The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-22-2021, 09:34 AM

Default A little help with a rosette?

My build slot is coming up with Edwinson and I have to decide on a rosette. I tend to like more simple, streamlined ascetics. I know all about neck, nut, string spacing, fret wire, etc. I'm really drawing a blank on some of the ascetic choices though. Care to share some rosettes you like? Just looking for a little inspiration if you have the time. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 AM
Musical minimalist

Several pages of them from the Mcknight site that may help...

https://mcknightguitars.com/more-info/options/rosettes/

Old 02-22-2021, 10:04 AM

Hi JK,

I'd be likely to go with Steve's suggestions as the builder. He generally builds with many interesting design elements that he would best know how to compliment.

But just for my two cents: Like you, I generally favor simplicity and letting the natural beauty of the wood speak. That said I like a little "bling" for the rosette ... something that offers some contrast to the rest of the guitar. Spalted maple is one of my favorites. As I'm sure you are aware rosettes serve two purposes: one to reinforce top where the sound hole has been cut out to prevent splits etc, and second to showcase the builders skills and design. This is off course a carry over from classic instrument building where instruments might otherwise look the same as all others, save for the rosette design.

Here's one used on a double top I built a while back. I love the notion that something once diseased and dying is now "resurrected" and displayed front and center in the "place of honor" Best wishes for your decision.

John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 02-22-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Check luthier websites..

...some do have dedicated rosette portfolios (i.e. Kinnaird, Bashkin..) , others like Mark Hatcher and Mr. Sherrif himself have flickr pages to scroll through....
Endless possibilities....
A possible thing to consider is to match the rosette motif with i.e. purfling, headstock..... and to pick the luthiers ideas & thoughts...
Old 02-22-2021, 10:38 AM

"Cross Grain" is always nice. Here's the combo of rosette and purfling (Cocobolo) mentioned in the previous thread.
[IMG][/IMG]
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop