The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Default X-20 vs X-7

I’m torn between the two models based on the specs. But, I haven’t played either of them. I know some of you have owned/played both. Can I get your comparative impressions, please?

Does the X-7 feel like a really small guitar?
Does the X-7 have appreciably less volume?
If I buy the X-7, am I going to wish I bought the bigger X-20?

I’m driving myself crazy trying to decide what to get...Artisan...Opus...X-7...X-20...color...woody. Help!
Old 01-24-2018, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I’m torn between the two models based on the specs. But, I haven’t played either of them. I know some of you have owned/played both. Can I get your comparative impressions, please?

Does the X-7 feel like a really small guitar?
Does the X-7 have appreciably less volume?
If I buy the X-7, am I going to wish I bought the bigger X-20?

I’m driving myself crazy trying to decide what to get...Artisan...Opus...X-7...X-20...color...woody. Help!
Yes, the X7 does - and IS - a very small guitar. I was shocked when I received the box for it. I thought they'd accidentally shipped my a mandolin. It's difficult to tell from the just the stock photos on the Emerald website but the X7 looks and feels much smaller than the X20.

I do not think the X7 has so much less volume as just different volume. The X20 has deeper tones due to the larger body size. I did not own them at the same time and I know there are a few here that do own both but I owned them within a few months of each other.

As for if you wish you'd gone with one over the other, it depends on what you're looking for primarily. If size, weight and portability are a factor then the X7 is the way to go. If you just need a CF guitar then go with the X20.

I bought my X7 while I was waiting for my custom X20 which was delayed. I originally was going to wait until I both in hand and either keep them both or keep the one I liked the best but then I got a Martin keeper and knew that I didn't like the stock X7 neck or electronics so I'd rather keep the X20.

Now that I have my X20 I'm finding that I kind of miss the X7. I'm seriously thinking about ordering another custom - this time an X7 - but with a longer scale, wider string spacing, custom neck carve and a K&K - with the idea that if I like it better then the X20 I might sell the X20!

It's not that I don't like the X20 but I'm finding it a little heavier than I like and the body thickness to be a little thicker than I like..
Old 01-24-2018, 11:25 PM

The X7 is, in point of fact, a rather small guitar.

Here is a pic of my X7 next to my Larrivee Parlor (Martin 0 size)

On the other hand the X20 is a pretty big guitar, about the size of a Taylor GA or Guild Mini Jumbo.

Either one "feels" smaller due to the arm bevel.

Rumor has it that Alistair will still make an X10-os even though it's not on the official menu though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Yes, the X7 does - and IS - a very small guitar. I was shocked when I received the box for it. I thought they'd accidentally shipped my a mandolin. It's difficult to tell from the just the stock photos on the Emerald website but the X7 looks and feels much smaller than the X20.

I do not think the X7 has so much less volume as just different volume. The X20 has deeper tones due to the larger body size. I did not own them at the same time and I know there are a few here that do own both but I owned them within a few months of each other.

As for if you wish you'd gone with one over the other, it depends on what you're looking for primarily. If size, weight and portability are a factor then the X7 is the way to go. If you just need a CF guitar then go with the X20.

I bought my X7 while I was waiting for my custom X20 which was delayed. I originally was going to wait until I both in hand and either keep them both or keep the one I liked the best but then I got a Martin keeper and knew that I didn't like the stock X7 neck or electronics so I'd rather keep the X20.

Now that I have my X20 I'm finding that I kind of miss the X7. I'm seriously thinking about ordering another custom - this time an X7 - but with a longer scale, wider string spacing, custom neck carve and a K&K - with the idea that if I like it better then the X20 I might sell the X20!

It's not that I don't like the X20 but I'm finding it a little heavier than I like and the body thickness to be a little thicker than I like..
Maybe you should consider a Savoy.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

I have an X7, which I bought first, and an X20. They are both wonderful guitars.

To make some comparisons to guitars you may have experienced, the X7 has a smaller body than a Taylor GSmini. The sound of the X7 is richer, and with the curves and ergonomics of the X7, it is far more comfortable. The scale of the X7 is longer (24" vs 23.5"), but the playing experience (for me) is much better with the X7 due to the 1.75" nut width.

I could be very happy having the X7 as my only guitar.

I bought the X20 after owning the X7 for almost a year; not because I felt the X7 was lacking anything, but I anticipated the X20 would be more of everything that is great about the X7. AND, I was totally smitten with a Select Series woody in louro preto.

Staying with a Taylor comparison (I like my Taylor wood guitars), the X20 is closer to the Grand Auditorium in size, but the X20 (again, with the curves, beveled arm rest, and contoured back) is more comfortable. The playing experience is similar with the scale and neck size/contour. BUT, the offset soundhole on the X20 really does it for me - I prefer the sound of my X20 over my 814ce.

Again, I could be very happy having the X20 as my only guitar.

Fortunately, I get to have some variety with wood and CF, but the two Emeralds get about 90% of my playing time. They are that good.

That said, which should you get? Sorry I can't tell you - I like 'em both. Delighted to have both. I forget about the size of the X7 when I am playing it - and just enjoy the experience. I notice the larger size of the X20, but love the sound. Carbon fiber is great, but it doesn't get around physics: bigger will give you more sound and a generally richer tone.

Now, after deciding which model, you know you will be agonizing over the "Opus, Artisan, Custom, color, pickups, woody, etc, etc." Emerald gives you a lot of options - and they all look great. I really appreciate the build and cool black CF weave on my Opus X7 and the gorgeous veneer on the X20 that combines the look of wood with the easy care of carbon fiber... and, with woods that you might not be able to use as the soundboard without the supporting base of CF. Each one is unique. After you pick the size, the rest is all about your personal taste - fortunately, you can't go wrong when you pick the esthetics that please YOU.

That probably didn't help your decison-making, but I hope the size comparisons were useful.

Let us know what you decide. If you contact them, you will find Sean and Alistair are committed to getting you what you want, whether it is an Opus or a full-custom.

Good luck with the decisions!

Last edited by Captain Jim; 01-25-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I love parlor type guitars. I have two x20's, they are already a pretty small guitar. I'm sure the x7 is a great playing guitar, but the x20's are already smaller than most. Here's one of the x20's next to Gibson EC-20 (J-185) which is a pretty "normal" size guitar.

2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-25-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

I own several Emeralds and can speak to the value of both.

Plain & simple the X7 is by all means a small guitar and intended to be a travel size guitar. It's best quality to me is that the neck size and scale length make it seem like you are playing a bigger guitar than it really is. A very impressive little guitar that a lot of people love to just sit on the couch and play and may never use it to travel with.

If I didn't require a travel size guitar (or just really loved small guitars) I'd opt for the X20. It has a decent amount of what I'd call a Bigger sound. It may not be a whole lot louder but is a richer or more robust sound. Also with the ergonomics of all the Emerald guitars the X20 is not going to feel like a large guitar by any means.

Now onto the Opus vs Artisan debate. I own one of each in the X20 and I also have a very nice & fancy Cocobolo woody X20. If you want the look by all means get into a Woody. They are fantastic looking and worth the added cost if looks are something you desire, but if you just want a great playing, sounding guitar and embrace the true Carbon guitar look I can tell you that I hear or feel no difference in the Opus vs Artisan. Yes the tuners on the Opus are a tiny bit less in quality (not much). Also the Opus has the pebble finish on sides & rear. Not a big deal, it feels good and really would slip less on your leg if sitting.

I guess if you are gonna go basic black I'd save the money (& time) and go for an Opus. If you desire a Color only option I'd go for an Artisan or go full beans and get a Woody!

Of course we can't decide for you but I hope everyone's info here is of help to you.

Best of luck to you!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 AM

Benderman makes some great points and covers the issues really well.

The only thing I can add about Opus versus Artisan is that the colors are pretty subtle unless you are in good strong light. In most rooms, the guitar will appear to be black. My other CF guitars are basic black / exposed weave, so I went for green (a favorite color) when ordering my Artisan X20-12. But I was also getting a couple of custom modifications -- and customizing is not available in Opus, which is purely a stock model, ready to ship. The only thing you can do with Opus is add a pickup or change the case options.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 AM

The X7 is very much a small/parlor-sized guitar and is voiced as such. I bought one (the original model with a central soundhole) a few years ago as a travel and "office" guitar and it excelled in that role, but in the past year, I got a Journey Overhead OF420B (because of having to gate-check my Emerald on more than a couple of occasions) and I find that in terms of volume and quality of tone it has to my ears a much richer and complex tone than the little emerald (the Overhead body is approximately 00-sized and with the Manzer wedge design has a much larger airspace which adds depth and resonance. Therefore, nowadays, the Emerald has been resigned to my take-to-the-office guitar. I don't feel bad for it, since it still gets played almost every workday.

However, my experience has led me to be very interested in a full-sized CF guitar, and the Emerald X20 is of great interest to me. I would love to play one sometime!
Old 01-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Rumor has it that Alistair will still make an X10-os even though it's not on the official menu though.
The somewhat persistent rumor of an X10 model keeps me from ordering another X7 custom as I think an X10 would (I assume) be a happy medium between the X7 and X20 in terms of body size. That might be the ticket and I'm in no rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Maybe you should consider a Savoy.
I'd love to hear/play a Savoy in person but I'm not a fan of the look and the price puts it up in Emerald custom territory. If I'm paying that much for a guitar, it's going to be custom made to my exact specs and look killer at the same time.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Guest 928

K20C;

If you get the 7, then you'll want the 20. If you get the 20, then you'll want the 7. Good luck in your decision making.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
K20C;

If you get the 7, then you'll want the 20. If you get the 20, then you'll want the 7. Good luck in your decision making.
Good point, Evan. Together, these two are "the one" for me! Sometimes I want compact, other times I want more. One of each has been a good solution.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:24 PM

I’ve been going through the same thing for the better part of a year. I just bought a Select X7 instead of the X20. I haven’t gotten it yet, so I can’t comment on tone, size etc. I wanted something I could take around with me, and my other 2 acoustics are OMC’s so I wanted something different. And to be honest I’m still unsure if I chose correctly...lol. I’d probably still be on the fence if these weren’t the last of the cocobola. Kind of made me roll the dice.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
I’ve been going through the same thing for the better part of a year. I just bought a Select X7 instead of the X20. I haven’t gotten it yet, so I can’t comment on tone, size etc. I wanted something I could take around with me, and my other 2 acoustics are OMC’s so I wanted something different. And to be honest I’m still unsure if I chose correctly...lol. I’d probably still be on the fence if these weren’t the last of the cocobola. Kind of made me roll the dice.
Now we know who bought that January Select X7! And he's one of US!!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM

Yay us...............!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber