The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-04-2019, 09:02 AM

I buy it that maybe my model (Kevin Michael Touring) was not yet up-to-snuff. I'm totally willing to give them another shot at some point.

I will say that, without exception, my favorite composite guitars have always been Blackbirds. Super OM was a phenomenal instrument, and the El Capitan is my favorite guitar to just pick up and play.

I've got an x20 incoming that I'm excited about---haven't played any of those yet. Really liked the x30, but just could never get comfortable with it. Never quite bonded.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
I will say that, without exception, my favorite composite guitars have always been Blackbirds. Super OM was a phenomenal instrument, and the El Capitan is my favorite guitar to just pick up and play.

I've got an x20 incoming that I'm excited about---haven't played any of those yet. Really liked the x30, but just could never get comfortable with it. Never quite bonded.
Thanks for the El Capitan comment - saved me asking how it compared. I like my Lucky 13 quite a bit. By the time I was thinking seriously about Blackbird they had stopped making the Super OM, unless you found one still in stock, like at LA Guitars. When I talked with Joe about building my Lucky 13, he tried to get me to upgrade into an El Cap. That was seriously considered, but I was focused on getting a smaller bodied guitar. This was before the Savoy was revealed.

I too find that I am not bonding with my X30 nearly as closely as with the X20. You'll like X20 when it gets there.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
I buy it that maybe my model (Kevin Michael Touring) was not yet up-to-snuff. I'm totally willing to give them another shot at some point.

Having never seen or played an Emerald (yet), I can't comment on them other than to say they are highly regarded around here. In my experience, a player not bonding with a guitar can often be on the player, rather than the guitar. So giving Emerald another try certainly makes sense.

As an example, I once owned a wood McPherson guitar. It was certainly a fine guitar, but just too large for me. I played out with it a few times and its plugged in sound was quite good and I got compliments on its amplified sound through my AER 60. I ended up reluctantly selling that guitar. I have no regrets because it simply didn't work for me, but the memory of the build quality stays with me.

Trying the larger McPherson Sable at Fret Central on two different occasions, I had a similar reaction to my wood version. The problem is not with the guitar, it is me. I broke my right wrist years ago and as a result, lost much of the rotation of that wrist so the best I can do is turn it so my hand is perpendicular to the floor, rather than the full 180 degree rotation most of us enjoy. For that reason, I simply can't handle larger guitars, and is also the reason I much prefer the Cargo and Touring.

From what I have read here, I would probably do well with an X10 or X20 if I were to consider an Emerald at some point. My problem (not Emerald's) is that I am VERY reluctant to spend that kind of money sight unseen. Each of my guitars I bought locally, and played before buying. Even then, some worked out and some eventually didn't. What I have now are all keepers, some wood, some CF, since they have been with me long enough to know for sure that they work well for me.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-05-2019, 07:02 AM

Thanks for all the great insights, experiences and opinions. I think some of you are right about the evolution of the carbon fiber at McPherson having progressed from testing things out to getting things really right. I do love the Sable, but now am intrigued about some of the other CF offerings, particularly the amazing things Emerald can do. Happy playing!
1983 Ovation Limited Edition
1996 Gibson J-30
2015 Kamaka Tenor Koa Uke
2010 Kamoa Tenor Flaming Maple Uke
2000 G&L Comanche
2013 Fylde Falstaff Claro Walnut B&S /Stripy Sinker Redwood Top

Old 07-05-2019, 08:06 AM

Default Thanks for the great insights and experiences

Happy playing, all!
1983 Ovation Limited Edition
1996 Gibson J-30
2015 Kamaka Tenor Koa Uke
2010 Kamoa Tenor Flaming Maple Uke
2000 G&L Comanche
2013 Fylde Falstaff Claro Walnut B&S /Stripy Sinker Redwood Top

Last edited by beauwriter; 07-05-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: duplicate message

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon, carbon fiber, mcpherson, sable