The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-20-2019, 04:38 PM

Default ToneDexter Users -- How Would You Handle This Instrument?

I recently acquired a 12-string Veillette Journeyman like the one below for an acoustic duo I'm in. It has a killer piezo/mag dual-source pickup in it so I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to use my ToneDexter with it or not. I have other options (Baggs PADI, for example), but before I added more gear to the load out, I wanted to see if there are any suggestions on how to use the TD with an instrument like this one that has very little actual acoustic voice.

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 09-20-2019, 05:01 PM

Tonedexter is supposedly not compatible with magnetic pickups though people have reported getting them to work together. If I were you I would try putting your pickup all the way to the UST with no magnetic pickup and try creating a few wavemaps like that. I don't currently have any magnetic pickups as they're not my cup of tea but if I did I would certainly give them a go as well.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:10 PM

A smidge of Money for Nothing thrown in for good measure? Very nice ! There's lots of experimenting I have yet to do with my Tonedexter which includes making wavemaps on solid body instruments, such as my Gibson Chet Atkins CEC classical nylon string. I would probably first start off close miking the strings as they sound acoustic on the solid body. Then I'd want to try some wave maps from other instruments, perhaps a 12-string with a capo on the 8th fret or a mandolin or mandalo. I happen to have these instruments but you might also find some wavemaps that others have created. There is so much experimentation that could be done and probably time wasted, but it would be cool to train the TD by plucking or strumming the upper register strings on an opened piano.
PS: I have an acoustic baritone guitar designed by Veillette but sold under the name Avante. It has a very unique body style.

Last edited by Cellomangler; 09-20-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Tonedexter is supposedly not compatible with magnetic pickups...
On the other hand, in my FOH gig I've encountered several Tonedexter adopters who love it at home but can't make it do anything usable on a gig. Which doesn't mean they don't use it anyway. So I think we're in the early stages of discovery when it comes to that thing.

Couch Standards
Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
On the other hand, in my FOH gig I've encountered several Tonedexter adopters who love it at home but can't make it do anything usable on a gig. Which doesn't mean they don't use it anyway. So I think we're in the early stages of discovery when it comes to that thing.
Yeah that goes back to the theme of "what works for one may not work for someone else". There's too many variables at play when it comes to acoustic amplification.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll likely create a wave map with a closeup SM81, as has been suggested.

I can always dial out the wave map and use 100% pickup signal, right? I think rolling the Character knob to CH0 (fully counter-clockwise) does that. If so, I may go that route. The pickups sound great together, so very little needs to be done to the outputted signal.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 09-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Tweaking a parametric EQ to reduce the body and top resonances (both in the 100-200 Hz range) did the trick for me using Cuki79's custom IRs. But my ToneDexter live issues were I think the same problem.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-21-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
+1! Although, it takes away many of the disadvantages of using a microphone, the ToneDexter, like the Fishman Aura, still introduces some microphone-like feedback-prone issues into live sound. We can play louder than when using a microphone but these mic-like resonances can make themselves heard when a certain volume level is reached in the current venue.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-21-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Tonedexter is supposedly not compatible with magnetic pickups though people have reported getting them to work together. If I were you I would try putting your pickup all the way to the UST with no magnetic pickup and try creating a few wavemaps like that. I don't currently have any magnetic pickups as they're not my cup of tea but if I did I would certainly give them a go as well.
Very useful tip. That's where I would start at as well.

Magnetic: I have a factory installed Sunrise magnetic pickup in my Squareneck dobro and the Tonedexter wavemaps I created sound fine. Never tried a magnetic wavemap in a regular guitar , only SBT and UST, so I can't comment on this.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 PM

I equipped my autoharp with a $7 piezo contact mic on the back, then built a wave map. It sounds much better than the autoharp through a mic. Buy from a vendor with a return policy (Sweetwater now carries the ToneDexter) and give it a try.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-22-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
I can always dial out the wave map and use 100% pickup signal, right? I think rolling the Character knob to CH0 (fully counter-clockwise) does that. If so, I may go that route. The pickups sound great together, so very little needs to be done to the outputted signal.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that fully counter-clockwise still contains some Wavemap. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can post.

However, you could easily have one Wavemap slot that is empty and use that for bypass.
Or you can use the Bypass mode (press and hold Mute for a few seconds).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-23-2019, 07:50 AM

As far as I remember, only "bypassed" is complete free of wavemap content.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification