The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2021, 12:59 PM

Smile Yamaha Stagepas

HI to everyone on this forum, I have just joined and hope I'm in the correct section to talk and
find out all there is to know about the amazing line aray system yamaha stagepas 1k, I have already seen a review on here by Zandit75
I have purchased 2 stagepas 1k and now in the process of buying link cables to use all channels
I have yet to use these live at a gig, has anyone here used these in a live gig and I would love to hear your feedback, also do you think its better use your own mixer in place of the on board digital mixers, and one thing that I do worry about is if someone fell against the system can spare spacers or the top speaker it'self be bought separately, any info at all or feedback and how you use this system and your thoughts on it would be appreciated,
Old 11-04-2021, 01:55 PM

I've had my 1k about a year and a half now.

1) get the dolly

2) I use a separate mixer with mine mostly for different effects, as well as phantom power.

3) when linking, carefully follow the instructions and determine how you'll be setting it up as a stereo rig, as a master/slave, etc. There are certain buttons that must be pushed and certain ways to hook them up depending on the setup intended.

4) though the app is nice, I prefer to control everything analog in case the app/Bluetooth looses connection

5) the sound is terrific. Way more pro-level sounding and performing than the L1C Bose. A bass cranks through it. The bass cab is really really good. The 1 knob eq takes some getting used to.

6) not sure about replacement parts
Old 11-04-2021, 05:58 PM

Smile mattie07 yamaha stagepas 1k

Thank you for your info, and really prompt reply
yes I think I will go the extra mile and purchase 2 dolly's even though I could nearly make them myself 😉 I'm just wondering do adding your own dry mixing desk actually take away from the whole purpose and magic sound of the stagepas, or do it make any difference at all?
I actually own a Dynacord powermax 5 pa rig and I use a Dynacord cms 1000 dry desk, great sound but Im getting on in years now and tired of pulling and hauling big gear around,
at my gigs I use about 5 channels
I did purchase 2 6m xlr to xlr cables from gear4music to be able to use all channels on both my stagepas's, but maybe taking on board what your doing and using your own desk maybe the right way forward since I know my own desk already,
So if I was to use my Dynacord cms desk, how do i go about connecting it up, and where should the controls of the stagepas be if using my own desk,
the eq on the stagepas don't really come into play then do it since using my own desk, a lot of questions yes, but once I get it sorted and up and running then I can start giving my honest feedback, still here with one side at the moment and it's Rockin the house excellent sound for sure and my ketron Audya 5 sounds amazing hearing sounds I never heard through my Dynacord P5 pa
I'd say once I get set up with the second stagepas in stereo I'll be selling the P5 😉🤣
Old 11-04-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie07 View Post
yes I think I will go the extra mile and purchase 2 dolly's even though I could nearly make them myself 😉 I'm just wondering do adding your own dry mixing desk actually take away from the whole purpose and magic sound of the stagepas, or do it make any difference at all?
I actually own a Dynacord powermax 5 pa rig and I use a Dynacord cms 1000 dry desk, great sound but Im getting on in years now and tired of pulling and hauling big gear around,
I did purchase 2 6m xlr to xlr cables from gear4music to be able to use all channels on both my stagepas's, but maybe taking on board what your doing and using your own desk maybe the right way forward since I know my own desk already,
So if I was to use my Dynacord cms desk, how do i go about connecting it up, and where should the controls of the stagepas be if using my own desk,
the eq on the stagepas don't really come into play then do it since using my own desk, a lot of questions yes, but once I get it sorted and up and running then I can start giving my honest feedback, still here with one side at the moment and it's Rockin the house excellent sound for sure and my ketron Audya 5 sounds amazing hearing sounds I never heard through my Dynacord P5 pa
I'd say once I get set up with the second stagepas in stereo I'll be selling the P5 😉🤣
I was onto Yamaha about spare spacer parts and here is their reply

Yes we do that part

Part number for B is VCD57600 - we unfortunately have no stock at present, but our warehouse in Germany have got some on order but we have no ETA on these at present. We are experiencing a slow movement in spares at present. You can order this part through our service center Sontec in Norwich who will order it from Germany for you. They can be reached on 01603 489421. They also have a form on their website at www.sontec.co.uk and they aim to reply in 5 working days.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:

yes I think I will go the extra mile and purchase 2 dolly's even though I could nearly make them myself [emoji6] I'm just wondering do adding your own dry mixing desk actually take away from the whole purpose and magic sound of the stagepas, or do it make any difference at all?

I'd say once I get set up with the second stagepas in stereo I'll be selling the P5 [emoji6][emoji1787]
On the "control" unit, which will be the Left side, go from the link out to the link in on the second Stagepas via XLR female to XLR male. Be sure to engage the appropriate button(s) as shown in the illustration.

Contrary to Yamaha's suggestion, do not input your mixing desk via the left unit's link input. Either go into channel 3 (TRS) R/L or channel 1 and channel 2 via XLR.

This gives you a stereo connection. Only inputs to the left side Stagepas play back. . If you mix in stereo, this is the ticket.

Early users reported that using the link input xlr with a stand alone mixer resulted in too little signal with insufficient gain to get a usable signal. Going into ch 3 via TRS will give enough gain. Going in ch 1 and ch 2 offers more gain still (if needed).

As for the eq, I like to start in the middle. If vocals get lost in the mix [muddy or inaudible] with other instruments, try sweeping toward "speech" for the overall eq control.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:32 AM

Smile mattie07

Thank you so much for your time and help on getting to know my yamaha stagepas 1k and how to get the best from it,
So just to recap, if I'm to use my own desk your saying to come out from L/R from my desk to TRS inputs on channel 3 of the yamaha, I presume using unbalanced or balanced Jack's, does if make a difference here??
and also your saying if I want more power to play with, to come out L/R from my desk xlr to xlr input channel 1 and channel 2 of the yamaha,
Then turn the master on both yamaha 1k''s to about
3 quarters way up and levels to about half way up hit the stereo button, and just use my desk as I normally would,
I suppose it would make more sense to use channels 1 and 2 on the yamaha stagepas XLR to XLR, funny thing also you should mention about eq, singing last night, I actually found it better at speech setting, I suppose it's different for everyone and for effect I use echo not on full but sweeping into it a little sounded just right, now today I'll hook up my desk and try your methods and report back, well I don't have to worry about this weekend just got cancelled due to rise in covid cases, thanks for all your help, I know also this will be of help to all who buys the yamaha stagepas 1k system, I'd say it takes a bit of getting use to especially the editor app, but once mastered, it will be hard to find something to beat this system for the price range
Old 11-05-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your time and help on getting to know my yamaha stagepas 1k and how to get the best from it,
So just to recap, if I'm to use my own desk your saying to come out from L/R from my desk to TRS inputs on channel 3 of the yamaha, I presume using unbalanced or balanced Jack's, does if make a difference here??
and also your saying if I want more power to play with, to come out L/R from my desk xlr to xlr input channel 1 and channel 2 of the yamaha,
Then turn the master on both yamaha 1k''s to about
3 quarters way up and levels to about half way up hit the stereo button, and just use my desk as I normally would,
I suppose it would make more sense to use channels 1 and 2 on the yamaha stagepas XLR to XLR, funny thing also you should mention about eq, singing last night, I actually found it better at speech setting, I suppose it's different for everyone and for effect I use echo not on full but sweeping into it a little sounded just right, now today I'll hook up my desk and try your methods and report back, well I don't have to worry about this weekend just got cancelled due to rise in covid cases, thanks for all your help, I know also this will be of help to all who buys the yamaha stagepas 1k system, I'd say it takes a bit of getting use to especially the editor app, but once mastered, it will be hard to find something to beat this system for the price range
You got it! The channel 3 inputs will give you the ability to mix in stereo (and yes, either balanced or unbalanced will be fine). With using the XLR and channels 1 and 2, I'm not 100% sure you'd get the stereo effect if that's what you're going for. It (stereo separation) may work, but I'm not sure.
As for the Master volume, yeah set it wherever you feel comfortable with the volume. I usually go 12 o'clock when using a mixer, and 3/4 or fully up when stand alone.

Speech on the main eq (Music Mode) was a must in a large hall/church I played in with a full band. It's still possible to get decent bass with that setting if you shape the individual channel eq to the mid scoop setting.
Glad you're enjoying it. I know mine isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Last outdoor gig my band used the 1k as our monitor with 4000watts going to FOH. It worked great for everyone except our drummer who was right next to our one guitar player's amp and the bass on the backline.

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:21 AM

Smile mattie07

Yeah drummers do tend to get the ears blasted off them with loud guitar amps and bass, as was the case with my big band one time, now you say your 1k won't be going anywhere sometime soon, well neither will mine, I just got cancelled this weekend coming and next weekend, cases are rising in ireland, hopefully 2022 will be a good year for all us musicians,
If I got a call tonight to play, if I'm to be completely honest, I would nearly go out and set up my Dynacord Powermax P5 system again,
Yeah cause I'm so used to it, and would find it hard to change over,
I know less weight is a major plus and time and effort setting up,
But can you imagine going into a crowded bar setting up a new system and praying to God
It will do its job similar to the P5
a few musician friends of mine said
You worry too much, and guaranteed they say the one yamaha stagepas will be just as good if not better sounding than the Dynacord P5 and even sound more balanced,
So I guess the only way to know is get to a venue earlier and firstly set up the stagepas and try it out, or rent out my local community hall for a day and experiment, but no point till my 2nd stagepas arrives, you have been more than helpful and put my mind at ease quite a bit, thank you, I'll keep you posted, think I'll order my dolls now ��
Old 11-22-2021, 08:11 PM

Smile Matt86ie yamaha stagepas 1k

Hi, tried my 2 stagepas 1ks linked together, excellent to have the extra. Channels, also just linked one to the other, then I decided to link up my external mixer, which is the Dynacord CMS 1000, but found it to be better in sound and power by just using 1ks own mixer,
Perhaps I have set the cms up wrongly
Out of my desk to channel 4 trs L/R
Set channel 4 to 12 o clock position then set my reverb and master at unity on my desk and set my echo and delay, played and sang using my backing track player, sounding ok but the I plugged directly to the 1k and there was a boost in volume and better sound, why is this, what did I do wrong that my volume decreased a little when I had my mixer connected?
Super pa, but getting to grips with functionality and what you can do to make it sing,
still no dolly's, way too expensive,
Old 11-23-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Hi, tried my 2 stagepas 1ks linked together, excellent to have the extra. Channels, also just linked one to the other, then I decided to link up my external mixer, which is the Dynacord CMS 1000, but found it to be better in sound and power by just using 1ks own mixer,
Perhaps I have set the cms up wrongly
Out of my desk to channel 4 trs L/R
Set channel 4 to 12 o clock position then set my reverb and master at unity on my desk and set my echo and delay, played and sang using my backing track player, sounding ok but the I plugged directly to the 1k and there was a boost in volume and better sound, why is this, what did I do wrong that my volume decreased a little when I had my mixer connected?
Super pa, but getting to grips with functionality and what you can do to make it sing,
still no dolly's, way too expensive,
Did you try turning up the level on channel 4? If so what happened then? Also, did you try going in on channels 1 (L) and 2 (R). It should be a line level signal, but if you use mic level, you would get a lot more boost in gain.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:15 PM

Smile Matt

HI hope all is well with you and family, still no live gig with my new toys yet, but this could all change this Saturday night, got no call as yet to say gig was cancelled, so hopefully will have a green light,
Anyway thanks for getting back to me, each and every time, much appreciated,
I may have got a little carried away and forgot to completely turn off the reverbs on the stagepas, and just use my Dynacord cms 1000 effects only,
also I did come out of my desk stereo L/R to channel 4 L/R on the stagepas,
now you say, correct me if I'm wrong,
Come out as normal from my desk, but left to Channel 1 on the stagepas and R to Channel 2 on the stagepas ?
then I suppose both EQs to 12 o clock,
and levels set to 12 o clock position, and master on the 1ks to 12 or 3 o clock??
once and for all hopefully I'll be ready to rock on Saturday, that's if I'm doing everything correctly LOL
Old 11-23-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
HI hope all is well with you and family, still no live gig with my new toys yet, but this could all change this Saturday night, got no call as yet to say gig was cancelled, so hopefully will have a green light,
I may have got a little carried away and forgot to completely turn off the reverbs on the stagepas, and just use my Dynacord cms 1000 effects only,
Come out as normal from my desk, but left to Channel 1 on the stagepas and R to Channel 2 on the stagepas ?
and levels set to 12 o clock position, and master on the 1ks to 12 or 3 o clock??
once and for all hopefully I'll be ready to rock on Saturday, that's if I'm doing everything correctly LOL
No problem. Yeah all is well. I run my master (red) volume at 3 o'clock or even all the way up just to make it easy in case it gets bumped. Try that and channels 1 and 2 and see how it goes. Curious to hear. Makes me want to hook mine back up. Current it's at my mom's house buried under other gear.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:48 PM

Smile Matt

Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 PM

Smile Matt

Yeah I know that feeling, I can certainly relate my friend, as a lot of musicians also, my Van parked up, paying tax and CVRT and insurance for what,
I have it taxed as own goods, so band equipment only, anyway getting back to our 1ks,
I will try as you said, if not getting a chance tomorrow will certainly the day after, and you can be sure I'll get back to you,
Also I got a brainwave, perhaps crazy idea
I was thinking the fact that I have 2 midi MP3 players, I could use just one channel to run the two of them by buying a cable
XLR to twin XLR, just arrived today and will also try this out, so!! Yeah still a little experimenting to do Lol, will it work? I wonder,
ok I could of course link the 2 1ks together and have 8 channels,
But if the cable I bought works my two players I'm home and dry, cause my set up for my One man band, requires 5 channels
1 vocal mic
2 guitar
3 player 1
4 player 2
5 keyboard, ketron audya 5
Old 11-26-2021, 07:41 PM

Well here's my update on my yahama 1ks,
spent over 24 hours, messing around with it, and you did ask me to try connecting my desk to channels 1 and 2, not a good idea really, I did hear buzzing, so I then changed out desks and same thing, I actually even went so far as to say I have 3 more days to decide if I'm going to keep onto my 1ks or return, on using the 1ks own mixer, I honestly don't know but I felt the eq no matter where I placed it, was lacking clarity on my vocal, I always like to have a little crispness on my vocal to help cut through the mix, but it just was not there, am I right ?
still if you don't want to go all out professional setup and sound critizing, the 1k still can put on a great performance,
But if you want to really make your show shine in a big crowded venue I would say I will will use my external desk, but linked to channel 4s Trs inputs
and its level to 12 and master to 3 o clock position, I am afraid to turn this all the way to full
position?
so the desks I tried were
thomann's the box t.mix 1202 FX, forget it,
the yamaha emx 5000 powered desk, ok but can't say for certain as I noticed my effects 2 was not working,
then I tried my Dynacord CMS 1000 desk and I have been singing for the last few hours with it, have to say excellent and very happy at home with it, tonight's gig will be the ultimate test,
the Dynacord has the famous 5/55 effects setting, 2 effects channels to play with, I see a lot of dry desks out there now only offering the 1 effects choice, which I feel is an absolute disaster for professional singers, me being semi pro, but yeah I look for clarity dept and warmth with that crisp vocal,
So do you know a desk that has all this to offer I can review, as I want to keep my cms 1000 specifically for my Dynacord P5 rig only, and buy a dam good pro mixer not breaking the bank, but
Match the performance of my cms 1000, which! Is a few years old now, but still I sing its praises,
What do you suggest I try,
packing down the gear for now, enough is enough for the last 2 days lol,
I still did not try the app, that's another day's work, but it's Bluetooth works a dream, bringing up YouTube videos and listening through the stagepas, yep Bluetooth will come in handy while sitting at the bar before performing lol
, now back to the drawing board and review my next Christmas present to myself, the mixer to make my 1ks shine ��

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
stagepas, yamaha