The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2019, 04:09 PM

Default Fishman Aura F1+ into... ??

Hello guys, just a quick question.

I ran through a buzzing issue the other night with my Martin D-35 Retro with the Fishman Aura F1+ system. I normally plug it straight with a guitar cord into my Bose S1 Pro and get a great sound.

But this night I was in a bigger room and had a xlr handed to me that went into the mixing board far away, then to a PA.

I thought I would use my RNDI, phantom-powered DI but got a buzz issue. We then swapped it for a cheap phantom-powered DI that they had, and got the same buzzing issue.

I eventually went into my S1 pro on stage, at low volume, then line out to the board and the buzzing disappeared.

Is it likely that the issue comes from pairing the Aura F1+ with an active DI? Maybe it is better to use passive then? Or would it come from the phantom power quality?

Also, I noticed that when going into an active DI then into my Bose S1 Pro I get a thinner and more "pickup-sounding" sound vs going straight in. Unfortunately I don't have a passive DI to experiment with. That's why I'm left here wondering if it could be some kind of mismatch issue...

PS : I have RNDI, Orchid muting DI, Sunnaudio Stage DI
Old 09-24-2019, 04:31 PM

With active controls on the guitar, then a passive DI works best. There are eq dI's that have a ground lift that work with active controls on guitars. The Fishman Platinum Pro eq , the LR baggs Venue, and the Radial preamp are 3 examples.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:18 PM

First off, the buzz probably happened for one of two reasons:

1. If you were using anything AC-mains powered, you were plugged into a different AC circuit than the rest of the PA system. Or...

2. Phantom power was engaged on the channel your DI was plugged into, even though it didn't need to be.

The then-and-there fix is to use a passive DI with a transformer in it; it isolates you from the house, and the transformer won't pass DC (the phantom power). If you don't happen to have a passive DI handy, you need to get off the house mains and go battery or passive. And, of course, ask the FOH mixer if the phantom's on.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fishman f1 aura, stage direct box di