The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 05:28 PM

My late mother played piano and sang, my late father sang, my maternal grandfather sang (primarily Jimmy Rodgers) and whistled beautifully. My son expressed an interest in guitar when he was a teenager but life got in the way of his continuing. Maybe he'll come back when he is older. My wife played clarinet and flute when younger, can read music and play what is on the sheet but has no interest in any of that anymore. She has always supported my interest in it (even to the point of telling me when she thinks I should get a better guitar). No other family members appear to be interested. I have a cousin who said when I showed her a 12 string guitar I had just gotten "That is just like the one Kris used to leave at my house". I said Kris who and she said Kristofferson. She lived in Nashville at the time.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:16 PM

To answer the OP question. Yes. My older brother was the first to play guitar, 50 some years ago. I followed in his footsteps, so to speak. Our youngest sister took piano lessons and eventually also learned guitar. Another younger sister, decided about age 56 or so to learn. She’s enjoying it, especially since retiring a few months ago. She has a little free time now. My husband loves music and has tried to learn guitar, but usually gives up soon after each attempt. The only sibling who doesn’t play is our oldest sister. She tried, but just has no talent. I and my siblings all played in the school band. I played percussion from 5th thru 12th grades.

And then there’s the next generation. I have 4 nephews, who all play. And even though my brother and I are decent guitarists, the 4 nephews are better. Music and guitars are very much a part of our being.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin

Last edited by alien; 02-24-2020 at 03:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion