The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 03:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I bought my Seagull folk for just that purpose, but I'm in Jersey and had access to shaded and underground parking while at work. We always had an SUV so no trunk storage.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure of your definition of "budget guitar" so I'll just mention the Composite Acoustics Cargo. It's a smaller carbon fiber model (so short scale along with being smaller) and pretty close to indestructible. I've left it in a hot car several times, no problem. Cost: the one I purchased from an AGF member was $800 (all inclusive).

As others have noted, if you have anything with wood and a lot of glue involved, I don't think it would last. So while you can get a lot of cheaper guitars in that configuration (wood/glue), you'd end up buying a lot of cheaper guitars over time.

I would browse the various used guitar places and go with any carbon fiber option that fits your "budget". The Journey always looked great on paper - I just never found one when I was taking the CF plunges (I have 3 now). But if I ever see one for close to the $800 I paid for the Cargo, I'll probably plunge again. I travel a lot, including by car and the CF's are so handy to bring along.

I think you can hide things well enough in a vehicle such that no one is going to single you out for having a small instrument inside.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 02-23-2020, 05:57 PM

I take my Loar LO16 everywhere. 1-3/4 nut Gibson scale, a great little guitar. I believe I paid $339.00 out the door for my LO16 about 5 years ago.
I would not leave any guitar in a car no mater what it’s made of.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
One of the benefits of right-hand drive cars here in Australia is us 'righties' can drive and play guitar at the same time.
In the US, we just let the guitar neck stick out the window!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:01 AM

Got a Washburn Rover travel guitar. It's cheap, but cheap guitar is better than no guitar. Put a pickup in it, run it thru car audio system, and make it sound as you wish.
Guitar in car is better for practicing timing, and matching it with vocals. More practice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
In the US, we just let the guitar neck stick out the window!
Or try resting the headstock against the window- you'll like what you hear.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I love my Taylor GS Mini for taking in the car. 23.5" scale length and super light. Leaving it in a hot car for any length of time might not work so well though, but that's just a guess.
I’d also recommend the GS Mini. Koa the best in my opinion.

Agree that heat a major issue.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-24-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Anything made of wood and exposed to the high humidity of a Florida summer is going to warp. The yellow glues used to hold them together will pretty much become gelatinous over time 100 degrees and the the string tension on the guitar’s neck will literally cause it to pull itself apart. That being said, I wouldn’t even leave a carbon fiber or electric guitar in anything but “livable” conditions either.

Basically, you need to “baby” your guitars. Leave them home or take them inside with you. Maybe you’ll make some tips over lunch.
Carbon fiber guitars are built with epoxy resins and in marine applications (i.e. a black carbon fiber sailboat mast), the carbon fiber and epoxy are routinely subjected to high temperatures with no ill effects. Any carbon fiber guitar will be fine in a hot car. I’ve travelled with carbon guitars left in my car for over 6 years (Louisiana, upper 90’s with high humidity in the summer) with absolutely no issues. For those who say they are not cheap, keep in mind you get what you pay for in terms of tone. Carbon fiber guitars routinely get high reviews for their volume and clarity. You get a double bonus of a nearly indestructible, worry free guitar that you will really enjoy playing.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion