The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 PM

Default Yamaha Red Label series

I don't know if it's out yet in the US but I got to try one a few days back. I hope I could help with anyone who's interested with the instrument.

1) When I saw the instrument it was brand new. There were a whole bunch of red label series, from their 3 variants to 5 variants, with pickup or no pickup. I got to try the 5 series without the pickup.

2) The sound was great. I'm not going to say 'it was great for a $1,000+ guitar', it was actually great. It had that vintage tone to it that some people would definitely like. I haven't played a proper old red label, but I would definitely assume that if I play an old Yamaha, it would sound like this. Definitely worth your penny if you like the Yamaha tone.

3) About the 3's and 5's. The shopkeeper did mention a lot of their customers came in with their 3 variants complaining about the finish. He was also surprised how a lot of people didn't do their research and came with the guitar and asked if they could change it with the 5 variants (3 is made in China, while the 5 is made in Japan). The shopkeeper also mentioned both guitars may sound a little different, but he couldn't figure out the differences. Most of his customers came because of the poor finish, not the tone difference.
Martin Backpacker('11)
Seagull Maritime SWS Concert Hall CW Semi-Gloss('11)
Cort Earth 100SE('11)
Yamaha A3R('12)
Martin D-28('12)
Furch Yellow Gc-CR('18)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 PM

I've been bouncing back and forth between getting the FGX5 or the LL16M . I've played the LL model , and was very impressed with the sound . the main difference is that the LL line has the 5 ply necks , while the Red Label does not

can't wait to play the two side by side , but the nearest GC never has the Red Label in stock . only listed online
Old 02-23-2020, 08:53 PM

Well, I'm not in the US but was lucky that my local store had an FS5 in stock - a guitar I'd had my eye on for a while.

Yes, I found the tone beautiful and the playability great (for me). To my delight, the setup out of the box was perfect. Nice case, too.

I've been using it a few days now and it keeps feeling better the more I use it. Just love that tone each time I pick it up. Definitely no buyer's remorse here!

I was looking for a pure acoustic instrument in that size, so didn't check out the FSX5 that they also had.

Better late, than never ...

2020: Yamaha FS5 Red Label
Old 02-23-2020, 09:52 PM

https://reverb.com/item/32616517-yam...5-2019-natural
Old 02-23-2020, 10:15 PM

Default So I'm a newbie

But many times I play an expensive guitar I think to myself, wow it doesn't sound better than my 1970 Yamaha fg140 (red label Nippon gakki). Maybe I'm just partial. I've been shopping hard for a us made Guild d-25. Not sure I'll be happy. Maybe I need a new fg5...!!!
Old 02-23-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdl25 View Post
But many times I play an expensive guitar I think to myself, wow it doesn't sound better than my 1970 Yamaha fg140 (red label Nippon gakki). Maybe I'm just partial. I've been shopping hard for a us made Guild d-25. Not sure I'll be happy. Maybe I need a new fg5...!!!
Same here. I have a 2012 D-28 and I have yet to hear a guitar that sounds better than mine. Even the super high-end $10,000 ones did not impress me one bit. Then again it was in poor condition so I wouldn't know but still.

I did hear that the instrument and the person who uses it gets used to each other, like, being adapt with each other's tastes. Maybe you got used to your Yamaha!
Martin Backpacker('11)
Cort Earth 100SE('11)
Yamaha A3R('12)
Martin D-28('12)
Furch Yellow Gc-CR('18)
Old 02-24-2020, 04:29 AM

Put all the brand snobbery undercurrents aside (which is highly prevalent out there in the guitar world) and embrace these FGs. They, as you are suggesting, are basically as good as anything out there in reality. It’s the truth.

It’s interesting to hear the comments about finish problems on the FG3s. Can you elaborate on that? I have had the great fortune of playing both the 3 and 5 in a local shop here and both seemed really great. I personally would give the nod to the 5 because I’m a big fan of made in Japan products.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-24-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdl25 View Post
Like a lot of things, new isn’t always better. Maybe in our minds, but then reality always dictates in the end. If you really want to step it up take a look at an LL26 ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-24-2020, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Can you please explain about the finish issues? I've never tried one of these new Red labels but I've played four of the L series and they all have been finished beautifully

Right now I'm looking for Yamaha LJ. If the Red Label series had a J model, I'd be looking at that one too.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:28 AM

I have an FGX5 and I love the finish. Very nice satin finish but I wonder if it will eventually wear down to a gloss on areas of constant contact such as the neck and upper bout. But that doesn't really matter in my opinion but it would bother me if there were issues with the finish fresh from the factory like mentioned on the 3 series.

I couldn't be happier with my FGX5. It sounds wonderful. In the past I have not been a mahogany tone lover but I am trying to step outside of the box from my usual Taylor chimey sound. Although I do think I still favor brighter sounding guitars, (that is why I want an LL16), I am loving the playability and the sound of this FGX5. I am finding out about what I have read on here so often. Depending on the type or style of music you play, you have to have the right tool. I like having that option now with the hog Yammy. I bought it solely on the reviews I read and saw about this guitar. It had been mentioned that it sounded way above its price point. I was wanting a D-18 and settled on the Yammy and I don't think there is enough difference to matter to me personally.

I didn't like the wood pickguard at first but it has grown on me. It is not a flashy looking guitar at all but I really like the classic look of it. I do find that I personally like having fresh strings on it so it has more zing. I don't like too warm of a sound. I have put D'Addario EJ11's and EJ16's on it. I think I like the EJ16's best. Bronze seems to work for me on this guitar. I do want to try some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze at some point. They sound wonderful on a couple of my other guitars but they really seem to have a short life. I really don't see any need in the future to replace this guitar with another one with the same wood combination. I feel like I have the Spruce/Mahognany combo covered for the rest of my life with this FGX5.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-24-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
I have an FGX5 and I love the finish. Very nice satin finish but I wonder if it will eventually wear down to a gloss on areas of constant contact such as the neck and upper bout. But that doesn't really matter in my opinion but it would bother me if there were issues with the finish fresh from the factory like mentioned on the 3 series.

I couldn't be happier with my FGX5. It sounds wonderful. In the past I have not been a mahogany tone lover but I am trying to step outside of the box from my usual Taylor chimey sound. Although I do think I still favor brighter sounding guitars, (that is why I want an LL16), I am loving the playability and the sound of this FGX5. I am finding out about what I have read on here so often. Depending on the type or style of music you play, you have to have the right tool. I like having that option now with the hog Yammy. I bought it solely on the reviews I read and saw about this guitar. It had been mentioned that it sounded way above its price point. I was wanting a D-18 and settled on the Yammy and I don't think there is enough difference to matter to me personally.

I didn't like the wood pickguard at first but it has grown on me. It is not a flashy looking guitar at all but I really like the classic look of it. I do find that I personally like having fresh strings on it so it has more zing. I don't like too warm of a sound. I have put D'Addario EJ11's and EJ16's on it. I think I like the EJ16's best. Bronze seems to work for me on this guitar. I do want to try some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze at some point. They sound wonderful on a couple of my other guitars but they really seem to have a short life. I really don't see any need in the future to replace this guitar with another one with the same wood combination. I feel like I have the Spruce/Mahognany combo covered for the rest of my life with this FGX5.
Nice choice. I though the FG5 I played was beauty. They can't make them quick enough apparently. These guitars have been a massive seller as I understand it.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I was really considering this reissue if mostly for nostalgia reasons. But then i got a Martin 000-18. The Yamaha seems hard to come by otherwise I might have liked to give it a test run.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:36 PM

No where in my province has had any in stock, and I don’t anticipate them getting any for a long time, which is frustrating, I’ve really been wanting to try them.

What are the frets like? How thick or thin? Compared to the ll16?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
It’s interesting to hear the comments about finish problems on the FG3s. Can you elaborate on that? I have had the great fortune of playing both the 3 and 5 in a local shop here and both seemed really great. I personally would give the nod to the 5 because I’m a big fan of made in Japan products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Can you please explain about the finish issues? I've never tried one of these new Red labels but I've played four of the L series and they all have been finished beautifully

Right now I'm looking for Yamaha LJ. If the Red Label series had a J model, I'd be looking at that one too.
Sorry for being so late, was busy for a while.

For your reply, I wasn't too interested in the 3 variants so I didn't ask much. But if I would emphasize it, I do remember him mentioning about the 'specks' and the 'smears' on the guitar, which is the reason why he recommends the 5's instead of the 3's. Also he did mention that most of the people who come up complaining to him with their 3's are the ones who bought it online.

In my honest opinion, well, I didn't hold a 3 series and looked up close, but at a distance, I did not witness immediate difference between the 3's and the 5's. Maybe the finish quality are different. I mean, if I'm buying a $800+ guitar from a well known company I would expect to have a nice tone but also expect some good finish.
Martin Backpacker('11)
Cort Earth 100SE('11)
Yamaha A3R('12)
Martin D-28('12)
Furch Yellow Gc-CR('18)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion