The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-14-2020, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Tassie #4 - Slinky ...

... Thylacine, 2020

Inspired by a well known red Koi beside a soundhole, I thought a Tasmanian Tiger would be a nice way to allude to the Tassie origin of most of the timbers used for this guitar. Sibling to 'Morty' (Sugar Skull) - with the addition of Venetian cutaway and crushed champagne-coloured shell inlay, Thylo's back & sides are Blackheart Sassafras, top is Qld Bunya Pine, neck is Tassie Oak & Myrtle, fingerboard/bridge are dark Blackwood, bevel & head are reddish Blackwood.

Both guitar bodies progressed together until it was time to design their different tops

Among a number of drafts and sketches, this tribal-look design seemed to best capture the slinking motion of a Thylacine on the prowl.

Then it was time to close the box, moving on to create my first Ventian cutaway. Fiddly stuff, especially since I got some of the sequence mixed up. It's a bit more time consuming to fit the binding later where the corners should meet neatly, when it could have been done simpler at some previous step. Part of the learning curve for me.

... crushed shell inlay and resin, bevel and purfling

Instead of finishing with shellac/french polish as my previous guitars, for Thylo I chose nitrocellulose varnish to keep it a bit lighter. The fret markers on the fingerboard signify Tassie Tiger stripes, also inlaid with crushed shell. It seemed to me as if the nitrocellulose made the colours pop with more brilliance than shellac.

Last edited by Chris Shute; 09-14-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:22 PM

That’s really beautiful!

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 09-15-2020, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

So many nice things about that guitar Chris, well done!
Old 09-15-2020, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaan View Post
That’s really beautiful!
Thanks jaan, nice of you to say so.
I liked the idea of adding something playful to the rosette, without it becoming too overpowering. Turned out ok, phew

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
So many nice things about that guitar Chris, well done!
Thanks colins, for your kind words. It's always a boost and a bonus to me to receive positive feedback like yours. Much appreciated.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:00 AM

Marvelous!
Old 09-15-2020, 07:46 AM

Another fantastic build Chris. I love your use of Aussie timbers!

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is only #4 .... Great work and looking forward to seeing more.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohr View Post
Marvelous!
Thanks amohr, nice that you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
Another fantastic build Chris. I love your use of Aussie timbers! I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this is only #4 .... Great work and looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks Nahil, yes I think that Aussie timbers are making steady progress in the guitar building world. Nature is amazing - doesn't mind overthrowing traditionalist's precepts by growing fantastic tone woods in far flung places

Re only #4; well, it's been a long journey (nearly 4 years) during which my friend & mentor mainly tried to impart this philosophy, "If you could get it right by doing the right things from the start - why wouldn't you?" That's another journey in itself. Enjoyable and thoroughly rewarding. The rest is contemplation and practice, practice, practice ... trying to keep my wall of shame small
Old 09-17-2020, 04:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Your design sense is very nice, and your courage in tackling hard stuff is admirable. These really look great! Congrats!
Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Very nice details, Chris. The rosette demands one's attention, and rightly so, but mercy--those are nice details on the cutaway. Tight, precise work.
Kudos!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-18-2020, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Your design sense is very nice, and your courage in tackling hard stuff is admirable. These really look great! Congrats!
Thanks Carpinteria, that's a very nice thing to hear [emoji41], taste is so subjective. Tackling hard stuff? Yeah, though I've received encouragement from this comment: 'It's only hard until it's easy.'
This wasn't easy. But it was fun.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Very nice details, Chris. The rosette demands one's attention, and rightly so, but mercy--those are nice details on the cutaway. Tight, precise work.
Kudos!

Steve
Hi Steve, that's a great compliment to receive from an accomplished luthier such as yourself, spurs me on to not slacken off - thanks heaps!
Old 09-26-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shute View Post
Thanks amohr, nice that you like it.

Thanks Nahil, yes I think that Aussie timbers are making steady progress in the guitar building world. Nature is amazing - doesn't mind overthrowing traditionalist's precepts by growing fantastic tone woods in far flung places

Re only #4; well, it's been a long journey (nearly 4 years) during which my friend & mentor mainly tried to impart this philosophy, "If you could get it right by doing the right things from the start - why wouldn't you?" That's another journey in itself. Enjoyable and thoroughly rewarding. The rest is contemplation and practice, practice, practice ... trying to keep my wall of shame small
Hi Chris,

I would love to see some pics of your top bracing ... any chance you have some you can share?

Cheers mate,

Nahil.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:05 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hello, Chris! Beautiful designs! Do you happen to have a website or Facebook page that I can link to in our sponsor directory? Thanks for your support!

JR
Old 09-27-2020, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahil.R View Post
Hi Chris, I would love to see some pics of your top bracing ... any chance you have some you can share? Cheers mate, Nahil.
hi Nahil, thanks for your interest. Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of my top bracing (mostly obstructed by go-bar-sticks), but I can tell you that atm I'm following pretty close to those traditional layout patterns which are readily available from books or build dvd's. I'm gathering experience along the way as to what works best, what doesn't - and try to get to the bottom of why it is so. Somogyi adressed the layout principles in his books 'The Responsive Guitar'. That was very helpful to me.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Hello, Chris! Beautiful designs! Do you happen to have a website or Facebook page that I can link to in our sponsor directory? Thanks for your support! JR
Hi JR, thanks for your nice welcome! AGF is this fabulous venue for fans & builders, I enjoy it a lot!
Thanks for your kind offer, however I have neither website nor FB page for my guitars as yet. I'd say it'll still take quite some time before I'm ready to design/create a website ... for my coming out as it were
Best Wishes, Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop