The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 10:01 PM

Default He plays guitar a lot but does not own one. (46)

I had a patient today that said yes he did play guitar. I gave him a guitar pick and asked what kind of guitar he had.
He laughed and said he did not own a guitar, but played guitar for the church praise group every week. From what he described I think it was a Taylor 414ce from before the first expression system , that had been donated to the church. He really liked it, but was looking for an acoustic to practice on at home, and not take that one home from church. He was saving up for it.
I suggested that he may want to get a lower level Taylor so it would have a similar neck and action, or maybe a Seagull would have a similar action at a good price.
I hope he finds something to compliment the Taylor.

Last edited by whvick; 02-23-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:06 AM

Similar encounter, my neighbor knocked on my door and asked if I could watch a young man for about an hour. My neighbor has a home studio and was recording the young man's mother for a demo CD she wanted to get. The kid could play guitar very well. I had just received a commissioned build I was not happy with and he was playing it. I left him in my music room alone to have a little fun with my gear. His mom was divorced and they were getting by on her income. My wife saw me in the kitchen and asked if the music coming from my music room was a recording. It was the kid plugged into my SA220 rocking out. He did not own a guitar. He lived near a music store and had taught himself from an early age how to play by visiting it frequently. The store employees let him do odd jobs around the store to earn his keep. Anyway, when he left I cased the guitar and gave it to him as a long term loan, along with an Ibanez 10 watt amp and cable, but after they left I had my neighbor call his mom to tell her to keep the stuff, having changed my mind. Kid could play.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Similar encounter, my neighbor knocked on my door and asked if I could watch a young man for about an hour. My neighbor has a home studio and was recording the young man's mother for a demo CD she wanted to get. The kid could play guitar very well. I had just received a commissioned build I was not happy with and he was playing it. I left him in my music room alone to have a little fun with my gear. His mom was divorced and they were getting by on her income. My wife saw me in the kitchen and asked if the music coming from my music room was a recording. It was the kid plugged into my SA220 rocking out. He did not own a guitar. He lived near a music store and had taught himself from an early age how to play by visiting it frequently. The store employees let him do odd jobs around the store to earn his keep. Anyway, when he left I cased the guitar and gave it to him as a long term loan, along with an Ibanez 10 watt amp and cable, but after they left I had my neighbor call his mom to tell her to keep the stuff, having changed my mind. Kid could play.
Thanks for sharing your story. Well done on the gifting of such a fine guitar to a young person who will love and play the living daylights out of it.

The world is full of good deeds but we just don’t hear about them on the “News”. Thanks for making my day.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Bravo!

What a kind and generous thing to do!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-23-2020, 09:42 AM

Nice. Nothing more sad than a gifted kid without an instrument.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:

WTG!!!![emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 02-23-2020, 12:24 PM

Good on you! I needed that.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Pitar...good for you...made my day to read that and thank you.

john
Old 02-23-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Well done.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:54 PM

Probably happens somewhat regularly. Del McCoury didn't own a guitar when he started playing for Bill Monroe.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:09 AM

I used to know a lot of bassists who didn't own a bass....or a car.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would let a couple of guitars leave my house, if I thought that, the guitar would depart, with someone who would actually play it. I gave one away a few years ago. It's collecting dust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion