The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2021, 04:38 PM

I have a satin finish Larrivee OM-03W that I like to gig with. It cost me less than a thousand dollars when I bought it new in 1998. I put an LR Baggs RT system with an onboard preamp in it, which sounds great when paired with an instrument mic and good enough when played by itself with no additional sound reinforcement.

The guitar itself is balanced and projective and works well in all sorts of venues.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-10-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
If given the decision to play my cheap guitars and be pleasantly impressed with how they sound plugged in

OR

playing my high end stuff and being disappointed at how the nuances and character aren't translating (we all know we're at the mercy of pickups that never can quite get it, sound systems that will never get, and sound guys who want to hear what they want to hear).

I'll always choose the former with the giant major super awesome huge advantage being I don't put my expensive stuff in any harm's way (beer, damage, theft, etc).

No brainer for me.

The more I really pay attention to giggers, I almost NEVER see high end stuff. Lots of middle of the road stuff that is well loved, sounds and plays great, but rarely, if ever, do I see a Collings, SCGC, etc....almost never anything above that price point.
That's kinda where my thoughts were when I created this post. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

I've done about 65 shows so far this year, about 40 of them outdoors in the heat/humidity.
The outdoor gigs are always my Rainsong CH-OM with LR Baggs Element undersaddle.
For the indoor gigs, I've been using my Gibson G-00 with Baggs M1a mag.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 11-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

My gigs are at local restaurants, wineries, an outdoor market, and the like. I play seated, and my gigging guitar of choice is a Martin 00-28 with a K&K Pure Mini pickup -- played thru a Fishman Loudbox Artist amp. Comfort is important to me and the smaller body is great in that regard.

Enjoy playing those guitars my friends!

Cheers!
Old 11-10-2021, 04:51 PM

For the record, I had a Martin GPCPA4R, which I sold. I play in a weekly jam but a few years ago, went to a hunting cabin for a little playing and drinking. Although to me, it was the most expensive guitar I ever owned - I thought, hey, I bought it to play it, not keep it in the case. So along it came. I did The Old Man Down The Road by John Fogerty, opening riff and all and they all went nuts

Keep the stories coming everyone. I am reading every one - we need a like button.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Depends entirely on the player and his means. I've seen just about everything from sub-$200 to $10k-plus in local gigging. The vast majority of 'real giggers' who do it for a living (talking locals) play relatively inexpensive but reliable acoustic/electrics with built-in pickup systems. Lot's of Yamahas, Tak's, that kind of thing.

For me, I have two lanes - pure gigging that will plug into ANYTHING and sound great (Cole Clark Angel 2) and do-it-all bulletproof carbon fiber that can withstand anything and still sound pretty good, especially with my own gear (RainSong Nashville OM Shorty).
Old 11-10-2021, 05:24 PM

I am in an acoustic band, I use my Eastman E5SS with a Baggs Anthem.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:46 PM

• Rainsong JM1000/JM3000 plugged...
  • Martin D-15S/J12-15 or Avalon A-201 miked/unplugged...
  • '82 Ovation Custom Balladeer for close-quarters work and/or through an electric guitar amp...
  • Carlo Robelli J-45 copy w/Guitar Fetish dual-source mag/mic system (my former classroom guitar) for the sleazy side of town...
Old 11-10-2021, 06:53 PM

I use any of mine, depending upon my whims. In the variety of concerts i attend as an audience member, I see Martins most often, followed by Taylors, then at some distance, Gibsons, followed by a wide variety luthier-made instruments. Only once can I recall seeing a Seagull (it was quite something too!), and rarely a Takemine. But I don't frequent bars, just concerts.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I decided that I was going to "be" a singer/songwriter/guitarist, some 50+ years ago... never had a "real" job, not for more than a couple months...

With that in mind, I've never had either the inclination or wherewithal to own a bunch of guitars... whenever I gig, I use the guitar I own that works well... at this stage, that would be two of 'em; my trusty old Mark Angus 12 string (1983) and my 2012 Goodall Concert Jumbo. They both have Dazzo pickups in them.

If I were to have a "stage" guitar, I don't believe there's one out there that comes with factory electronics that I would want, although there are a few that could sound fine, I'm sure... but I would buy a guitar and have a Dazzo put into it; probably a Breedlove Oregon Series Concerto (sitka/myrtle).
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-10-2021, 07:31 PM

Guild F-2512 and a Yamaha LL16-D

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-10-2021, 08:41 PM

As always, it depends. An outdoor market, crowded restaurant/bar, listening room, background music, open mic, church band, etc. all are different gigs.

I can say (as I always do) that I've had good results with JJB piezoelectric pickups and a RedEye in multiple instruments - fiddles, ukulele, mandolins, resonators, banjos, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello, upright bass, even guitars - in all these playing situations. This is too simple for many here on the AGF.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

An extremely road-worn Santa Cruz maple/sitka model F with an UltraTonic pickup - sounds good, feels good, looks good -
Old 11-10-2021, 10:30 PM

As far as guitars go, I've owned (and still own) some very nice factory instruments but fairly recently went to smaller more intimate instruments.

The guitar I gig with as well as play consistently is a all hog 00 size fitted with a K&K Pure Mini. It's one that I jotted down all my wants in a guitar and then built it for myself. Since Covid hit the gigs were postponed, but I played two under the tent outside gigs in the last month before the cold weather hit.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:21 AM

My LR Baggs Anthem equipped guitars a wonderful on gigs.
But, if I would buy a gigging guitar, it would most probably be a Cole Clark.
If I was in a really loud band playing on small stages a Fender Acoustasonic.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion