The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-13-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

It seems like your at the same place I was a couple years ago with your fascination with Pernambuco.

After considerable research and due diligence I asked Bruce to build with his best remaining set of P wood that he owned.

It turned out to be a great decision and a great experience with Bruce. The guitar came out way beyond my expectations and very, very high up in my collection.

You just can’t go wrong with Bruce if your seriously contemplating a build in Pernambuco (or any other wood). He has more experience with this tone wood than any luthier that I’m aware of and the voicing of his guitars is simply amazing. Best of luck on your search.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Smile Myrtle

All this talk of Myrtle has motivated me to ask John Kinnaird for another BIG Custom. I like the idea of a forgiving axe, as I make PLENTY of clams! Hahaha

Expect a build thread eventually...

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-13-2021, 05:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Is there another tonewood that comes close to Pernambuco in clarity and technique transparency?
Three tonewoods that come to mind are Padauk, Wenge and Osage Orange. All share similar exceptional clarity, note to note separation and high Q low damping characteristics similar to Pernambuco. Although pernambuco has just a hint of bass bias but that can be easily controlled by the back’s thickness and bracing.

Something else you may want to consider is a double top because it (can) yield the widest dynamic range if that is important to your unique playing style?
Old 03-13-2021, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Three tonewoods that come to mind are Padauk, Wenge and Osage Orange. All share similar exceptional clarity, note to note separation and high Q low damping characteristics similar to Pernambuco. Although pernambuco has just a hint of bass bias but that can be easily controlled by the back’s thickness and bracing.

Something else you may want to consider is a double top because it (can) yield the widest dynamic range if that is important to your unique playing style?
Thanks Tim. I auditoned a Padauk guitar yrs ago and was struck by the red of it. I can't remember the sound at this point.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I believe Padauk oxidizes and becomes less !RED! over time, but I totally get the first impression. Off-topic, but your comment reminded me of the 2nd date my wife and I ever went on - she wore bright purple pants that just interfered with my enjoying the evening, hehe. I got past it and 10 years later we are still together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop