The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-27-2019, 12:03 AM

Question CF Guitars you regret selling

Hello Group,

Been reminiscing lately about all the CF guitars that have passed through my hands over the years and was wondering if the group has any regrets on the models they wish they did NOT sell. Glad to kick off the thread off with the two I wish I did not sell:

* Rainsong JM1000
* Rainsong JM3000

Both of these guitars had had large balanced voices and classic looks that till this day give me goosebumps when I think about them. The JM3000 (jumbo 12 string) especially is hard to find since it is no longer made. Yes they were large but when you strap on these guitars you were ready for anything !!!

I sold them because I was no longer gigging and grew tired of the buzzing preamp..doors ect. wish I had kept and just sorted :-)

whats are on your regret lists????
Old 07-27-2019, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

I miss the Cargo sometimes.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I miss the Cargo sometimes.
I do too. Mine is coming back for a visit tomorrow. Maybe I can play it for a while just for old times' sake.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I've had a dozen high-end RainSongs comprised of various models (including a JM3000), and although they were all great guitars, I don't regret trading them in on other guitars. The reason why is that I can buy a new RainSong in the model of my choice and it'll likely be as good, tone-wise, as the model I traded in. With wooden guitars, there can be more variability in tone within examples of the same model.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Having just gotten as far as thinking about selling one or two of my Cargos after getting the McPherson Touring, I am glad I decided not to. Cargos are very special guitars in their own right. If I sold any, I would definitely have regrets later on.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-27-2019, 01:00 PM

Sell a CF guitar?? What is this concept of which you speak??!

Although it gets relatively little play time anymore, i would regret selling my original N1 neck WS-1000, because you can only get the N2 neck these days. I can play either, but prefer the older style. We might eventually sell a Cargo and a duplicate X7 woody bubinga, simply because she likes the koa X7 better aesthetically.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

None at the moment, but there will probably come a time when I'll regret having sold the X20 I sold in March. I wasn't gonna play it with the X7 hanging next to it, so it made sense. And it still does. But at some point in a year or few, I'm gonna probably want a larger guitar with a full length scale more for strumming and singing and capo-ing up past the 3rd fret, and I'll probably be looking at X20s again, or X30s, or maybe some other CF guitar. And I'll remember I had a perfectly good X20 already that I let go and I'll wish I'd kept it. But that's speculation - may not happen. So for now, none...
Old 07-27-2019, 02:05 PM

I haven't sold one yet, but I came close to selling my Lucky 13 a couple of times. My plan was to just have one guitar. I loved the X20, so I generalized that all the companies were this good and decided to try another maker to see if I could do better. Before getting another guitar I played with Cargos (loved it but too small) and Rainsongs (I regret not buying one when I was offered a good deal - does that count in the regret box?), Blackbird and settled on the Lucky 13 as a great all around guitar. It's a fabulous guitar and almost my favorite. I like the X20 better for strumming though the Lucky is probably the favorite for some finger picking songs I attempt.

Every time I get the will to sell the Lucky, I play it and my will wilts. Also instead of reducing to one guitar I have another on order that should be here sometime this summer or fall. That will put more pressure on me to sell one of them, but it's going to be tough. Might just send one of them off to a kid going to college instead.

On another note I have had two unsolicited but serious offers and a more recent hinted one for my X20. I have said no so far, but the new arrival could change my mind there too.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-27-2019, 04:10 PM

oh.. Tom .. you bring up another great guitar.. I had a second generation Lucky 13 with sound port all in black... was a sweet all around guitar. Should.. have kept that one too. That is the problem with the one in one out .... guitar strategy

I don't expect to hear from Kramster... he keeps everything ;-)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:20 PM

Regret is an emotion wasted on the past. Selling anything clears room for future purchases.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
oh.. Tom .. you bring up another great guitar.. I had a second generation Lucky 13 with sound port all in black... was a sweet all around guitar. Should.. have kept that one too. That is the problem with the one in one out .... guitar strategy

I don't expect to hear from Kramster... he keeps everything ;-)
Might be able to work out visitation with your guitar's identical(‽) cousin. I had to put it in temporary storage, but expect to have it back in my clutches by the end of the year if you are interested. We can work out details offline or through Uncle E because he'd probably like to be in the middle of this.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Guest 928

Hold on there. What's with the Unk and a 13? Never owned one.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

This begs for an opposite thread - CF Guitars you regret NOT selling.

Evan, you could be "in the middle" on that Lucky 13 idea. In any kind of transaction, it is usually the guy in the middle who make money, regardless of what happens to those on either side. Think lawyers, stock brokers, financial advisors, and real estate agents to begin with. Of course, I believe you have character and wouldn't stoop to that sort of activity.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-28-2019, 01:45 PM

I miss my Emerald X30 Royal Ebony. I never sold it but I gave it to my uncle earlier this year when he came to visit. It's a long story that i won't get into here, but he's really enjoying it and I won't say I regret giving it to him but I certainly miss it. The X20 just can't fill the void for me.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Guest 928

Tony;

As a middle man I have one abiding practice--buy high, sell low. Oddly enough, my wife doesn't think of this practice as having character.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber