The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

....great anecdote.....i am not trying to be flip...but...I will always appreciate players for their music and not how many guitars they do or do not own....or how long they have owned them....I have no other way to appreciate any musician....
Old 02-23-2020, 01:31 PM

When you think about it, many of our favorite pro players stick with one instrument, more or less, and are "known" for playing one particular model most of the time. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Strat, David Gilmour's Tele, Jeff Beck's Strat, BB King's Lucille, Brent Mason's primer gray Tele, Tommy Emmanuel's Maton, Michael Hedges' old beat up Martin, Pat Metheny's ES175 and later on his Ibanez signature model....the list goes on and on. Sure, they all own several guitars and may perform with others, but their home base is that one model, or that one model is what put them on the map.

One very accomplished jazz player I'm aware of is still playing his MIM Fender Strat after all these years.

I think the point is that many, many pro players find an instrument that works for them and then they regard it nothing more as a tool to accomplish a job. The music comes first, gear comes second.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:36 PM

I’ve got the only one I want, and the only one I need. We cool. I really love my guitar.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
When you think about it, many of our favorite pro players stick with one instrument, more or less, and are "known" for playing one particular model most of the time. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Strat, David Gilmour's Tele, Jeff Beck's Strat, BB King's Lucille, Brent Mason's primer gray Tele, Tommy Emmanuel's Maton, Michael Hedges' old beat up Martin, Pat Metheny's ES175 and later on his Ibanez signature model....the list goes on and on. Sure, they all own several guitars and may perform with others, but their home base is that one model, or that one model is what put them on the map.

One very accomplished jazz player I'm aware of is still playing his MIM Fender Strat after all these years.

I think the point is that many, many pro players find an instrument that works for them and then they regard it nothing more as a tool to accomplish a job. The music comes first, gear comes second.
Interesting that it’s almost all electrics. (Tommy has lots of Matons.)
Old 02-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I tried the one-guitar thing...but then my one and only guitar ended up in the shop for a month for a warranty repair. Suddenly I was guitarless! No way I could go that long without playing, so I bought a backup and have always had a less expensive backup guitar ever since.
This is one of the reasons I have not one, not two, but three Cole Clarks! Yes, as a gigging player (even a only a semi-regular gigger) I need a back up. When I get to a place and time that I am no longer gigging then I can see myself going down to just one. Maybe!

Quote:

You forgot probably the most extreme case of a playing pro that only plays one guitarist: Willie Nelson! The funny thing about these guys is that, yes, they are know for and play only one guitar even though can afford many, MANY more. But then again, how much do they spend keeping that ONE guitar in playing order?!? I've seen the video of the lengths that Willie's guitar tech goes through to keep the poor guitar in playing condition!!
Old 02-23-2020, 03:08 PM

I appreciate and respect those who play only one guitar "for whatever reason."

I also appreciate and respect those who have more "for whatever reason."

Play and enjoy what you have, not what others think you should have.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Do you think it could have something to do with the fact that they are usually under contract to only be seen with guitar x?

Just sayin’
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-23-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I played the same guitar from 1990 until about 2014 when I started buying and selling guitars. I had 3 but really only played one. I have settled into 3 once again. 2 Martin's and one Gibson. I played that one guitar mainly due to financial constraints. I had a custom telecaster for all those years as well but I just never warmed to electric guitars, and a laminate cheap Takamine which really wasn't all that cheap when I bought it. I will never sell my D-18 or J45 unless there comes a time when I can no longer play them and then I would rather give them to someone who will appreciate them and who might not be able to afford a nice guitar. Finding that someone in this day and age will be a chore though.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
I played the same guitar from 1990 until about 2014 when I started buying and selling guitars. I had 3 but really only played one. I have settled into 3 once again. 2 Martin's and one Gibson. I played that one guitar mainly due to financial constraints. I had a custom telecaster for all those years as well but I just never warmed to electric guitars, and a laminate cheap Takamine which really wasn't all that cheap when I bought it. I will never sell my D-18 or J45 unless there comes a time when I can no longer play them and then I would rather give them to someone who will appreciate them and who might not be able to afford a nice guitar. Finding that someone in this day and age will be a chore though.
I like how you think. Good on ya.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-23-2020, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I know in my heart of hearts that I’ve never played better than back in the 70s/early 80s when I had one acoustic and one electric that I regularly gigged with. Yes, I had back ups, but I played them only in certain situations.

I feel as if the guitar I played day in and day out was an extension of myself.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 PM
Eric Skye

I'm basically back to just one again and I love it. I have two of exactly the same guitar, one as backup and for air travel. For many years I only had the single 00. Maybe I have ADD, but I just really thrive on the simplicity. Years ago I used to have more of a gear thing, but for me it was mostly just a huge time suck.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:19 AM

That was my grandfather. One guitar his whole life, a very very well used no name arch top acoustic.
Same with my dad, bought is epiphone ft 145 around 40 or so years so, still his only one and he plays it regularly. I guess he has my grandpas guitar now too.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:07 AM

My D-28 takes me way back to the great, joyful times when I was still an innocent college student, the times, the jobs I've done when I saved money for that guitar, and the times when I played it for my ex-gf, and other good memories are living with that guitar. I do have a Furch and I'm probably going to buy a Collings around next year or so, but I don't think I'm going to replace my D-28 any time soon.
Martin Backpacker('11)
Seagull Maritime SWS Concert Hall CW Semi-Gloss('11)
Cort Earth 100SE('11)
Yamaha A3R('12)
Martin D-28('12)
Furch Yellow Gc-CR('18)
Old 02-24-2020, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

I'm a guitar freak, but I'm focussing on the search for that song, and the clips.
A plaintive modest love song, with a gentle and simple theme, slightly reminiscent of James Taylor esp., when played with a fingerstyle accompaniment.

I started accumulating guitars in the early 70s and was trading Martins after a while.
In '75 I got a promotion and moved out of London into my first "owned" property - a one bed flat, and I had to sell everything I had to pay the monthly mortgage bill.
A short while later, I found a '73 Martin D35 with a fixed "airport fracture" that I'd heard in a band I'd briefly played in, and it had something special.
I kept that guitar for I think, 21 years, an d never thought of anything else until I foolishly sold it to a friend. he still has it, and it is his only guitar. It still sounds better than any other D35 I've heard.

Thanks for the music and the thoughts.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:35 AM

I can certainly appreciate the sentiment of the OP. I came into guitar in my 40s, and "unfortunately" had enough disposable income to purchase multiple guitars in the first few years of playing. I say "unfortunately" because there does seem to be something romantic about purchasing a guitar and growing with that guitar over a long period of time.

Of course Methos1979 wasn't saying that's what anybody SHOULD do. But I can understand why such stories reflect a sentimentality of bonding with a single instrument.
Preston Thompson: O Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion