The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
So I did the experiment and the results were interesting. The main reason for me bothering with it was to see if the Schatten HFN would overdrive the anthem preamp In case I decide to convert the passive to active in the future.

The Schatten did not overdrive the preamp at all which I was happy about. Putting the anthem tone control full towards the neck (which is full Schatten in this case) it was a little muddier than when it was passive. That is most likely due to the way the anthem preamp is set up so I started playing around with the crossover and all the adjustments bla bla bla and ended up with about a 50% blend, tru-mic was mounted on the bottom of the guitar which took away some of the harshness from it. I must say I ended up with a really nice sound. The Schatten and tru-mic blend really well together. The output was hotter than normal of course but not much. Probably due to the low output that the anthem preamp is known for.

All in all if you have the passive version and wanted to convert to active I'm willing to bet any fishman, baggs or other preamp that you might have kicking around would work just fine.
Thanks for the experiment report.

With respect to "mixing and matching" the HFN with other preamps, I can report this about my own "mix and match" with the VTC Matrix Infinity preamp. I have to EQ a ton of bass out of my VTC Matrix Infinity preamp/OTSS UST matchup, when the preamp is at its most trebly setting. (Using my Zoom A3's extensive EQ capability, I'm cutting 4db at 40Hz, 8db at 80Hz and 5db at 160Hz.) I suspect that pairing the HFN with the Matrix Infinity preamp would give you an even bassier result than what you're getting with the Element preamp, That's certainly the case with the two "mix and match" pairings with my two OTSS USTs.

Running the Matrix Infinity/OTSS UST into ToneDexter, when TD is on bypass I need a 7.5db bass cut to get me close to an even tone. When I ran a passive OTSS UST into ToneDexter on bypass, the result was actually on the side of sounding too trebly. I presume that's because TD's 1Mohm input impedance isn't quite enough to get a full tone from the OTSS UST.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the experiment report.

With respect to "mixing and matching" the HFN with other preamps, I can report this about my own "mix and match" with the VTC Matrix Infinity preamp. I have to EQ a ton of bass out of my VTC Matrix Infinity preamp/OTSS UST matchup, when the preamp is at its most trebly setting. (Using my Zoom A3's extensive EQ capability, I'm cutting 4db at 40Hz, 8db at 80Hz and 5db at 160Hz.) I suspect that pairing the HFN with the Matrix Infinity preamp would give you an even bassier result than what you're getting with the Element preamp, That's certainly the case with the two "mix and match" pairings with my two OTSS USTs.

Running the Matrix Infinity/OTSS UST into ToneDexter, when TD is on bypass I need a 7.5db bass cut to get me close to an even tone. When I ran a passive OTSS UST into ToneDexter on bypass, the result was actually on the side of sounding too trebly. I presume that's because TD's 1Mohm input impedance isn't quite enough to get a full tone from the OTSS UST.
Yeah it seems Fishman preamps typically have a hotter output than others. I wonder if that has anything to do with it or maybe different impedance from the baggs preamps.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah it seems Fishman preamps typically have a hotter output than others. I wonder if that has anything to do with it or maybe different impedance from the baggs preamps.
My suspicion is that dedicated preamps like the Matrix Infinity system preamp or the Baggs Element Active system preamp are specifically "voiced" (EQed) to compliment the specific pickup which it is intended to be matched with. The User Guide for the Element Active System uses the term "pre-contoured".

The Element Active System combines Element undersaddle pickup with a pre-contoured, all-discrete class A endpin preamp

When it comes to onboard preamps which have an intentionally flat frequency response, I think the Schatten Design preamps would be a good choice, provided the input impedance is high enough to properly accommodate the particular pickup. If you click "technical" on this page, it stipulates "flat frequency response".

https://schatten-pickups-cdn.myshopi.../player-preamp

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-18-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
My suspicion is that dedicated preamps like the Matrix Infinity system preamp or the Baggs Element Active system preamp are specifically "voiced" (EQed) to compliment the specific pickup which it is intended to be matched with. The User Guide for the Element Active System uses the term "pre-contoured".

The Element Active System combines Element undersaddle pickup with a pre-contoured, all-discrete class A endpin preamp

When it comes to onboard preamps which have an intentionally flat frequency response, I think the Schatten Design preamps would be a good choice, provided the input impedance is high enough to properly accommodate the particular pickup. If you click "technical" on this page, it stipulates "flat frequency response".

https://schatten-pickups-cdn.myshopi.../player-preamp
I just checked out that Schatten endpin preamp. 2000 hrs battery life is pretty impressive. I used the think the anthem with 170 hrs was impressive.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I just checked out that Schatten endpin preamp. 2000 hrs battery life is pretty impressive. I used the think the anthem with 170 hrs was impressive.
Interestingly, Bluestarmusic is selling the HFN SBT with the no frills "Player" strapjack preamp for only $20 more than the passive HFN SBT w/strapjack.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Where's the best dealer to buy an HFN Artist Plus 2 with two channel endpin jack preamp, volume control for each channel, phantom power capable? This is the full-blown HFN model. I want it with the new ABS base. Back in late 2012, I had this same model with rosewood base, ordered directly from Schatten Design, but I wasn't happy with its amplified tone. I sent it back to Schatten. Maybe the new ABS base is better? My next system after sending back the Schatten was a Trance Amulet M-VT and I was so happy with it that I ordered another one within an hour after installing and testing the first one in a Martin dreadnought. Given all the positive postings on the tone of the recent installations, I'm considering getting the new HFN Artist Plus 2 with two channel endpin jack preamp, volume control for each channel, phantom power capable with its new ABS base. Any good Schatten dealers out there? Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Interestingly, Bluestarmusic is selling the HFN SBT with the no frills "Player" strapjack preamp for only $20 more than the passive HFN SBT w/strapjack.
That would be a steal!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Where's the best dealer to buy an HFN Artist Plus 2 with two channel endpin jack preamp, volume control for each channel, phantom power capable? This is the full-blown HFN model. I want it with the new ABS base. Back in late 2012, I had this same model with rosewood base, ordered directly from Schatten Design, but I wasn't happy with its amplified tone. I sent it back to Schatten. Maybe the new ABS base is better? My next system after sending back the Schatten was a Trance Amulet M-VT and I was so happy with it that I ordered another one within an hour after installing and testing the first one in a Martin dreadnought. Given all the positive postings on the tone of the recent installations, I'm considering getting the new HFN Artist Plus 2 with two channel endpin jack preamp, volume control for each channel, phantom power capable with its new ABS base. Any good Schatten dealers out there? Thanks!
I bought mine straight from Schatten as I didn't want to take a chance and get an older version from a distributor that may have older stock. Whichever distributor you check out make sure with them that you're getting the latest version. I like Bluestar music. Even though I live in Canada I bought online from there a few times. They have good prices and seem to carry everything.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I bought mine straight from Schatten as I didn't want to take a chance and get an older version from a distributor that may have older stock. Whichever distributor you check out make sure with them that you're getting the latest version. I like Bluestar music. Even though I live in Canada I bought online from there a few times. They have good prices and seem to carry everything.
Thanks, GuitarLuva! I, too, ordered my original Schatten Artist 2 from Schatten as I wanted to make sure that I had the latest design back in late 2012. If I order another one it'll once again be direct from Schatten Design.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks, GuitarLuva! I, too, ordered my original Schatten Artist 2 from Schatten as I wanted to make sure that I had the latest design back in late 2012. If I order another one it'll once again be direct from Schatten Design.
No problem. Someone in one of the threads pointed out to me that you will pay more to order from Schatten directly vs a distributor.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:31 PM

Default How’s the HFN universe?

I really enjoyed this thread and just ordered a passive HFN. No one’s posted for awhile so I thought I’d ask what updates or changes anyone’s made?
Old 02-23-2021, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

I'm not thrilled with the tone of my Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 in my Martin D-18. There isn't much bass response. For passive pickups, I now like the Dazzo I just put in my Larrivee D-40M.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-24-2021, 03:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks to the OP and others for this thread. I've been hearing a lot of good things about these pickups. I suppose I'll have to get one someday.

scott memmer
Old 02-24-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not thrilled with the tone of my Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 in my Martin D-18. There isn't much bass response. For passive pickups, I now like the Dazzo I just put in my Larrivee D-40M.
My thoughts as well. The pickups just lack low end. I feel that the construction, where the actual pickup is somewhat floating on the plastic base, is the reason why the pickup is so mic like but it's also the reason why the bass is weak.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:35 PM

Piling on. I LOVED the sonic upgrade of the Schatten after using the K+K Pure Mini for years. I also noticed the lean bass response but it worked out for live performance.

After trying the Dazzo, it's my new high-water mark. Sounds 'mic-like' but with more even response.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification