.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 11-24-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I have no idea what guitars will or won’t blow you away.
So true. I have driven for hours because I saw on the internet that there was a guitar store with a guitar in stock that I wanted to test drive. And after playing it for an hour I thought to myself "Well, it sounds like a guitar..."

But the last two guitars that I bought I just randomly took down from a guitar store shelf, played them for two minutes, and thought to myself "This is coming home with me."
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 11-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I am thankful for what I have but am keenly aware it’s a privilege to own the guitars I have. All of my acoustics are luthier-built. I am thankful that I can help support these artisans and keep an old-world craft alive. And I’m thankful for the friendships I’ve made in the process.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion