The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Default If I change pickup systems...

My recently acquired '95 Taylor 910 has an incredible acoustic sound and it's personality can change dramatically with different strings. It came with an old EMG piezo UST pickup and preamp (no controls). Yesterday when I plugged it in to test I was surprised to hear the volume get louder and softer on it's own. I had just checked the battery when changing strings and it was showing more strength than a Rayovac "high energy" 9v.

I'm not a fan of UST's to begin with but I got to thinking if this volume variance is more than an anomaly then I'll certainly want to change pickups. Of course K&K is at the top of the list or perhaps Schatten. That's not important right now.

I've just installed a bone saddle in on top of the UST and the action is as perfect as it can be for me. But, if I change out the pickup system, should I just leave the UST in place with the existing saddle? Or, do I rip it out and fit a new saddle? How thick are UST's generally as I've never seen one in person outside of a guitar?

Second question... Let's say I go with a K&K but want to have the flexibility to alternate between the pickups having found the volume issue with the EMG was a one-off occurance... As the preamp in the EMG is NOT in the end pin jack, what is the possiblity of installing a "terminal" inside the guitar where each one could conceivably switch between the two pickups.

Alternately, let's say I decide to scrap the EMG and want to go with a dual source, what do I put in it? TIA
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-28-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

I think the first thing to do is remove the ust from under the saddle and just tape it inside the guitar. You can either make a new saddle or just try a shim and see what you hear.

I did this to my two Martin's that came with ust's and it was a nice wake up to both of them.

I plan on putting JBB's in both eventually with the outlet next to the empty battery box so this was the start of the project.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Rip it out and get a new saddle

You could either order the stock Taylor/TUSQ compensated saddle and shave it down for you playing preference or send the old saddle to have it duplicated in bone at the correct hight. I use Bob colossi for all my saddle needs.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I've just installed a bone saddle in on top of the UST and the action is as perfect as it can be for me. But, if I change out the pickup system, should I just leave the UST in place with the existing saddle? Or, do I rip it out and fit a new saddle? How thick are UST's generally as I've never seen one in person outside of a guitar?
UST pickups are generally about 1/32" or .0315" thick but can likely vary a bit. In the case of an LR Baggs Element UST, whether using the 1/8" or 3/32" width depending on a guitar's saddle-slot width, the final "crushed" thickness of the Element is going to also be about 1/32". Also, out of a desire to have the purest tone, I'd remove an unused UST and fit the guitar with a new saddle to compensate for the UST height.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-28-2019 at 08:50 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification