The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 12:27 PM

Angela Petrelli is pretty good and a great teacher as well.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:06 PM

Add Mimi Fox and Emily Remler to that list!
Barb
Old 11-26-2021, 01:36 PM

Even in pre-pandemic times it was TOUGH to get noticed as a man or woman guitarist.

Case in point, Miss Zoe McCulloch who hails from Newcastle, England. Proud to say Zoe has been a near and dear friend of mine for several decades.

Zoe has shared the stage with the likes of James Burton, Albert Lee, Hank Marvin, The Spotnicks, Tommy Emmanuel, and Keith Richards. This lady can play a guitar effortlessly and leave your eyes watering. Yet despite the backing of the folks above, her career never took off and she has ended touring to pursue other interests.

Should also mention she is one of the 20 recipients of a Buddy Holly Commemorative acoustic guitar along with the likes of Sir Paul McCartney. Rarified atmosphere indeed.

As they say, life isn't always fair even when you have some major support behind you.

But that doesn't mean you should give up the dream. Just be sure you have something to fall back on because the odds are really stacked against you, man or woman. Just ask any of those MANY virtuoso guitarists playing on the street corners of Nashville.

Zoe McCulloch:

Old 11-26-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I think they are all out playing their guitars and singing rather than geeking out on a guitar forum over the instruments and toys
True, also I have other musical interests (jazz and rock) above and beyond acoustic guitar, so I belong to other guitar forums, that are more in line with those interests. Also, a lot of us don't want to post just for the sake of posting.

Oh, before I forget, times are a lot better for us women as players, IMO, than even 20 years ago. I remember as a younger player, all too often being treated like a curiosity. Still, I will admit, that even when I go to my favorite guitar shop (one of the reasons I go to it, is because they take me seriously as a player, instead just some female wannabe pop star, who just happens to strum a few chords for appearance sake), the significant majority of guitarists I see there are guys.

For players, don't forget Lita Ford (who frankly when they were both in the Runaways, put Joan Jett to shame - Joan is just a sloppy player in the vein of Keith Richards), and Gwennifer Raymond, who I found out about in a thread in this forum.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 11-26-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPy2MOQ8B7M

We need to get out more...
Old 11-27-2021, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I see a lot of young women guitarist trying too hard to look sexy on Instagram while playing guitar. Not sure what that phenomenon is.
I see lots of young women guitarists who don't have to try looking sexy, because they're just sexy looking gals, who play guitar like men do, usually to accompany their singing.....

Don
Old 11-27-2021, 02:38 AM

Somehow Memphis Minnie got neglected to be mentioned, but that has been happening for 90 years now. Memphis Minnie wrote over 200 songs that were recorded. She pioneered the early days of national steel and electric guitar before most musicians and influenced so many other players, like sister rosetta thorpe, chuck berry, muddy waters, big momma thorton to modern players like Bonnie Rait, lucinda Williams and Led Zepplin. Her music has been covered by led zepplin, jefferson airplane and donovan and many others. Many music historians attribute Memphis Minnie as being responsible for inventing the roots of rock and roll.

And my personal favorite who I was fortunate to be able to take some lessons from in the 80's, Etta Baker. She is like Elizabeth Cotton on steroids and worth listening to some of her music if you have not heard her play.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:20 AM
Eric Skye

I'm biased, but my duo partner Jamie Stillway inspires me to no end... https://youtu.be/qOHxhwv3W9U
Old 11-27-2021, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I'm biased, but my duo partner Jamie Stillway inspires me to no end... https://youtu.be/qOHxhwv3W9U
Wow! Amazing playing!
Old 11-27-2021, 07:49 AM

Big second votes for Bonnie Raitt, Nancy Wilson, Tracy Chapman, Joni Mitchell and Sierra Ferrell.

Also suggest checking out young lady from the West coast named Angela Petrilli.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:02 AM

Mary Flower, Mary Gauthier, Suzanne Vega.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:39 PM

Laura Marling
Old 11-28-2021, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Anais Mitchell
Old 11-28-2021, 07:42 PM

They're with the Ent wives.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
...Miss Zoe McCulloch who hails from Newcastle, England. Proud to say Zoe has been a near and dear friend of mine for several decades.

Zoe has shared the stage with the likes of James Burton, Albert Lee, Hank Marvin, The Spotnicks, Tommy Emmanuel, and Keith Richards. This lady can play a guitar effortlessly and leave your eyes watering. Yet despite the backing of the folks above, her career never took off and she has ended touring to pursue other interests...

Sorry to hear she's off the road - I'm a major Crickettes fan (as well as early/mid-60's guitar instrumentals in general), and it's a shame she/they never really got their just due; for those who aren't familiar, here's their version of Duane Eddy's (by way of the Shadows) "Theme For Something Really Important":

- and "Father of Surf Guitar" Dick Dale's "Misirlou":

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion