The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 02:48 PM

Default beginner needs help - guitar size/nut and scale

Hi,
I am a 51yr old beginner. I have an old Lado Hawk 415 (lefty). I am doing some lessons on line and noticed my chord transition is tough and I mute strings a lot. I have had an electric guitar on my last attempt to learn and didn't find it this tough. I have done some quick measurements on my Lado; Nut is 41.5mm, Scale 25", String from E to E is 34.9mm. my string action seems to be between 2-3mm; I am waiting on a gauge to accurately measure this. My question is; is this a tough setup for learning. I am 5'8" and hands are med-large. I went into the local shop and tried a Taylor Academy 12, GS Mini and a seagull S6 Original Lefty; all of which felt a ton easier especially the taylors. I am currently waiting on an Art and Lutherie Legacy CW left to arrive to try it.
There is a ton of advice online which varying opions. I am wondering if anyone can offer me some sound advice on what my best sizing is for a beginner. The chord I struggle with most (as most people do from what I read is the C).. I don't know anything about the Lado Hawk I am using but have the feeling it is a very low end guitar.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:59 PM

There is no one size for a beginner. It's more about your hand and finger size/length and personal preference. If you are having trouble reaching your chords you could go to a shorter 24.75 scale. If your fingers are cramped, look for a nut width of at least 1.75 and string spacing at the saddle of at least 2 1/4. If you are having trouble with barre chords take it in for a set up and have them lower the action.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarter68 View Post
Hi,
I am a 51yr old beginner. I have an old Lado Hawk 415 (lefty). I am doing some lessons on line and noticed my chord transition is tough and I mute strings a lot. I have had an electric guitar on my last attempt to learn and didn't find it this tough. I have done some quick measurements on my Lado; Nut is 41.5mm, Scale 25", String from E to E is 34.9mm. my string action seems to be between 2-3mm; I am waiting on a gauge to accurately measure this. My question is; is this a tough setup for learning. I am 5'8" and hands are med-large. I went into the local shop and tried a Taylor Academy 12, GS Mini and a seagull S6 Original Lefty; all of which felt a ton easier especially the taylors. I am currently waiting on an Art and Lutherie Legacy CW left to arrive to try it.
There is a ton of advice online which varying opions. I am wondering if anyone can offer me some sound advice on what my best sizing is for a beginner. The chord I struggle with most (as most people do from what I read is the C).. I don't know anything about the Lado Hawk I am using but have the feeling it is a very low end guitar.
51 years old here, been playing for almost 14 months, so also very much a beginner. I started with a Yamaha FG something, and went to a Taylor GS Mini shortly after. The Taylors are indeed easy to play for my clumsy hands with shortish fingers that aren't the most flexible, and that's why I bought one.

A year down the road, I'm finding the narrow nut and short scale more challenging than full-scale guitars with a wider nut. Playing an A6 is super difficult on the Taylor, much easier on the big Guild 12 string that has all that real estate for the fingers to explore. I'm also finding the lighter strings on a full neck easier to deal with than the medium strings on a shorter neck.

If I had a do-over I probably would go with one of the Taylor Academy guitars, or a 100-series if a used one had the right price. I like the Guilds as well, and the OM-240 I played at Guitar Center yesterday also felt really nice and has a reasonable price.

So, yeah, these all preferences, some of which probably aren't yours . . . but I hope this is helpful anyway.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:09 PM

The Taylor Academy 12 has a narrow nut, 1 11/16", but pay attention to the neck shape as well. Taylor guitars have been setting new stardards for playability for years, and this may be part of what you're experiencing.

If you're not playing finger style, there's really no reason to want a wider nut. However, consider the fact that learning on an electric guitar during your first attempts allowed you to develop a few lazy habits. Best way to deal with that would be private lessons.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:53 PM

Lado's are know for being really easy to play. I had a Falcon for a bit and it played like butter. Those specs look completely fine to me. If it seems hard to play, bring it to a tech for a proper setup.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:37 PM

I will admit to knowing nothing about Lado guitars and next to nothing about electrics. But if you are wanting recommendations about acoustic guitars, you are pursuing some good models. The Taylor GS Mini is a nice model. I would also look at the Martin DJr or the 000Jr. A good setup is essential. Also, it is not necessary to play medium gauge strings on these short scale models. They will sound fine and play easier with lights.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 02-24-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarter68 View Post
Hi,
Dont bother with travel guitars (Martin Djr or GS Mini) unless you are looking for a travel guitar. Neither of them are going to perform like a full sized acoustic. The last thing you want is to imprint that tiny scale in your head while you are learning.

The neck/nut you play on is purely preference. People who play fingerstyle tend to lean in the direction of 1 3/4 inch nuts and in some cases shorter scales. Try and buy what fits you.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:33 PM

If you want an American made, all solid wood, killer Sounding and playing guitar, with a great neck Profile, 1-3/4” BONE nut, BONE saddle, ebony bridge and finger board, Canadian Maple binding on body and fretboard, and at a very reasonable price, you might consider the Larrivee OM-40M or the L series Larrivee which is a bit bigger body size. Highly appreciated guitars that are sometimes underrated. It’s about the best guitar value available as well as a great company.

Check out some YouTube videos.
Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 02-24-2020 at 03:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
beginner, lefty, nut width, scale