The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2021, 10:32 AM

Default Submarine pickup attachment

Hi. Is there anyone on here using the Submarine pickup on their 5th and 6th string on an acoustic guitar? I cannot get mine to stay in place ... the "sticky" pad simply doesn't work effectively enough. I've seen them used on electrics without a problem, but I think because on an acoustic the table of the guitar is vibrating maybe this causes the suction pad to eventually fail?

I'd love to know if anyone else has had issues, and if so how have you resolved it? I've tried gaffer tape without success 😢
Thanks
Old 10-22-2021, 04:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deantain View Post
Hi. Is there anyone on here using the Submarine pickup on their 5th and 6th string on an acoustic guitar? I cannot get mine to stay in place ... the "sticky" pad simply doesn't work effectively enough. I've seen them used on electrics without a problem, but I think because on an acoustic the table of the guitar is vibrating maybe this causes the suction pad to eventually fail?

I'd love to know if anyone else has had issues, and if so how have you resolved it? I've tried gaffer tape without success 😢
Thanks
Submarine sez:
"You can use the Submarine and Submarine Pro with most acoustic and electric guitars, but there are a few exceptions. It won’t work on nylon string guitars and it won’t fit on instruments with a very small gap between the string and body.

Some guitars with very arched tops or with scratch plate steps mean the microsuction pad may not work as desired. In these instances two (acid free, 3M) adhesive disc magnets are supplied. These can be stuck to your guitar to help overcome these difficult profiles."

HE
Old 11-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Default Had that problem

I had that problem with the original Submarine (not Pro). Their suction pad is simply not reliable. Had to use the included magnets, but even they weren't good enough for real-world gigging situations. You need to make some kind of custom attachment for it if you want to have peace of mind. Which is really a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deantain View Post

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification