The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Medium strings on CF guitars

Would 13-56 be ok for Carbon Fiber generally? I am wondering how CF reacts under string tension anyway, compared to wood. Does it crack or deflect/distort in a different way? And does it change under long term tension?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Would 13-56 be ok for Carbon Fiber generally? I am wondering how CF reacts under string tension anyway, compared to wood. Does it crack or deflect/distort in a different way? And does it change under long term tension?
Generally, medium will be just fine. You of course may need a slight adjustment due to string size, but the CF material won’t notice the extra tension, and it definitely won’t crack. This would be true of the Emeralds, Rainsongs, Blackbirds and Mcphereson that I have owned and probably any other quality CF guitar. The Klos has a wood neck so I would think that might yield a different result.
Good luck, it can be an expensive rabbit hole to go down.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Generally, medium will be just fine. You of course may need a slight adjustment due to string size, but the CF material won’t notice the extra tension, and it definitely won’t crack. This would be true of the Emeralds, Rainsongs, Blackbirds and Mcphereson that I have owned and probably any other quality CF guitar. The Klos has a wood neck so I would think that might yield a different result.
Good luck, it can be an expensive rabbit hole to go down.
Good to know. Suddenly I'm thinking CF guitars and did not know a thing about them a week ago. Apparently Don Ross has a Leviora.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 PM

I had 13s on my CA GX, thought they worked great, especially for flatpicking. I preferred 12s for fingerstyle - a bit easier on the fingers.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-14-2020, 08:15 PM

Only speaking for Blackbird Lucky 13 and some Emeralds, I think the only way to hurt these guitars is to run them over with a tractor. 13s will do fine. I am considering 14s on one of my Emeralds.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Only speaking for Blackbird Lucky 13 and some Emeralds, I think the only way to hurt these guitars is to run them over with a tractor. 13s will do fine. I am considering 14s on one of my Emeralds.
So you are saying 13s and vehicles smaller than a tractor are fine.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

This thread has me wondering who has tried 13’s or 14’s on the CF guitar and how do they sound (I’ve contemplated going to 12’s-56’s on my Emerald 12 string)
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-15-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
This thread has me wondering who has tried 13’s or 14’s on the CF guitar and how do they sound (I’ve contemplated going to 12’s-56’s on my Emerald 12 string)
I have used true mediums and "new mediums" with a 13 and 17 trebles on two different short scale CF guitars. With tone and playability being both subjective to the player, I've found a preference for them. Certainly wouldn't be something CF can't handle and mostly a matter of opinion.

My favorite gauge is about 56-42-32-24-17-13 (LJ's Choice Martin Retros) or 55-42-32-24-17-13 (John Pearse New Mediums).

To my ear you get more volume, and a rounder, more powerfully defined top end. (lights can sound a bit metallic and tinny to my ears, but is more noticeable on CF than wood guitars)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Suddenly I'm thinking CF guitars a

That's some good thinking right there!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Good to know. Suddenly I'm thinking CF guitars and did not know a thing about them a week ago. Apparently Don Ross has a Leviora.
I’m using Leviora guitar and change from Elixir 12-53 to Martin SP 13-56 half year ago. I do suspect a little bit less (very subtle) sustain has been traded off for more (quite notable) volume. The most obvious cons of using heavy string is harder to press. It may result in slow down your left hand a bit. However, 013 gauge strings seems survive a bit longer than the 012 gauge strings, but may be just different bands…

I like the attack and volume of 13-56 strings now and will stick with it awhile, but still inspecting any other pros and cons with fun as well.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 01-15-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So you are saying 13s and vehicles smaller than a tractor are fine.
13s are ok but vehicles smaller than a tractor are not fine

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 01-15-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM

That's not a very lucky 13. Superglue anyone? Mine has been dropped and stepped on with no problem. I'm not going to test it with a tractor. Not even a riding lawn mower.

I saw a GS Mini turned into splinters by a guy who didn't navigate an icy sidewalk well. Doubt that would have bothered my CF guitar though.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Ouch! Lucky 13 is one of the best-of-the-best in CF world... hope you can find a way to have it repaired. What happened?... gotta be a good story there... if not, make one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
13s are ok but vehicles smaller than a tractor are not fine

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-02-2020, 11:24 AM

I have an Emerald X20. Tried medium strings on it just to see what happens. I have no concerns about mediums damaging the guitar -- it will certainly outlast me and probably my kids too. However I didn't favor the mediums on that guitar. Conclusion: the lights (12-54) actually sound better. More volume, fatter tone. And of course easier to play (though my action is set pretty low so that wasn't a huge difference). I've got lights back on it again. It was a cheap experiment, glad I did it, now I know.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
I have an Emerald X20. Tried medium strings on it just to see what happens. I have no concerns about mediums damaging the guitar -- it will certainly outlast me and probably my kids too. However I didn't favor the mediums on that guitar. Conclusion: the lights (12-54) actually sound better. More volume, fatter tone. And of course easier to play (though my action is set pretty low so that wasn't a huge difference). I've got lights back on it again. It was a cheap experiment, glad I did it, now I know.

Same observation on the OF660 and it is an inch shorter in scale than the X20. Lights sound better and I prefer the feel too, but the guitar can definitely handle the medium set

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber