The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 05:36 PM

Default Martin CEO-7

Hi ; this guitar is really looking good to me lately. Any owners? I read that it is a little smaller body size than my OM28. tHANKS.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:02 PM

I really liked everything about my CEO7 with the exception of the neck. The burst was beautiful and it had a real soulful voice that seemed more versatile than I was led to believe. I still miss the little fella.

Oh, yes it's a 00 body so a little bit smaller than an OM.
scott
Old 02-21-2020, 06:23 PM

hmm why didn't you like the neck? Does the high E string slip off the neck when playing barre chords? Like my OM28? thanks.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi ; this guitar is really looking good to me lately. Any owners? I read that it is a little smaller body size than my OM28. tHANKS.
I have only played one and that was a few years ago. I was very impressed with the tone. As far as the neck and playability, I don't recall any negativity about the guitar. Tonally, I think it would make a great partner to an OM-28.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 02-21-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

The high E did sometimes slip off my CEO7 neck. I had one and really liked it. Deep bass. Sometimes the high strings could get plinky. Ultimately the string spacing and neck width just didn't agree with my (mostly) flatpicking style and sold it to get a custom OM28. That said, the CEO7 was a phenomenal 00 sized guitar. Way louder than you might think.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

I've only played them in stores, but I loved the neck. It's the mod v neck, which is my favorite of the Martin profiles. From what I've gathered, it's a love it or hate it kind of thing. I suggest playing one first.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:16 PM

I have one. I really love it. I do mainly fingerpicking use Elixir Nanoweb strings on it and its just a lovely, beautiful tone - almost ethereal.

I looked at a lot of small body guitars and listened to a lot on youtube and it was consistently one of the best sounding smaller body guitars. I'm glad I got it.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:31 PM

I own OM-28 an CEO-7 and love both of them. When I purchased CEO-7 (last month) I was a bit afraid of the neck and was delighted to discover it is in fact my favorite profile. I am a 100% fingerpicker and the neck and string spacing of the CEO-7 make it a more comfortable for me than the OM-28 (not to mention the 00 size). The voice is also very distinct and fundamental, although I like the full growly sound of the OM-28 better.

Ll.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:34 PM

Oh - the E string totally slips off the neck when I do the pull-offs on 2nd or 3rd fret (but never when I do barre). It is worse than my OM-28 :P

Ll.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

I have a Custom Shop CEO-7 that is all mahogany. Fabulous little guitar, I love it.

I use LaBella Silk & Steel Lights on it. No problem with pulling the E string off.

It's got the Mod V neck, but it doesn't feel as chunky as a couple of dreads with the Mod V that I've owned.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:27 AM

I think I'm losing interest in this guitar as theses replies come in . My Larrivee [OMV] model is almost the same as my OM28. I've had so much work done to it and still not happy with it. Even my guitar tech sees the difference.Guess I should stay away from the CEO-7 even though it looks really cool.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I'm losing interest in this guitar as theses replies come in . My Larrivee [OMV] model is almost the same as my OM28. I've had so much work done to it and still not happy with it. Even my guitar tech sees the difference.Guess I should stay away from the CEO-7 even though it looks really cool.
That was a quick turn around! I love my CEO-7 but of course YMMV. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:19 AM

I’ve owned two. The first one, brand new, sounded like it was full of socks. Sold it after a couple months.

A year later I bought one used. This one sounded much better. I liked everything about it. But, I am primarily a proud cowboy strummer and, ultimately, it wasn’t magic enough to keep. It was great to gig with though as it was light as a feather.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:35 AM

I had one the first year they came out. Played it a lot for a little over a year, but sold it to buy an OM-28, which I preferred.

Never really bonded with the V-neck -- even though, I now have an 000-28VS with a bigger neck that I love -- and got tired of the tone after about a year.

It was a nice intimate guitar and people certainly like them.

Since I'm into mandolins, bass, etc., I try to keep my guitars to one or two if I count my resonator. As a second guitar, the CEO-7 would have worked out better, in my case.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
You said “I’ve have had so much work done to it and still not happy with it”
Which guitar are you referring to, the Larrivee or the Martin.

I own Both Larrivee and Martin guitars and Of the two I prefer the 00 Larrivee To the CEO Martin and other 00 guitars I tried. I Like them so much I actually have two; 00-40M and 00-03MT. I also have a Canadian Larrivee OM-03R which is a great guitar also.

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion