The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Inexpensive composite guitar

I live in GA where the humidity gets pretty bad. I would like a "beater" guitar that will not be affected by humidity and high temperatures. I would like to play while sitting on the porch. I also have a band that sometimes does outside concerts for our church. I’m looking for a dreadnaught size guitar. I don't need electrionics. Problem is I’m not looking to spend near enough money to buy a CA or Rainsong. Is there perhaps an imported guitar made of some sort of composite material that can fit my bill?

Thanks.

P.S. That's what the alphabet would look like if there was no Q and R.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 PM

i have a washburn d8 that has an amazing sound for the price...actually i love it...
Old 04-19-2006, 01:35 PM

Ovation Applause will do the trick for xxx bucks I have a AE28 its A/E its good for its price.

Last edited by cotten; 04-19-2006 at 11:18 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2, "No Guitar Price Discussion." Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

Default Beater Ovation/Applause

Heck, the AA28 is straight acoustic and it's hard to beat. I for one like the Ovation/Applause, but the electronics on the low end models aren't worth much.

The 'lyrachord' backs make the Ovations sound kind of 'tinny' with cheaper strings. I lavished a set of Elixirs on mine and it made all the difference in the world.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:27 PM

I have got a Samick for $xxx that sounds amazing. That's my "beat up" guitar, it's the one that goes travelling with me...

I keep my prized one safely at home

Last edited by cotten; 04-19-2006 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Rule 2 stikes again!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM

The Emerald Fusion, as far as I know, is the least expensive all composite guitar.
It costs around xxx dollars new. Got to www.emeraldguitars.com

It is not a dreadnought, though.

gerardo1000

Last edited by cotten; 04-19-2006 at 11:20 PM. Reason: gotta go get some more x's if this keeps up....
Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Check out the Wasburn D-10S or the deluxe.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjordan
I live in GA where the humidity gets pretty bad. I would like a "beater" guitar that will not be affected by humidity and high temperatures. I would like to play while sitting on the porch. I also have a band that sometimes does outside concerts for our church....
Funny, when I got home this evening, near Atlanta, I sat out on my front porch, playing my Taylor 914 to relax. Yes, the humidity was high today, but I wasn't out there long enough to do any damage. Same thing when I've used it outdoors for our church. But you asked about a beater that will not be affected.

I'd suggest a good, used Ovation. (Quick, somebody write that down. Cotten recommended an Ovation! - I normally don't care for them much, personally.) But for what you need, I think one would fill the bill nicely, especially when you do plug in. The rounded back takes some getting used to, but the sound and feel are not bad, considering the price you might pay for a used one in decent shape.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber