The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
It will be interesting to see if Emerald responds directly to his thread.
After they take my order for an X7 of course.
LOL! Priorities are priorities.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 PM

No, I disagree with those who thought the OP should wait to post. Come on guys and be real....who has been getting all the praise on this forum for months?

EMERALD. Period.

This is the reason I've gone to Emerald.com so many times over the last few months to check out what they are creating. Alistair's designs have really grown on me and I'm finding myself attracted to the idea of the new X7. Reports on the new X7 have been overwhelmingly positive as well, enough to nearly pull the trigger on a stock guitar...no joke. The only thing keeping me from doing so is that I don't need 3 guitars and don't want to sell either of the 2 I have to fund it. This thread is helping to solidify my decision.

-Buying a CF 1.75K guitar factory direct, for the first time, sight unseen, carries significant risk. Just saying.

-Buying a 1.75K wood guitar, factory direct, for the first time, sight unseen and ear unheard, carries significant risk. Just saying.

I totally support the OPs decision to post here prior to contacting the company. What you YOU do? Put yourself in the guys shoes for a minute. You just bought an Emerald after following all the praise here to receive a guitar with the ugliest neck on a guitar you have ever seen? You just spent $3K on a guitar that you know the manufacturer would not have modeled at a NAMM show but somehow makes it to your door?

It's not our call to undermine the OP's decision to disclose the issue on the forum people. We are not just here to enable- we are here to counsel

Last edited by steelvibe; 12-30-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:58 PM

I think anybody feeling it was “improper” to air this in public before Emerald has had a chance to respond has to ask themselves was it “proper” for Emerald to send out a guitar with these issues, and how they would have felt receiving a $3K guitar like that.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone said it was improper to post the original post? I haven't seen it. Probably the one thing we can all agree on. LOL The Captain said he would do it different, but that's certainly not saying anything was improper. I don't mean to speak for him though....just the way I read it.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:13 PM

OP here again. No response from Emerald and it's been nearly 48 hours. It is the weekend, and the holidays, so no problem. Some of you think I should have waited longer before posting - I see your point. As many have pointed out, some of the photos I posted point to frankly insignificant visual imperfections rather than actual issues with assembly or performance. As a new member to this particular forum, I'm glad to see that this group is having such a level-headed discussion.

The praise for the Emerald brand is found everywhere they are mentioned, not just here. Before ordering (yes, it was an in-stock guitar, not custom) I scoured the internet looking for negative opinions of the guitars. Aside from the typical complaints about this or that neck profile, I found no complaints whatsoever and the sound was universally praised. Buying my most expensive instrument unplayed and unheard felt like a huge gamble - I had to do a fair bit of explaining to my wife, and wondered on my own if I was insane. I had high expectations, and feel pretty crushed.

Knowing nothing about how the guitars are assembled, I can't say whether the little veneer nicks are avoidable or not. I have cut veneer on a scroll saw and by hand a time or two and recognize it is finicky stuff. I also have some of the tiny bubbles in the back/side weave finish that has been discussed on this forum before. I don't think these things are really a problem and I'd probably never look at them again - as I said above, examining guitars closely and looking for imperfections is not my usual MO. I hadn't seen anyone talk about or post close-ups of the veneer edges and corners, so was curious.

The fretwork is ugly but fixable. The dots are probably fixable, but not without more intrusive work and finish touchup. Drill out and replace with something larger/different...people sometimes do it for cosmetic reasons.

The dent is the biggest issue. While it's invisible to the player, it is obvious to everyone looking at them. My brother (who plays the accordion rather than guitar...yeah, he's got problems!) noticed it immediately. I don't know if this is repairable - again, how the guitar is constructed (unknown to me) matters. Removing and replacing a fingerboard is major surgery on a wooden guitar, where things are assembled from individual parts. Is this molded in one piece? Epoxied in place? Not sure...emerald will have to make that call, but I can't see myself getting over that.

Even with the problems this guitar has, I am impressed with the sound, the weight, and the general feel of the instrument. My first impression was that it is LIGHT - when I picked up the box I almost wondered if they had forgotten to pack it. The guitar in its lightweight case is about the weight of my empty taylor case. The boom of the bass is divine. Yeah it smells a bit funny and the finish squeaks against my leather couch - first world problems for sure!

Anyway, just rambling now. I'm not sure I'll have anything more to add until I hear back from the company.

Cheers all, and happy new year!
Old 12-30-2018, 03:29 PM

I do not understand why Alistair is silent, he cares a lot about his customers and about the image of Emerald, and I guess that even if he is on vacation, he probably gets all e-mails sent to Emerald through his cell phone (I mean, I would do that if I was the owner of such a small but prestigious enterprise and I had just shipped over 20 guitars around the world before closing the factory for the holidays).
Keep us updated, please. But again, I am sure that the issue will be resolved with your complete satisfaction even if it will require a bit of patience/wait on your side. My guess (let's see if I win the bet :-) ) is that you will get a new guitar personally checked by Alistair. Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Guest 928

Melt;

You may be rambling, but I think you're doing it nicely--recognizing the timing of the mess, the qualities of the instrument, and somewhat assured that Emerald is not going to give you the brush-off.

I suspect that you haven't heard from Alistair because his wife has probably demanded a no media get-a-way, which he probably needs.

I look forward to hearing how it all resolves and appreciate your ability to get beyond the immediate problems to an assessment of how the guitar sounds and feels.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Melt;

You may be rambling, but I think you're doing it nicely--recognizing the timing of the mess, the qualities of the instrument, and somewhat assured that Emerald is not going to give you the brush-off.

I suspect that you haven't heard from Alistair because his wife has probably demanded a no media get-a-way, which he probably needs.

I look forward to hearing how it all resolves and appreciate your ability to get beyond the immediate problems to an assessment of how the guitar sounds and feels.
Well said! I suspect you may get a response tomorrow morning from Alistair himself if Kevin is off until the new year. The time of year this happened is unfortunate. We all need a break from work and Alistair is certainly no different. I bet Evan nailed it on why you haven't heard back yet.

Melt, you're showing great patience and I think most people have assured your satisfaction in the end. Hang in there and be sure to keep us posted on how this story ends.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I can’t speak as to whether his emails go to his personal phone or not, I don’t know. But I do know his wife and I were talking a week or so ago and she said they were off from work until the 2nd.

Like everyone else, I am certain this will be remedied. I don’t know him very well, but have gotten to know him pretty well over the last few months. This will be as upsetting to him as you, and I trust he will take care of it. I know that probably seems like small consolation, but could explain the delay in his response.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-30-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
OP here again. No response from Emerald and it's been nearly 48 hours. It is the weekend, and the holidays, so no problem. Some of you think I should have waited longer before posting - I see your point. As many have pointed out, some of the photos I posted point to frankly insignificant visual imperfections rather than actual issues with assembly or performance. As a new member to this particular forum, I'm glad to see that this group is having such a level-headed discussion.

The praise for the Emerald brand is found everywhere they are mentioned, not just here. Before ordering (yes, it was an in-stock guitar, not custom) I scoured the internet looking for negative opinions of the guitars. Aside from the typical complaints about this or that neck profile, I found no complaints whatsoever and the sound was universally praised. Buying my most expensive instrument unplayed and unheard felt like a huge gamble - I had to do a fair bit of explaining to my wife, and wondered on my own if I was insane. I had high expectations, and feel pretty crushed.

Knowing nothing about how the guitars are assembled, I can't say whether the little veneer nicks are avoidable or not. I have cut veneer on a scroll saw and by hand a time or two and recognize it is finicky stuff. I also have some of the tiny bubbles in the back/side weave finish that has been discussed on this forum before. I don't think these things are really a problem and I'd probably never look at them again - as I said above, examining guitars closely and looking for imperfections is not my usual MO. I hadn't seen anyone talk about or post close-ups of the veneer edges and corners, so was curious.

The fretwork is ugly but fixable. The dots are probably fixable, but not without more intrusive work and finish touchup. Drill out and replace with something larger/different...people sometimes do it for cosmetic reasons.

The dent is the biggest issue. While it's invisible to the player, it is obvious to everyone looking at them. My brother (who plays the accordion rather than guitar...yeah, he's got problems!) noticed it immediately. I don't know if this is repairable - again, how the guitar is constructed (unknown to me) matters. Removing and replacing a fingerboard is major surgery on a wooden guitar, where things are assembled from individual parts. Is this molded in one piece? Epoxied in place? Not sure...emerald will have to make that call, but I can't see myself getting over that.

Even with the problems this guitar has, I am impressed with the sound, the weight, and the general feel of the instrument. My first impression was that it is LIGHT - when I picked up the box I almost wondered if they had forgotten to pack it. The guitar in its lightweight case is about the weight of my empty taylor case. The boom of the bass is divine. Yeah it smells a bit funny and the finish squeaks against my leather couch - first world problems for sure!

Anyway, just rambling now. I'm not sure I'll have anything more to add until I hear back from the company.

Cheers all, and happy new year!
The Fretwork IS NOT insignificant at all just shoddy workmanship, and cosmetic issues are not to be overlooked either as they are an indication as to the care taken when the guitar was assembled. Sorry no excuse whatsoever for sending you a guitar like this period! I would never accept on with all that, and it will be hard to resell without noting to the potential buyer and risking them being upset. I think the big rush to fill orders is starting to show.....
Old 12-30-2018, 05:10 PM

Is it typical of Emeralds to have flat frets? I know my old X5 Life didn't and I don't think my X20 does either, but that one isn't handy to look at.

My first thought is that completion of the guitar was rushed to get it out the door before the holidays, but this was already completed and in inventory. Very strange.

I hope it all works out and like you, I wouldn't accept the guitar in that condition.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:29 PM

Both the 15 years old X20 and the 2016 X7 that I have around do not have flat frets at all, up to yhe latest fret. Same with my Rainsongs that have an incredibly awesome fretwork, no flat frets at all and perfect consistent fret endings on both side of the neck. In fact, if I were the OP, I would be particularly upset about the sloppy fretwork. Other details can escape, but frets with flat tops are made INTENTIONALLY in order to level the fretboard, but this is acceptable only on super cheap guitars. I had two Alvarez guitars in the past, one cost $300 the other was a baritone and cost $380, and the fretwork was way better than the one thay they have done to the OP's 3k Emerald. I say it again, the guy who did that job, did it intentionally, and Alistair should have a talk with him...
Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Is it typical of Emeralds to have flat frets? I know my old X5 Life didn't and I don't think my X20 does either, but that one isn't handy to look at.
I can’t speak to ‘typical’, because my (recent) X20 is the only Emerald I’ve ever seen. The fretwork on mine is impeccable - properly crowned, and the ends dressed about as evenly as they could be.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-30-2018, 06:35 PM

Even as someone who ended up not bonding with his Emerald( hand pain from neck) I can say the workmanship seemed awesome to me, just a couple bubbles maybe in the finish(Earl has my old one and can check).
I also expect that they are on a well deserved holiday, and since guitar quality isn’t life or death, maybe wait until January 4th or 5th or so to allow them to evaluate the problem and come to a solution? I am sure they will take care of the OP and this will turn out to be a good story in the end.
I thank the OP for sharing, it is good for all of us to remember that no one or no manufacturer is perfect. I always try to take a deep breath and give them a chance to make it right.
So even though I have settled on Rainsong and Blackbird CF guitars(for now) I don’t Emerald bash, and am even a fan, the neck carve just wasn’t ergonomic for me, a fact that still baffles me.
Good luck,
Old 12-30-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
the neck carve just wasn’t ergonomic for me, a fact that still baffles me.
These things are a mystery sometimes, aren't they? I've never had an issue with different neck widths or profiles - until I bought a Godin 5th Avenue. I tried, and tried, to like it - changed strings, played with the action - but playing it made my left hand hurt. Still not entirely sure why, but it had to go.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber