The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-28-2022, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Storage Shelves For Laying Guitars Flat

Any suggestions on plans or a source for shelves (the more affordable the better) you've bought for about 5 guitars, that allows them to lay flat? I bought a gorilla shelving unit, but it's pretty industrial looking. It looks better in the garage. I may build something, but wondering if anyone has been down this road and found a solution they'd be willing share (pics welcome).

I don't really care if you can open them when they are laying in the shelving unit in their cases. Though maybe I'd design it so one "featured" guitar that I'm playing a lot at the time had enough room for me to open the case, while it was laying in the shelf. I was able to do that with the gorilla shelf and it was nice.

I live in the NE where it gets very dry in the winter. My most cost effective humidity solution is using humidipaks and keepin the guitars in their cases, but I like to lay them flat. If, worst case, the humidipak ever leaked, at least it would just fail inside of it's protective pouch, in theory, as long as I lay them flat. Hence the desire for shelving where I can lay multiple guitars flat.

I don't think I can go wall mounted, as the room for my music endeavors seems to shift around every few years.

Please don't critique my humidity measures, they're the best I've found thus far. I'd love a humidity maintained cabinet of some kind, but cost of one that I'd trust is prohibitive at this moment.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited by ZigZuege; 08-29-2022 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-29-2022, 06:11 AM

Flat you want? OK, a simple way of dressing up the industrial-looking shelving you have would be to put a wood face on it, boards on the vertical outsides and thin ones along the exposed edge of each shelf.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

That's a good point - never thought of just dressing up something industrial. Thank you.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Laying them flat is going to eat up more floor space as opposed to standing the cases vertical. Sound hole humidifiers still work in most any angle and in the sound hole type is what gives the guitar body wood and FB the most humidification benefit.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:16 AM

I believe D’Addario recommends that guitars should be lain flat when using humidipaks.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:59 PM

Every now and then Costco has wire rack shelving at decent prices, if your in a location that has a Costco.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-29-2022, 04:06 PM

What about converting an old dresser like this person did?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/70...7967c2c4ea.jpg

Old 08-29-2022, 10:05 PM

Several years ago I purchased a 18"deep X 48" length X 72" tall wire rack shelving unit in a black wrinkle finish that works great, 5 shelves, very sturdy and looks nice.

Can't recall where I purchased it but likely one of the Home Depot, Lowes type places, check those out.

Had to have humidifiers in the cases and wanted guitars to lie flat. Brand is Shelftech Systems
Old 08-30-2022, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Every now and then Costco has wire rack shelving at decent prices, if your in a location that has a Costco.
+1 - got three of them in my music room/home office, use them mostly for electronic gear (amps, PA equipment, utility cases) and guitar setup/maintenance tools but they also work well with shorter guitar cases...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cases, humidity, shelving, solution, storage