The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-24-2021, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Walnut ..

...a very nice looking walnut back Mark, once again.

I can also attest to the back bracing.. it is so nicely put together it looks almost like organically grown. ..in my own copy that is ;o)

How - if it does - does english walnut differ sonically from black and claro ?

Looking forward to seeing this Greta come together !

Good those build threads exist, it helps with not having an own one (for a change ;o) and also the waiting for a next progress report is not so ‚painful‘.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
...a very nice looking walnut back Mark, once again.

I can also attest to the back bracing.. it is so nicely put together it looks almost like organically grown. ..in my own copy that is ;o)

How - if it does - does english walnut differ sonically from black and claro ?

Looking forward to seeing this Greta come together !

Good those build threads exist, it helps with not having an own one (for a change ;o) and also the waiting for a next progress report is not so ‚painful‘.
Thanks Lonzo, English Walnut is a little stiffer and heavier than Black and Claro Walnut. With that we can look for a little more overtones when optimized. I have to write "a little more" again as there isn't a lot of difference.

Here are a couple more pictures of the top braces going on the the sides being bent:

M

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 11-25-2021, 10:14 PM

Mark, guess this is work coming out of the new Vermont shop. You state that you have set up a few previous shops. Has it gotten any easier, I would think by now you pretty well know what you want and don't what in a shop, tools, and set ups. Hopefully some of your great pics in the future.

Bruce,
Old 11-26-2021, 05:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Mark, guess this is work coming out of the new Vermont shop. You state that you have set up a few previous shops. Has it gotten any easier, I would think by now you pretty well know what you want and don't what in a shop, tools, and set ups. Hopefully some of your great pics in the future.

Bruce,
Thanks Bruce. Yes, this is the first guitar coming out of my new location. I am using this guitar build to fine tune my initial studio setup. I will be hanging a ceiling with down lights in the main room but before installing the lights I need to be sure the workstations are exactly where I want them.

It’s true that I’ve set up a number of shops now and I do have well defined ideas of what I want and don’t want. This actually makes setting up much more complicated. I’m glad to be in the final stretch now, photos will follow!

m

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 11-26-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks ukejon!

I'll be working the finish on this 00 for awhile so there won't be much new to show for a bit. However, my 000 nylon crossover guitar is through the finish process and just sparkles!

I have the neck set, the strap buttons are in and I have mounted the Black Ebony Knilling planetary geared tuning pegs. Today I am finishing up Black Ebony the tie bridge and will be gluing it on:

More to come!
Mark
Wow!!! A piece of art!!!
Old 11-26-2021, 04:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulD View Post
Wow!!! A piece of art!!!
Thanks JohnPaulD and welcome to the forum!

Old 11-27-2021, 11:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Throated Sound Port

With the sides bent it is time to make the end and heel blocks which join the sides. In this case the guitar is getting one of my throated sound ports. The throat is an integral part of the heel block. This idea is to lower the air resistance of a typical sound port and to focus the sound toward the player:

I'm using a very lightweight Spanish Cedar for this to keep the weight down and Spanish Cedar will give it nice breath.

m

Old 11-28-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
With the sides bent it is time to make the end and heel blocks which join the sides. In this case the guitar is getting one of my throated sound ports. The throat is an integral part of the heel block. This idea is to lower the air resistance of a typical sound port and to focus the sound toward the player:

I'm using a very lightweight Spanish Cedar for this to keep the weight down and Spanish Cedar will give it nice breath.

m
Mark, that is one of the coolest innovations I’ve seen! Brilliant!
Old 11-29-2021, 04:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark, that is one of the coolest innovations I’ve seen! Brilliant!
Thanks Treenewt, I’ve had it suggested that I should get a patent on this design but, it’s so hard to do I don’t think anyone will copy it.

m

Old 11-29-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Treenewt, I’ve had it suggested that I should get a patent on this design but, it’s so hard to do I don’t think anyone will copy it.

m
Hahaha I’d imagine most of us wouldn’t even know where to begin!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Setting up Sides

I have glued in the support for the arm bevel and am now installing the Spanish Cedar kerfing. I use the triangular style kerfing with the cuts toward the interior of the guitar. Those who have set up a recording studios may understand the advantage of controlling standing waves.

m

Old 11-30-2021, 01:15 PM

My favorite thing about the AGF is the guitar build posts. Your builds are just stunningly gorgeous. All of them. The designs are so well conceived, too. This particular guitar is breathtaking. I don't even have the words...
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-01-2021, 06:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
My favorite thing about the AGF is the guitar build posts. Your builds are just stunningly gorgeous. All of them. The designs are so well conceived, too. This particular guitar is breathtaking. I don't even have the words...
Thank you Carol, that was nice of you to say!

m

Old 12-01-2021, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've got the sides pretty well ready to go. Tomorrow I start closing up the body;

m

Old 12-02-2021, 10:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default On Goes the Back

I voiced then back today and got everything ready so I could go ahead and glue on the back:

Tomorrow I will be voicing and installing the top.

Thanks for following!
m

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop