The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2021, 05:20 AM

Default Volume pedal for iPad

I would like to control the volume of my iPad with a pedal for pads/backing tracks. Would I need a high impedance or low impedance pedal - or would it even matter?

Bonus if I can use the pedal for my guitar on different occasions. I have a Baggs, batttery-powered pickup installed.

Is there a better option than a volume pedal? I would like to keep it simple and reasonably-priced.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Does the iPad you have sport a headphone jack? If so you could try just a cable that has a 3.5mm jack on one end and a 1/4" jack on the other (or use adapters to achieve the same thing).

Are you intending to use software that "listens" to your playing and provides instant backing tracks? Or just pre-recorded tracks? If the former, you might do well to get an audio interface for the ins and outs (or for the more technical terms - guzintas and guzoutas). Most of those accept 1/4" cables.

Dan
Old 11-23-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Never tried but I think something like the IK BlueTooth midi foot switch might support a midi vol pedal. Then BlueTooth into the iPad and the app. You may need to use something like AUM to host the app and provide BlueTooth Midi control.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:36 PM

I built a little volume pedal to do just this! My first pedal build- 1/8 in to a 25k A pot to a 1/4 out. I put a big knob on it and can roll volume up and down with my foot. You could also use a volume pedal for this but most of those have a 250k pot.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:20 AM

Anyone figure out how to do this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification