The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 03:58 PM

From my experience dealing with Martin’s certified repair techs and then directly with Martin’s factory warranty service, I’d avoid that route if at all possible. If your dealer will replace/exchange the instrument just start fresh.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
man what is up with Martin and their total lack of customer support?

This is not the first time I've seen a customer get the ice shoulder from them. Seems pretty ridiculous.

I currently do not own a martin, and based on posts like this, I probably never will.

I wish you luck in resolving.
It's called "we're an old, established company with a large share of the market and if you don't buy our stuff someone else will". Not you (or me after having read all sorts of Martin CS issues) but SOMEONE will.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:31 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post
I am working with the place I bought the guitar. They are making contact with the Martin rep they have a relationship with. Part of the issue for me is I like this guitar and there are not a ton of them out there. Im hoping the closest certified repair tech can help me out. In waiting mode at the moment for contacts to return calls and see how many options I have.
Good for you! That’s the way to do it...through the dealer then a local certified tech. So the bottom line is we don’t know yet how Martin (and your dealer) are ultimately going to handle this. And yet we’re enduring pages of Martin bashing. Gotta love social media...

Old 12-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I am working with the place I bought the guitar. They are making contact with the Martin rep they have a relationship with. Part of the issue for me is I like this guitar and there are not a ton of them out there. Im hoping the closest certified repair tech can help me out. In waiting mode at the moment for contacts to return calls and see how many options I have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Good for you! That’s the way to do it...through the dealer then a local certified tech. So the bottom line is we don’t know yet how Martin (and your dealer) are ultimately going to handle this. And yet we’re enduring pages of Martin bashing. Gotta love social media...

Yep. Throw a little chum in the water and a feeding frenzy is inevitable...
Old 12-10-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
man what is up with Martin and their total lack of customer support?

This is not the first time I've seen a customer get the ice shoulder from them. Seems pretty ridiculous.

I currently do not own a martin, and based on posts like this, I probably never will.

I wish you luck in resolving.
Hardly a lack of customer support from Martin; they were just honest that they have a long waitlist for repairs.

Sounds like you are justifying your prejudiced views.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 12-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

let a certified Martin repairman look it over, the frets are no big deal, I see it a lot with all of the popular brands, a couple of frets need a light level/dress, I do this almost weekly on new instruments(Gibson, Taylor, Collings, Martin, even some high dollar hand builts). I doubt they all leave the factory/shop like that, but many stresses cause a slight move here or there during shipment and transport, and wood adjusting to many different climates.

the rattle could be something simple, let the man or woman with the Martin paper shingle give it a complete look over. a brace is possible, but so are many other things, simple things, simple fixes.

sounds like you dig this particular instrument, so for me,i would prefer to see what the outcome is before a different another one is sent in replacement-one never knows if the replacement will sound/feel right.

keep us posted
d
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 PM

Your tech guy "thinks" its a loose brace or knows? Did you try pressing around inside to see if you can spot the problem for sure?
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
Hardly a lack of customer support from Martin; they were just honest that they have a long waitlist for repairs.

I've been thru the Martin tour twice and yes...they do have a room full of guitars sent in for repair. My buddy sent his old D-28 in for a refret and have the finish and fretboard cleaned up and when it came back ( after 5 months) it looked like a brand new guitar...really I was surprised how nice it came out.. LIKE NEW...period..amazing...
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 PM

Martin is a large Manufacturer. They are set up for Manufacture, not Repair.

They have a small repair staff and the wait is indeed 6 to 8 months.

This is why Martin has authorized service folks all over the country. If you had a problem with a new Mustang you wouldn't ship it off to FoMoCo, you'd drive it to your nearest authorized dealer.

Just take it to a local authorized repair place. The service will be faster, and you can discuss the problem with someone in person rather than remotely.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-10-2019, 09:10 PM

I guess this is how mail order brides fell out of fashion.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post

No, not really, this isn't the first time I've read stories like this. Unless those are all fabrications, my opinion is what it is. you absolutely don't have to agree, but I'll never buy one of their guitars.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:56 AM

If I buy a new item I expect to get a new item, not a repaired item. Either exchange for new or money back. Does this not work for guitars?

YouTube
Old 12-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
[/B]

Yep. Throw a little chum in the water and a feeding frenzy is inevitable...
It was certainly not my intent to start a Martin bashing thread. Maybe an interest in how others might have dealt with a similar issue. All my conversations with Martin and the retail vendor have been very cordial. This will get resolved at some point, Im just dealing with something of which I have no experience.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 12-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
It was certainly not my intent to start a Martin bashing thread. Maybe an interest in how others might have dealt with a similar issue. All my conversations with Martin and the retail vendor have been very cordial. This will get resolved at some point, Im just dealing with something of which I have no experience.
Not your fault. It’s the nature of the beast...

Old 12-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I guess this is how mail order brides fell out of fashion.
Indeed. I ordered one on Black Friday with 25% off. She came without a leg...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion