The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-06-2005, 02:49 PM

Cool Carbon Fiber

I have been a Gibson fan since my first guitar in 1963 and have had numerous models. I currently own a 63 Humminbird and a 05 J185-EC. I just purchsed a used Rainsong WS-1000 from e-bay...this thing is a cannon. I am now using it almost exclusively as my "finger pick" guitar. Played at a bluegrass event last night and everyone was comme nting on both the sound and the volume. Anyone else taken the carbon fibre challenge?????

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 10-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Rocket Scientist

I once helped build an airplane our of carbon fibre (and Kevlar), but I've never owned a carbon fibre guitar. I did play the Rainsong 12er once, very nice guitar.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:10 PM

I've become very intrigued by the whole concept. People who own either Rainsong, CA, or Emerald seem to invariably end up smitten by the entire concept and the idea of being impervious to the whims of climate is a wonderful attraction. In the case of Emerald, they even make a 7-string which really has my attention.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:11 PM

Although not totally carbon, Ovation has been building their Adamas line for 30 yrs. Lycrachord body w/ carbon tops. Full voice and even tone across the range. Nice guitars.

Blues
Old 10-06-2005, 05:27 PM

if I were to do all over again I would definitely get my rainsong again....without hesitation.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 PM

Lets face it..with the huge costs of fuel and the depletion of the rainforests we have to find alternative materials for many things....guitars included. It seems logical to me that with advances in engineering, hybrid polymers and resins there is no good reason why we shouldn't be seeing many innovations. I haven't had the opportunity to play an all composite guitar but I'd like to.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

So what are the Rainsongs with the laminated wood back and sides like? Do they sound as good as a laminated with a solid wood top? Are they as sturdy as a laminated top instrument? Basically, are they any better than a comparable 'regular' guitar?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:06 PM

I'm trying to accumulate enough political capital with my wife to someday step into the carbon fiber world. . .

Here's my question: It's been at least a year since I've been guitar shopping (because I've been married for about a year -- hmmmm. . . .) and at that time, I noticed what I perceived to be a significant difference in the 'fit and finish' of the Rainsongs and the CA guitars. The Rainsongs, while beautiful on the outside, looked. . . overlooked on the inside -- the ends of fibers dangling, etc -- while the CA's were smooth and, well, finished inside and out. Has anyone else noticed that, or has it changed?

(And flights to Dublin from Cincy are under 3 Franklins right now, so maybe I'll take my wife over -- thus scoring MAJOR political points -- and pick up and Emerald while I'm there!)
2005 Airedale "Wrigley"

2007 Son "Nolan"

"There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept." -- Ansel Adams
Old 10-07-2005, 04:03 AM

I'm intrigued by the Rainsong series of guitars, and have played the smaller body at a music store that, unbelievably, had almost, if not all, of the line in stock. It sounded very good, with excellent volume, and was very comfortable also.

I have a question for all you Rainsong owners out there. They say on their web site that the neck is strong enough that there is no need for a truss rod, and that each guitar is set up to have the optimum neck angle. That being the case, is it therefore impossible to adjust neck angle as part of a "normal" set up? Is a saddle height adjustment the only way to change action on a Rainsong?
Old 10-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonGuy
I have been a Gibson fan since my first guitar in 1963 and have had numerous models. I currently own a 63 Humminbird and a 05 J185-EC. I just purchsed a used Rainsong WS-1000 from e-bay...this thing is a cannon. I am now using it almost exclusively as my "finger pick" guitar. Played at a bluegrass event last night and everyone was comme nting on both the sound and the volume. Anyone else taken the carbon fibre challenge?????
I have to try one of those. I wonder if GC has them in stock.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:35 AM

Carbon fiber is extremely strong. The front half (know as the tub) of Indy Cars and all the Formula One cars are made of carbon fibre. They take thousands of pounds of load without deflecting. All the body work is carbon fibre too. Same goes for all the aerodynamic wings and they create and transfer thousands of pounds of aerodynamic force to the car.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 AM

Thumbs up Rainsong

I'll jump back in here, just a couple of points. I purchased the WS1000 used off of e-bay and, accordingly, inspected it very carefully. The fit and finish (on this particular guitar) is impeccable! It came with an "extra" saddle since apparently the previous owner had switched out the factory saddle (both appear to be Tusq). When I checked the dirrerences, the one installed was slightly higher (by 5/1000). I believe that the action adjustment can only be accomplished by a nut and saddle change.

As far as the hybrids are concerned, I played on in NYC and was impressed by the sound but did have concerns about the long term durability. I also thought that the 100% carbon fibre guitares that I played had better sustain and volume. That being said, the hybrids were amazing for the price!

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 10-07-2005, 12:29 PM

The lower priced Rainsongs (Advanced series) have truss rods.

Go to their site and click on the Advanced series. (For some reason I have lost the ability to copy/paste.)

Goya GG-5
Blueridge BR-160
Blueridge BG-60
Pimental Requinto 1977
Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 PM

For some reason I just can't warm myself up to the composite guitars out there. As long as wood is a viable option supply wise and I think it always will be in some form...i'll take solid wood.

Now..if I needed something very resistant to climate change and as indestructible as possible..well maybe.

I've always thought carbon fibre was an interesting material but when it comes to guitars my tastes are more traditional I guess.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 10-07-2005, 01:58 PM

I have had a CA Bluegrass Performer for almost a year. It has survived better than I could ever expect. I have knocked it over, dropped a Maglite flashlight on the top, etc, with only a little scratch on the side of the upper bout. Soundwise, I compare it (As well as the other who play it) to a high end wooden guitar. Like Rainsong's it is extremely clear in tone, and as generally said well balanced. While advertised for bluegrass, it works equally well for fingerpicking because of the clearness of the indivual strings. It is extremely well put together both inside and out. I have also seen some Rain that looked a little unfinished inside-though all played and sounded excellent. The CA is also extremely light-a plus for giging (not me) and has the locking tuners so changing strings is a snap. The one thing I miss when I play it is that vibration that goes right trough your body when you are strumming away on a wooden guitar. Other than that it is my go to guitar- though I do love my Larrivee. If I had to do it again would definitely buy it. Patrick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber