The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I believe I get what the OP is getting to: If you're not gigging, what are you working toward?

I understand and to some extent I agree. That particular itch, however, is not scratches solely by playing for live audiences. You can get the same validation from establishing a YouTube channel and garnering a following if you post consistently enough. I have made a few online musician friends this way, and let's face it, musicians are the best audience. There are also groups on Facebook where musicians post videos of their work; I have found that quite satisfying as well.

Yes, I do play for myself, I explore music because I'm curious about it. But I must admit, there is something about someone saying, "Man, that's good!"
This is the approach I have taken. I established a YouTube channel and learned to video record myself. It's kept me motivated.

- Glenn
Old 11-23-2021, 10:07 AM

Lots of wisdom here Thank You
I like the challenge of new songs (New to me)..It's just some days I wonder what is the use...
I love playing and singing, I just think this cooped up for the last 1.5 years is getting to us..
I guess in a way I feel I've got the best gear for gigging out...So no more challenge there lol
Ahhh heck...Just play and be happy!
Old 11-23-2021, 10:22 AM

That’s the appeal of bluegrass jams to me. You can play with people rather than for them (and so many “gigs” I’ve played have been laughably small). Limited worries about gear, and you can play outside when the weather’s nice.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I like the challenge of new songs (New to me)..It's just some days I wonder what is the use...
I love playing and singing, I just think this cooped up for the last 1.5 years is getting to us..
I guess in a way I feel I've got the best gear for gigging out...So no more challenge there lol
Agree,

The current global situation has been a challenge for everyone.

But if you're getting something out of it, regardless of the outcome, even if it's for our own personal enjoyment, it's a win.

Keep the gear handy, and your chops fresh, and don't worry about it day by day..

hey, you may find that you need all of it when you least expect it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-23-2021, 10:36 AM

Picking up some new material and playing just enough to keep my chops up - combination of the lockdown and a hostile takeover (don't ask...) did in what was becoming a successful band, and the local club/restaurant/coffeehouse scene isn't conducive to my playing out for reasons I can't get into here ; looking to relocate to a more favorable locale anyway - hopefully within the next year - so I and mine are thinking/planning more in terms of the future than the present...
Old 11-23-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
If you don't "work on new stuff" for your own satisfaction, then I don't know the answer.
+1 on this !

I do feel good when I play new stuff while developing new skills
as I need to play new chords and I also have some good feelings when
I hear my guitar finally do not sound as good as I used to believe and find a better one.
Yeah! Self achievement is driving me to play daily and explore new stuff.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you considered pop-up gigs in public spaces, jams, and open mics.

I enjoy sharing music with others, but that's not why I play. I play because it is a creative outlet and I enjoy hearing the guitar.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Have you considered pop-up gigs in public spaces, jams, and open mics.

I enjoy sharing music with others, but that's not why I play. I play because it is a creative outlet and I enjoy hearing the guitar.
I would have to search out those places.. I don't usually go out much only to gig or take the wife out but even that has been minimum ..

Actually after playing with Bands for over 10 years and Gospel for 2 years the idea of an open mic scares the be-jesus outta me lol. I'm use to being on stage with a group... Busking would of been my way of doing a solo act... but that hasn't worked out due to the pandemic .
Old 11-23-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
I've had some very gratifying moments performing in public over the years, but I do not play (or sing) for the purpose of entertaining others.

I play (and sing) because I like to play (and sing). I do it for me. The fact that other people enjoy it when I do it is a bonus, but it's not the motivation.

As for gear, gear is it's own reward. I didn't need all those motorcycles over the years. But they certainly enriched my life.

Life isn't always a picnic. It's okay to let yourself have some enjoyment to make up for the rough stuff that life sometimes throws at you.
Yes! I play (and sing) for myself.

And I'm 75 and still riding motorcycles.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:35 AM

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not at all trying to upset anybody. Just my perspective.
OP, are you not playing out because everything is closed or because your are worried about getting sick? You have control over both of those. You can move to a more open area that will let you play gigs. You can choose to not let fear affect your choices.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
...why bother, why buy new gear/ upgrade gear, why waste the time from family working on new stuff...Just Why???
Beyond enjoyment, it's also mental therapy.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-23-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
Don't take this the wrong way. I am not at all trying to upset anybody. Just my perspective.
OP, are you not playing out because everything is closed or because your are worried about getting sick? You have control over both of those. You can move to a more open area that will let you play gigs. You can choose to not let fear affect your choices.
Your right of course...I need to be more proactive in my search for opportunities.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:11 PM

Unlike the purists above, I do get a bigger kick out of playing for and with others than I do sitting in a corner by myself.

But there are plenty of ways to do that:
1) bluegrass jams / song circles
2) teach a beginner
3) YouTube posting
4) Actual gigs

Had a bluegrass jam last night.

I've been working with a duo that has a female singer, so lots of new material to learn. We have a gig friday.

I'm down to just one student, but it's super rewarding to help someone and watch them progress.

The YouTube solo thing doesn't work for me personally, but our blue grass group does have a channel.

All these combine to keep me learning, engaged, and motivated.

And looking at guitars, lol.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:27 PM

Start recording. If you like what it sounds like, put it on YouTube.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Sounds like the onset of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Get through the holidays and don't make any rash decisions before mid-January...
Very possibly. And, even more, the cumulative effects of the last year and a half. Opportunities for playing out dried up and still aren’t back to normal. The local open mic I had played at for years still hasn’t resumed, and I don’t know if it will. It’s been hard. I think, at the end of the day, we have to find the intrinsic reasons we make music. It’s okay to do it for ourselves alone. If all we do is play in our bedroom that’s ok. People do all kinds of things purely for their own pleasure and that’s ok. It helps make life worth living. Everything we do doesn’t have to be for the benefit of others and/or to make money. Furthermore, making music is one of the best things we can do for our mental health and for brain health. Tons of research has shown this to be true. Not saying you are, but you sound like you could be a tad depressed. Well, if you are playing music will help. If you aren’t, it will still help. As far as playing out, we’ll, if you still want to, make it happen. If there aren’t any organized opportunities in your area, then find a park bench or downtown are and play a few songs. Too cold for busking right now? How about making some videos for show and tell, Facebook, etc? In any event, I agree with the not making rash decisions right now. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

Last edited by jeanray1113; 11-23-2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Because I submitted before I meant to

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion