The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2021, 03:05 PM

Default Embrace the Fishman MX-T

Let me begin by saying that I fully embrace my Fishman MX-T under-saddle pickup. Yes, “embrace” is one of those modern overused words, but its definition suits my feelings. I used to call myself an acoustic purist but became enamoured by the prospect of owning the very unique, modern, and easy playing Martin SC13e acoustic/electric. Except for the nay-sayers of the “Koa Fine Veneer,” the only other prevalent gripe is the pickup system: Fishman MX-T. Being the purist I thought that I was, I decided that I didn't need an amp - the guitar sounded great unplugged.
I continued to read reviews about my latest acquisition and was somewhat dismayed by all the negative comments about its pickup system and its inability to produce a true acoustic voice. Being the 60’s rebel I am, I set out to prove the MX-T naysayers wrong. I bought me a good acoustic amp, played with the EQ, and found out for myself - I was wrong. No, I couldn't get that genuine acoustic tone, with all my tweaking, from that undersaddle pickup. Then came my epiphany: I already have all the acoustic sound I need - unplugged! Why can't I simply enjoy the electric sound - after all, it is an acoustic/electric. And haven't we heard time and time again about the unique voice/sound/vibe of numerous electric guitars? They are all different and have unique tones - all dependent totally on the electronics (except for some hollow body or semi-hollow body models). Like my son says: “You can make an electric guitar out of a block of wood and a stick for the neck - Isn’t that what a Stratocaster or a Les Paul is?”
So guys, consider my SC13e a hollow-body electric, with countless more innovations acoustically than a Strat or an LP (blocks of wood with a stick), whether powered by a Fishman MX-T, LR Baggs, K&K, Seymour Duncan, or what-have-you.
So does my SC13e with MX-T plugged in have that sweet acoustic voice? Nope. Does it sound like an electric? Yep, and a dadgummed good one!

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E

Last edited by phil0021; 11-20-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm surprised that you haven't heard from anyone who wants to stone you and kick you out of the village.

Do you play electric? What are you plugging the SC-13 into? I've been wondering how it would sound plugged into something like a Blues Junior or even a modeling amp.

It's made and marketing for electric players and it seems to be selling well. All I can say is ''Rock On''!!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:27 AM

I've actually wondered if my futile quest for the acoustic sound (with the Acoustic brand, acoustic amp: A20) was a poor choice. Maybe an electric amp could have given me greater scope for an electric sound - since I seem to have waded into that territory. Yeah, I've been a bit surprised I haven't gotten a rise out of some "block of wood and stick" player. And nope, I don't have an electric. I owned a Gibson SG with a tiny Marshall amp for about 24 hours. I sent it back after finding out I couldn't play anything without bending the strings and throwing it off-key.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E

Last edited by phil0021; 11-24-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

No but seriously. I get your point

I have two lovely Martins with Sonitones, and I understand the MX-T is that pickup plus a tweak or so--built-in tuner or something. And yes, it's an inferior pickup, by popular acclaim. But it's totally gigable especially if you abandon efforts to make it sound like "my guitar but louder" with EQ tweaks. Outboard effects *can* get you closer--one cheaper route is the Acoustic Resonance on the Boss AD-2, or the more expensive and much more effective Tonedexter. The funny thing is, on the latter, the tone I ended up using for a gig this summer was a bit electric-y, and very pleasant. I do plan to get something closer to an acoustic sound though.

Last of all, I realized after listening to actually good musicians play my guitar that dialing back aggressive strumming--one of my weaknesses--takes out a lot of the quack.

Bottom line though, if you like your sound, rock on! It's been said here many times, easily 95% of your typical audience doesn't care about tone as much as we do. If you like what you hear and play and entertain well, that's the brass ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simpsons torches.jpg (41.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 09:46 AM

Send me a recording, mic and pickup at the same time (separate files, or PuP left Mic right) and I'll generate you an IR to get that more acoustic tone you don't require.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-24-2021, 01:40 PM

Not really understanding the OP's point? The SC13e was designed as a stage instrument to be plugged in, so going in and after plunking down 1.5K, you would expect the plugged in sound to be great or at least better than average, right? But what do you get? The cheapest, most basic and bottom of the ladder, Sonitone pickup. Oh excuse me...MX-T...lol. If you look at the pickup inside the guitar you will see it's just a Sonicore with a separate tuner hooked into the system. You can force yourself to like any amplified sound if you try hard enough, but those of us that were planning on gigging with this guitar weekly and don't really care too much about the unamplified sound were surely expecting a little more from Martin on this one. I for one, could care less about my plugged in sound sounding like "my guitar, only louder". I just want a pleasant tone that I can listen to all night, while I play for folks in bars and restaurants.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Send me a recording, mic and pickup at the same time (separate files, or PuP left Mic right) and I'll generate you an IR to get that more acoustic tone you don't require.

Thanks for your help, but I don't even own a mic. I just play for my own pleasure. Your suggestion did inspire me to record (on my iPhone) with and without amplification, which helped me to tweak it a bit more toward an authentic sound.

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 11-24-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Not really understanding the OP's point? The SC13e was designed as a stage instrument to be plugged in, so going in and after plunking down 1.5K, you would expect the plugged in sound to be great or at least better than average, right? But what do you get? The cheapest, most basic and bottom of the ladder, Sonitone pickup. Oh excuse me...MX-T...lol. If you look at the pickup inside the guitar you will see it's just a Sonicore with a separate tuner hooked into the system. You can force yourself to like any amplified sound if you try hard enough, but those of us that were planning on gigging with this guitar weekly and don't really care too much about the unamplified sound were surely expecting a little more from Martin on this one. I for one, could care less about my plugged in sound sounding like "my guitar, only louder". I just want a pleasant tone that I can listen to all night, while I play for folks in bars and restaurants.

So....Do you have an SC13e? If so, what pickup did you settle with?

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E

Last edited by phil0021; 11-24-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0021 View Post
So....Do you have an SC13e? If so, what pickup did you settle with?
Yes I do and I love it for long gigs for it's easy playability. I currently have the stock pickup in it and am trying to decide how to proceed. Considering pedals and/or pickup change. With some help I can get it to sound OK, but straight in is pretty awful.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:45 PM

Yes my guitar only louder is a myth.
Best is to come up with a pleasing sound that
Wont send people running. Ha..if you gig out a lot
then t criteria is different than if you play at home. If you
adjust settings in your livingroom it may not sound
As sweet when your at the bar and have to turn up.
Here is an article that i found facinating.
And is a great read when you get some time.
https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/fletcher-munson-curve/
There is a plethora of out board gear designed
To disguise the sound of a not so good pickup.
The 2 i use all the time are the grace felix and
Line 6 helix stomp. Both have a lot of tweaking
Capability. Youbcan certainly spend more on outnoard
Gear than you did on your guitar. You just may
want to start with a different pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification