The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox vs Fishman SA330x

I've been considering investing in a small, portable, PA system for gigs that don't supply sound. I've looked at a bunch and many seem like great candidates but I recently started considering the Fishman SA330x. That said, their Loudbox Artist and Performer have a lot of features and power and I've used their Loudbox Mini to much positive affect in small settings. From all I can tell, the larger Loudboxes are great as well.

Anyone have experience with a Fishman PA and the larger Loudboxes and have an opinion of one over the other?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 09-23-2019, 05:38 PM

I have a LB mini and I just sold my performer and can vouch for the performers volume and punch, but you should consider the Bose S1 also. The S1 competes with the volume of the performer at half the weight, which is why sold the performer.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:48 AM

I've been a happy loudbox artist user for about 10 years now. It really depends on what your needs are. I use mine for jamming at home, with an acoustic guitar and mic, and even rocking out on an electric guitar. It's small and portable to take to a friends house or similar and powerful enough to use alone for smaller solo/duo gigs like coffee shops. For larger venues I use it as a monitor and its lined out to the house PA. Great all around amp that I never saw the need to change.

In the past I did think about selling it for a SA330x but for me that would be overkill. For you though it sounds like the SA330x or similar might be a better option.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I owned the Fishman Loudbox Mini, Artist and the SA220 (predecessor to the SA330x). All were great sounding amps. If you need a lot of power and sound dispersement then the SA330x would be the way to go. While definitely smaller than hauling a ton of PA equipment I wouldn't call it small and portable though. Depending on the size of the venue the Artist would be great choice and give a lot of volume and decent coverage as well.

The ultimate in small and portable since you mentioned it is the Bose S1. As long as you've got something preamping your signal (mixer, preamp pedal, etc.) you can get a lot of volume in a 15 lb package that you can also run on battery. Buy two and you can do just about anything with it. We've gone that route in our acoustic duo. But the Fishman products are certainly very good choices as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I have used an SA220 for 8 years. It remains the single best gear purchase I have made. It is bigger and heavier than the Fishman Artist, but the "all in one" feature set eliminates the need for other add-ons. And, it gets very hot where I live, and the ROLLING case had saved my bacon many times when I have to park 1/4 mile from the gig.

If/when my 220 finally gives up the ghost, it will,more than likely, be replaced with a 330.

Steve
Old 09-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the input! It doesn't sound like there isn't a consensus but everyone like the Artists, SA220/330, and the Bose S1. I guess I have more research to do.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 09-25-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Thanks for all the input! It doesn't sound like there isn't a consensus but everyone like the Artists, SA220/330, and the Bose S1. I guess I have more research to do.

They are different products. Depends on the size of your venue.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification