The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 02:59 PM

Post Martin 000-10e Thoughts?

Hello all —

I am new to the forums, and, like many, I am in the market for a new moderately priced acoustic, something in that no-man’s land between 500 and 1000. As I am trying to improve my fingerpicking, I’m most interested in 000 body shapes.

While I know that there are many well-priced alternatives (i.e. Seagull, Breedlove, Guild, etc.), my search always leads me back to the Martin 000-10e. With solid wood top, back, and sides, it seems like a great option for the price (approx. $750). Plus, since Martins hold their value better than virtually any other guitar brand, I’d most likely be able to use it toward an upgrade down the road. I’ve been trying out a bunch of guitars in the price range, but nothing really stands out as a clear improvement to me (though, from what I know about these forums, I suspect many of you have different opinions).

I’m curious what the general consensus is on these guitars. Does anyone have one? What are others’ thoughts? I’ve searched the forums, but most of the feedback I’ve found is in response to older, non-solid wood versions of the model.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:58 PM

I noticed you have not received an answer, so I thought I would jump in. I am interested for the same reasons you are. I just wish a local store had one that I could at least try. Since they don’t, I am tempted to buy sight unseen. I have expectations of build quality, and feel like the 24.9 scale length and 1.75 nut width would work for my fat fingers. At that price, hard to see how you could go wrong with solid wood.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:09 PM

I’ve made a number of posts recently about the 000-13e.

While it’s not the same of course, I think it’s fair to say they’re good quality guitars and reasonably safe to buy sight unseen. My experience was really excellent. If it were me I’d go for it.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:14 PM

I just played a 000-10E in a nearby GC store. Super guitar!

But I have not played many other of similar size in this price range, so what good is my observation?

IMHO, just about any Martin is a fine insrument. Been biased that way for over 55 years.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 07-20-2020, 04:13 AM

Since this thread has been revived, here’s my take on this guitar. It’s a great guitar. I have always like the tone of an all-Sapele guitar and I just sold my Dreadnought Junior 2 (all-Sapele) guitar 4 days ago. I’m not having seller’s remorse as I bought a new 00-15M in December 2019 and thought this Dr Jr2 should go to someone else who plays it more often than I do.

The 000-10e is very similar to a 000-15M in that its tone is warm. Its tone is slightly brighter, has more overtones, and is made in Mexico instead of US. I think it is slightly less resonant because of its slightly heavier-built (like the Dr Jr2). If you like the all-Hog tone, you will probably like the all-Sapele tone too.

Hope the OP gets to read the inputs given. Watch the YT video below by Spoon Philips if you have not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMR...&feature=share
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 11-25-2021, 01:09 PM

Default Martin 000-10e Strings

Hi all,

I'm close to buying a new 000-10e, sight unseen except for photos, as a hopefully significant upgrade from my $120 starter Epi PR4E. I've read elsewhere (reviews I think) that some people on buying this or similar Martin's, have immediately changed the strings, as if there's something not to like about Martin strings. Except they didn't say why or what they changed to. Any thoughts or recommendations on this? I know there is no end to string brands, types and preferences but input is welcome anyway. I like a warm tone, hence my leaning to Martin and a solid Sapele guitar. I did try one a few months ago at another store and it definitely caught my attention. I know I could very likely find "similar" warm sounding guitar for less, but finding that guitar would be a challenge, and, well, it would never be a Martin if/when we decide to part ways.

Thx

Garth
Old 11-25-2021, 01:15 PM

Garth, I usually change out the strings on a new guitar because I have no idea how old they are and I have my favorite strings that sound the best to me.

There may be nothing wrong with the strings on a new guitar so play it and see what you think.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:09 PM

Never played one.

BUT things I like about it are that it’s a Martin, it has a 1 3/4 neck and is short scale. Those are nice features for finger style and resale. All IMHO.

Things that I would dig more into are the weight of the guitar. Not sure if these are a light build or not. Also I think the back and sides are not solid wood which may or not really matter.

Personally if I were in your shoes I’d look for a used Eastman at the top of your price point. You could snap a superior instrument that might even further suit your needs.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD18 View Post
Never played one.

BUT things I like about it are that it’s a Martin, it has a 1 3/4 neck and is short scale. Those are nice features for finger style and resale. All IMHO.

Things that I would dig more into are the weight of the guitar. Not sure if these are a light build or not. Also I think the back and sides are not solid wood which may or not really matter.

Personally if I were in your shoes I’d look for a used Eastman at the top of your price point. You could snap a superior instrument that might even further suit your needs.
The back and sides of the 000Jr-10 and 000CJr-10e are indeed solid. It's what makes these guitars such a great value. They sound great to my ears, and I like the nut width and scale length more that the smaller/shorter GS mini. I haven't found a better couch/travel guitar for anywhere near their prices.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:54 PM

I have the ooors1 the earlier full scale version. They are superb guitars. The string tension has always been quite high on mine, so it's a smart move that Martin has slightly shortened the scale with the revised ooo10e version. Great guitar.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Haven’t played one but if I didn’t have four Martins I’d consider one
For sure. There aren’t that many short scale affordable Martins. I think the 000-12 and 000-13 are short scale (or maybe just one of them, can’t remember). But other than that you have to go up to a 000-18 or maybe a 000-16 to get short scale.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillzVonSizzle View Post
Hello all —

I am new to the forums, and, like many, I am in the market for a new moderately priced acoustic, something in that no-man’s land between 500 and 1000. As I am trying to improve my fingerpicking, I’m most interested in 000 body shapes.

While I know that there are many well-priced alternatives (i.e. Seagull, Breedlove, Guild, etc.), my search always leads me back to the Martin 000-10e. With solid wood top, back, and sides, it seems like a great option for the price (approx. $750). Plus, since Martins hold their value better than virtually any other guitar brand, I’d most likely be able to use it toward an upgrade down the road. I’ve been trying out a bunch of guitars in the price range, but nothing really stands out as a clear improvement to me (though, from what I know about these forums, I suspect many of you have different opinions).

I’m curious what the general consensus is on these guitars. Does anyone have one? What are others’ thoughts? I’ve searched the forums, but most of the feedback I’ve found is in response to older, non-solid wood versions of the model.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Get ironclad return capability, then go for it if you have to order online. I've had a dud Martin before but boy oh boy do I love my humble 000M. Can't hold up with volume in a jam with the primo dreads but I'll bring the D-16GT or Gib D-45 for that.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 11-27-2021, 09:50 AM

I posted on this previously. Shortly thereafter, I bought the guitar through an online retailer who offered a free set-up. It is now my go-to guitar. I love the sound, the playability, fit and finish. It is hard to believe you can get the bag that comes with it in this price range. The only downside is the Fishman MX-T.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Not that it matters, but the original post is from February 2020, and it appears that the original poster stepped up to a 000-15SM in February of this year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillzVonSizzle View Post
Yesterday was NGD for me; my Martin 000-15SM finally arrived, and I am smitten. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the model, but it’s an all mahogany 12-fretter that fits within your budget; it’s amazingly playable, tonally rich, and visually gorgeous. Well worth taking one for a test drive.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...81&postcount=2

I played a 000-10e at Rudy’s and really liked it. It’s an excellent guitar for the price. I ended up getting a 000-15M, but would recommend the 000-10e for anyone looking for that sweet mahogany sound in a guitar for under $1k. One feature of the 10e that I prefer over the 15M is the shorter scale. Not as particular about the wider nut, but there is that, too. In some ways, the 10e gives you some of the features of the 15SM, with the body shape of the 15M.

Last edited by sinistral; 11-27-2021 at 10:21 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin, martin 000-10e, under 1000