The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 05:34 PM

Thanks everyone. The two trends I’m noticing is that they seem to be tight when new, and they will lend themselves to being bright. THanks!!

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-28-2020 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Not allowed in this subforum.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Like with so many other things, I think some people might over-expect or have unrealistic expectations. There are lots of posts here, at UMGF, and other places that clarify that the characteristics that point towards tonal superiority of Adi (stiffness, strength to weight, etc), are only greater than Sitka on average, and that on a specimen to specimen basis Sitka might be stiffer and stronger than Adi. And that tonal generalizations are just that, generalizations based on average characteristics.

That said, in comparing my Adi topped CS (standard forward shifted braces) to a couple off-the-shelf D-18s, I've found it to be a bit snappier and more responsive and have more volume with my typical attack. Maybe a bit more headroom, but that rather than headroom, it's the easy, effortless volume that I've found most striking about the differences (at least from the driver's seat).

I can't say that I've found it particularly more bright, nor that it felt tight initially or took an especially long time to open up. But I do think it has a bit more of a focused tone with a shorter decay than the standard ones I've played. I suppose this could be taken as brightness and tightness, but it's kind of a matter of perspective.

Of course these observations are based on relatively limited playing time on standard D-18s. So it could certainly be in my head.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:53 PM

Headroom and clarity

2011 Martin 000-18 GE
2017 Martin 000-15m
2006 Martin D-18 GE custom Amberburst
1999 Martin OM-28-V
2018 Martin HD 28 Amberburst
1984 Gibson American SG
2013 Fender EJ Stratocaster
2019 Gibson Les Paul Honey burst "Classic"
2019 50's Baja Telecaster
Vox vt40, 1978 Deluxe Reverb, Fender Super Sonic 22 amp, lots of stomp boxes
Old 02-24-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Like with so many other things, I think some people might over-expect or have unrealistic expectations. There are lots of posts here, at UMGF, and other places that clarify that the characteristics that point towards tonal superiority of Adi (stiffness, strength to weight, etc), are only greater than Sitka on average, and that on a specimen to specimen basis Sitka might be stiffer and stronger than Adi. And that tonal generalizations are just that, generalizations based on average characteristics.

That said, in comparing my Adi topped CS (standard forward shifted braces) to a couple off-the-shelf D-18s, I've found it to be a bit snappier and more responsive and have more volume with my typical attack. Maybe a bit more headroom, but that rather than headroom, it's the easy, effortless volume that I've found most striking about the differences (at least from the driver's seat).

I can't say that I've found it particularly more bright, nor that it felt tight initially or took an especially long time to open up. But I do think it has a bit more of a focused tone with a shorter decay than the standard ones I've played. I suppose this could be taken as brightness and tightness, but it's kind of a matter of perspective.

Of course these observations are based on relatively limited playing time on standard D-18s. So it could certainly be in my head.
This is mighty helpful. There is a standard D-18 hanging in my local guitar shop right now. The color on the top is lighter than some of the orangy/yellowish aging toners you often see. It is rather fetching. I've played it and it sounds good, the grain is wide and honestly, I'm hoping my 517 will sell soon. I would like to pick that one up. The price isn't great on it, but I might could talk him down some.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:33 PM
Custom Guitars

I tend to find that adirondack on mahoagany is the best combo to my ears and I have never been a huge fan of Adi over rosewood. Lots of people will disagree with me and they have great reasons I'm sure but with all the Adi topped guitars I have heard the mahogany back and sides ones always stood out to me.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I found adi tops to feel tight and constricted and took a little more attack pressure than sitka. I find sitka to be a touch more responsive. As Stefan Grossman is reported to have said. Sitka is already broke in.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-25-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
My favorite local dealer cautions against ordering a custom guitar with an Adirondack top as it often doesn't measure up to a customer's expected benefits versus the significant upcharge of Adirondack.
This is valid. While I’m very happy with my Adirondack spruce-topped D-18, when I was deciding what details to get on the Martin Custom Shop 00-21 I ordered a couple of years ago I wrestled with whether I wanted the Adirondack option.

I had previously owned a deep-bodied Double O that Scott Baxendale built for me, his Harwood model, and it had an Adirondack top. The truth is that I never really warmed up to that guitar, even though it was a fine instrument and I got a lot of compliments on its tone.

So when I was thinking about ordering that custom 00-21 from Martin I talked to Todd Yates, a genuine Martin expert who used to participate on this forum.

When I explained my ambivalence about putting an Adirondack top on a 12 fret Double O, not to mention my hesitance over the price of the upgrade, Todd suggested that I consider ordering it with a Swiss spruce top. He told me that Martin had some great Swiss spruce tops and it was only a $150 upgrade.

So that’s what I went with, and am very glad that I did. But it probably wouldn’t have occurred to me if I hadn’t spoken to Todd.

Thanks for the excellent advice, Todd!

Anyway, an Adirondack spruce top is not always the best choice.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-26-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Todd cannot answer since he is no longer with AGF, but we can see his contribution in the AGF archive under Guest 1928 name.

He is active on UMGF, though.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:00 AM

The whole spruce debacle is fascinating, so many spruces, so little time ..
Old 02-26-2020, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
This is valid. While I’m very happy with my Adirondack spruce-topped D-18, when I was deciding what details to get on the Martin Custom Shop 00-21 I ordered a couple of years ago I wrestled with whether I wanted the Adirondack option.

I had previously owned a deep-bodied Double O that Scott Baxendale built for me, his Harwood model, and it had an Adirondack top. The truth is that I never really warmed up to that guitar, even though it was a fine instrument and I got a lot of compliments on its tone.

So when I was thinking about ordering that custom 00-21 from Martin I talked to Todd Yates, a genuine Martin expert who used to participate on this forum.

When I explained my ambivalence about putting an Adirondack top on a 12 fret Double O, not to mention my hesitance over the price of the upgrade, Todd suggested that I consider ordering it with a Swiss spruce top. He told me that Martin had some great Swiss spruce tops and it was only a $150 upgrade.

So that’s what I went with, and am very glad that I did. But it probably wouldn’t have occurred to me if I hadn’t spoken to Todd.

Anyway, an Adirondack spruce top is not always the best choice.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
My feeling is that for some players a good reason to order Adirondack (Red Spruce) on a guitar build is so it'll make the guitar one step closer to the "golden era" specifications that some players want.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-02-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
My feeling is that for some players a good reason to order Adirondack (Red Spruce) on a guitar build is so it'll make the guitar one step closer to the "golden era" specifications that some players want.
The D-18 in my sights also has GE bracing and no aged toner. I'm about 75% certain I want to order it, but I'm not sure I'd like it that much more than a Standard D-18. I know that I want louder, but not necessarily brighter or more strident.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Done deal. Ordered a Custom D-18 Adi with GE bracing and no toner from Jon at MFG....gonna miss that guy lol,but pretty soon his only concern will be getting drinks refilled by the pool...
Old 03-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I've owned Jon's D-18 Adirondack but not with the GE bracing. I'm sure it's a stellar guitar in every way. And like you...I'm gonna miss Jon too.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-02-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Should be a beast! Hope it works out for you... I do sometimes wish I ordered mine with GE bracing.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-02-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJChapin View Post
Headroom and clarity
^^^^^
this plus more volume or is that headroom??? Mine is a cannon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion