The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-05-2019, 06:54 PM
Me

Default 1962 LG0 Gibson back seam open

I have a friend with a 1962 Gibson back seam that opened up. The back braces were also coming off. I pulled the braces off and sanded the braces and back to remove the adhesive. I can easily reattach them.
The back seam is another issue. I don't think I can sand off the adhesive. It is reddish-brown in color. Does anyone know what the adhesive is the Gibson used back then on their LG0 guitars? Does the color provide enough information? I'm hoping that it is HHG. Is there a way to determine if it is?
If I cannot determine what it is, I might use epoxy, unless someone has a better idea.
Would opening it up to about .025" so I can remove the adhesive and add a thin purfling work well?
I'm open to ideas. This is a free fix for a friend, but I want it to work well.
Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair