The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Lightbulb yet another internal mic

Disclaimer: this topic involves graphical description of things done to an acoustic guitar that some players might find disturbing and disagreeable. Read and comment at your own risk.

So I have this cedar on hog Furch Om and I put a K&K inside (had to drill a bigger hole) and a lid on the soundhole and also I hung a little AKG microphone by the first rib I mean brace, and I drilled another small hole under the first one. There I put a XLR micro port which is connected to the internal mic.

Everything works as intended, the soundhole cover is for the stage so I can crank the thing and the additional weight of a mic clamped with a large paper clamp actually dampens just the right portion of reverberations Furchs are known for. I play with a buddy who does strumming, I often play bass, fingerpick, flatpick leads and soloes. The mic, with bass rolled off, ads nice crispiness to the woody K&K sound. Best served with a set of 80/20 strings for extra spark.

I run it through Acus 6 combo, which has almost everything I need. Almost! It has phantom power (I use converter for the AKG mic), 3 channels (only need 2), very usable EQ on each, volume per channel (is a must) and a not-so usefull reverb.

It does not have an effect bloody loop! And I'd love to have better reverb and compressor for obvious reasons. I can't run the pickup signal through before combo, because the mic would be missing and I want to reverb the mids and highs of course.

I figured few options:

AER combo has effect loop but it is pricey

I could add phantom power supply for the mic and then run both signals through a s* load of pedals including two separate EQs, stereo volume pedal, blend and so on.

Grace Design Felix - is pricey and does not have an amp so I'd need a wedge monitor, but money aside (which I don't have since I'm building a house) I like this option the most.

something like Fishman amp, these have effect loops, but I fear the sound of said things.. affordable though.

small mixer/digital- idk, does not seem right. But maybe why not? I have an X Air 16 for parties and weddings.. that's the cheapest option on my list

So what do you guys think? Any thoughts welcome.

Furch G24SF
Furch D31SR
Furch Om22CM
Sire Marcus Miller M7 Bass

Last edited by Standicz; 09-23-2019 at 11:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification