The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 AM

I have played a number of McPherson's side by side, including the newer camrielle series. Some of the tonal criticisms are mitigated by depending on what model you play. They are all heavy which seems come from a really intense focus on manipulating the soundboard for optimum tone and response (their braces are just beautiful if you ever look inside one) - meaning that they have a crazy neck joint, heavy neck, and floating fingerboard extension over the top of the guitar that, with all its accompanying engineering, I suspect adds up to a fair bit of the weight.

For ones that seem to boomy, you can always go thinner in body depth to calm it down, similar to a prairie state or OM grand style guitar versus a dread. They make guitars that range from 3"-5" deep (in .5" increments). This makes a big difference in the acoustic impressions of the guitar. I think they do sound good.

I think the one thing they seemed to all have in common to me was seeming a little bit muted compared to a traditionally built acoustic, not sure if it was a combination of body depth, and overall weight, but the dynamic range didn't seem quite as accessible and the highs never seemed to be able to drive the soundboard like you would hope. I love a guitar that just vibrates all over. These don't. I think one of the things they are really great at, is being stage guitars due to their feedback resistance and very even response.

Worth it ? There is no worth it ! But for the record, I probably wouldn't buy one unless I was a working guitarist that needed a great, stable, stage guitar.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 AM

Default McPherson

Love mine...Sounds wonderful...worth every penny!

The McPherson Build site is Sparta is second to none...As well as the gifted luthiers...unbelievably talented in what they do and build.

Tremendous - and unequaled - wood selection.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them...but, as others have noted, you better have some $$$.

Just my humble opinion.

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...
Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

They have one of the most intriguing carbon fiber guitars now, the standard size just came out.

http://kevinmichaelguitars.com
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

I had a McPherson. One of my many great disappointments and created a huge GAS craving for me. It was one of the more beautiful woods I have ever seen on a guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
custom, epiphone, gibson, high end, mcpherson