The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabst View Post
I‘ve tried the 322ce 12 fret and love it but never had a chance to get my hands on a 324. I play mostly Blues (Keb Mo Style) and stuff from the Eagles and Stones. So 50/50 Fingerpicking and strumming. Am I missing something when I don‘t try the 324? Is the lowend of the 324 better or just louder? From the videos I think the lowend with 12 fret is equally good, if not better. Im just 165cm, so rather small and small hands. 12 fret is really comfortable but I‘m fine with a 114ce so I should be fine with a 324 too.
I went thru a similar dilemma when trying out some larger Larrivee 12 frets. They have an LS model that's not quite as big as the 324, but compared to the tone of my Larrivee OO, the bigger size just made the bass sound "tubbier" if that makes any sense. The bass was just a bit louder, but the whole tone of the guitar lost the crisp treble focus the smaller body gives.

I see you eventually settled on the 322 so congratulations. For my style of play I enjoy the 322 tone over any other Taylor I've ever played.

PS I'm a Keb Mo fan as well and I think he'd approve of the smaller body as well being that his Gibson signature is a L-OO 12 fret.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
I see this is an old thread, but having played and owned a few taylors, the ones I have kept are the 12-fretters. This is because of the remarkable bass tone they make because of the rearward shifted bridge and bracing. Better bass tone than the GA 14 frets- IMO
Agree, the bass out of such a small guitar is surprising.
Last time I posted in this thread I was waiting for my 322 12 Fret. In hind sight my only mistake was ordering it without a cutaway, but I will never part with this one.
When flesh finger picked the bass from the low E is almost too much, and I move the right hand closer to the bridge.
Believe it or not, I run extra light (or custom light) strings 11-50. Not only does it drive the top easily, but to my ears the tone is so balanced and articulate. Even though it’s considered a finger style guitar, I can actually strum it harder than with the lights that came on it. With lights the sound will muddy-up with hard strumming. Plus it is so easy to play. The majority of my playing is with a pick.
Regarding strings- I’ve never stopped experimenting, but so far she likes the Ernie Ball Alum Bronze strings. These strings sound like crap on every other guitar that we have (bright and brittle), but they allow the 322 to chime. GHS Vintage extra lights are also good.
Also, the midrange on this guitar is loud.
Regards
-Takamine EAN40c-12
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil40272 View Post
I recently bought a 322e 12 fret.

I have experimented with different strings given that I typically don't like Elixers.
I have gone back to the elixir HD lights for this little guy.
The 322 isn't a very versatile guitar, due to the fact that it has such a unique tone, but if you like the tone, it will be hard to replace.
I have played a lot of 12 frets over the year, but this wood combo brings something new to the table.
Good luck with your new guitar.
I also have gone around the block with strings-
I landed on Thomastik Plectrums, 11s.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM

Hey JPMist,
Really nice playing
-Takamine EAN40c-12
Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargeak99 View Post
Hey JPMist,
Really nice playing
Thanks for clicking on that link! Made my day . . .

Someone at the Taylor forum asked for a sound sample of our 322 12 fret with Ernie Ball Al Bronzes, so as soon as the new strings gets put on, so I'm gonna offer Game of Thrones . . .

Old 02-24-2020, 10:15 AM

I've played both models side by side. Not a huge slothead fan, but the 322 won the comparison - and I went to the store specifically interested in the 324.

I walked out with a 327e that just smoked everything else in the place, and am completely happy with that decision.

However, the 322 was a joy to play. I play with a light to medium attack and did not find the 322 to lack headroom at all.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDR20 View Post
I walked out with a 327e that just smoked everything else in the place, and am completely happy with that decision.
Congrats on your new guitar! How does the 327 compare to the 322 12 fret? Which one do you think is more versatile?
Old 02-25-2020, 10:51 AM

I had the good fortune to be able to spend about an hour and a half in a student room in a nice store that had a 322ce both in 12 and 14 fret. I went in with every intention to buy a 322ce 12 fret and ended up after playing them both on and off, back to back, leaving with the 14 fret model. The 14 fret just seemed to deliver a nicer, more present top end than the 12 fret model while still being "slinky" enough with the short scale for what I was looking for. That's why we have Horses for Courses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion