The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Default An appreciation for those that own, play, keep one and only one guitar

So I recently stumbled upon the answer of a great mystery from my youth that led me to another thought and appreciation. Bear with me as the story is a little convoluted. Back in my late teens a I saw a movie that had a very brief scene that featured a young man playing an acoustic guitar in his bedroom and singing a beautiful song. I unfortunately quickly forgot the movie but I never forgot the song! Then when I started playing acoustic guitar I always wanted to find that song again to play it but couldn't.

Recently I was listening to a podcast about my favorite TV show, The West Wing, when they talked about the director of a particular episode named Paul McCrane and how he was in the movie Fame and a lightbulb went off. Now Paul McCrane has had a very successful career as an actor and director in TV and movies. So I went to YouTube and searched for Paul McCrane and instantly found the clip from the movie fame of him playing and singing the song, 'Is It Okay If I Call You Mine'.

What was really cool though was that in addition to the clip of that song from Fame (which he actually wrote himself along with two other songs from that movie) was that he redid the song in a brief series he starred in some 31 years later called 'Harry's Law'. It was really cool to see how the way he played the song changed over the years from strumming all bar chords to delicate fingerstyle playing. But the REALLY cool thing is that it looks like he's playing the EXACT same guitar in both clips, a Guild dread.

Now, there's no way of knowing for sure the guitars are the same one but I'll bet it is. And this reminds of the appreciation I have for those people that acquire a guitar early in their lives and for whatever reason (money or just a favorite) stick with it. Obviously this man's career is focused on things other than music and successfully so, but he can play and sing and write and while I'm sure he likely has owned other guitars it's neat that he still had that same one and used it again in a performance for the screen of his song.

Here's a few embedded clips from YouTube in case you want to see them. First the Fame, then the Harry's Law, and last a full clip of the song with words since the first two are just from the shows which truncate the song as is frequently done in that medium. We might very well be adding this song to our setlist!

Fame:

Harry's Law:

Full song with lyrics:

Old 02-23-2020, 09:27 AM

Let's be honest, one is all anyone really NEEDS.

Want is way different than need.

Simple as that. The majority of purchases around this place are driven, in large part, by addiction...Pure and simple.

An addiction I'm slowly starting to understand more and more as each day passes...lol

This forum is a corruption zone.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-23-2020, 09:30 AM

One is all I want, or need. That’s a personal choice and I couldn’t be more satisfied and relieved the search has ended.

I still enjoy visiting various music stores to reinforce the fact that no other guitar sounds as good to me as the one now own.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I wish that I had known about set ups back in the day. If I had known, my first steel string - a Yamaha FG-140 - would probably still be with me today. Cool story, thanks for posting the clips. I knew who you were talking about but the clips brought back some memories.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-23-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I play the same clarinet I got when I was 13 - which was 50 years ago. My only clarinet in all that time. I play the same and only alto and tenor saxes I got soon after that.
I never realized how promiscuous I am, musically that is, until I acquired my first guitar just one year ago - followed by two others. What is it about these wood boxes? I mean, it’s not like you are going to have babies with it. Oh, yes, same woman - 37 years.
Color me befuddled.
David
Old 02-23-2020, 10:17 AM

Far too simplistic.

One guitar could be for a myriad of reasons.

If someone has a fortune and decides on ONE guitar - that's a decision.

If it's a college kid or a parent with kids going through college - that's an economic reality.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Heresy

One guitar? Heresy, pure and simple. Everyone knows you need a stable with a new addition every few months!

Ok, just joking (sort of). I love my many guitars and buying and selling numerous guitars every year is one of my great joys. To each his own.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

It could be the same guitar, but that doesn't mean its the only one he has.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-23-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It could be the same guitar, but that doesn't mean its the only one he has.
Maybe the only one that leaves the house.

Couch Standards
Old 02-23-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

There's no right or wrong in either or any. To each his own. While I can appreciate those that are happy with their one guitar, I also truly have enjoyed the many years of auditioning various guitars and the journey. I do wonder, as some frequently do so here, if I'd spent as much time over the past several years practicing as I did researching, buying, selling, trading and yes - even playing, I'd likely be a MUCH better player. But then again, maybe not. Regardless, I'm enjoying what I do and where I'm at (both in abilities and guitars!) and that in the end is what is important whether you be a collector of many, a player of one, or any of the myriad of possibilities between!
Old 02-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Default One guitar

I too like the idea of one guitar but after playing guitar for over 50 years I can address the issue from the perspective of a whole life.
The most important aspect I've come to appreciate is something that it is very seldom discussed, string spacing at nut and saddle.
If you're lucky enough to start off with a guitar that fits your hand from age 12 to 70 that's fantastic. It usually doesn't happen that way for obvious reasons.
As I've aged I've come to find most comfort in the old time spacing of 1 3/4 nut with 2 3/8 at saddle. The extra room at nut gives your fingers more space to make the tougher chords. Wider at saddle allows for more precision with finger or flat picking. You give up a bit of speed, and speed is what our culture reveres so much now. When young so often it's all about speed. Closer spacing might help at nut and saddle. As I've aged I appreciate the clarity and comfort of wide spacing at saddle and nut. Most manufacturers mainly split the difference and nearly all of them do not discuss wider spacing at saddle.
Martin offers 2 3/8 saddle spacing on a few vintage models, Taylor doesn't scepter on nylon string. Ibanez has a few models. The now discontinued
Epiphone offered the best value of all solid wood EF500 with 1 3/4 and 2 5/8.
So if you can have one guitar from start to finish of your playing career, good on you. No need for endless guitar buying if you have one that fits. It's really the neck,spacing comfort sound reliability rather than the bling.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM

I went through a lot of guitars... A Gibson J-15 was the most expensive one,,,
I'm finally down to one Dread an Ibanez AW54OPN cut away.. It sounds and feels the way I want a dread to sound..
Sure I had to adjust the strings heights and file somethings but I'm a happy camper with my $300 guitar..
I have a Custom Fender Affinity Strat I used on stage...2-P90's in it and a Stew-Mac electronic's
and Epiphone ES339 Pro W/P90's
Yea I like P90's

Thats it for me but I am looking a for a Parlor..A Diamond in the Rough...
Old 02-23-2020, 12:22 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I tried the one-guitar thing...but then my one and only guitar ended up in the shop for a month for a warranty repair. Suddenly I was guitarless! No way I could go that long without playing, so I bought a backup and have always had a less expensive backup guitar ever since.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
There's no right or wrong in either or any. To each his own. While I can appreciate those that are happy with their one guitar, I also truly have enjoyed the many years of auditioning various guitars and the journey. I do wonder, as some frequently do so here, if I'd spent as much time over the past several years practicing as I did researching, buying, selling, trading and yes - even playing, I'd likely be a MUCH better player. But then again, maybe not. Regardless, I'm enjoying what I do and where I'm at (both in abilities and guitars!) and that in the end is what is important whether you be a collector of many, a player of one, or any of the myriad of possibilities between!
This is exactly how I feel
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 02-23-2020, 12:47 PM

I was a one trick pony....until I joined the AGF!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion