The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-03-2016, 02:31 PM

Default Newer and/or lesser-known Martin-style builders?

Curious if anyone has heard or played anything a bit off the beaten path recently that would be considered a traditional Martin-style build. I like seeing all the different homages to classic guitars -- even when the differences are very small, it's interesting to see builders' interpretations.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:44 PM

Hey, ataylor--Yes, I can recommend a few luthiers for you to check out. I have two OOOO guitars from Pat Foster, just amazing tone and construction; he's making more-or-less Martin-style instruments in the Spokane, Washington area. Jim Worland is another guy; he's been around quite some time and is a bit under the radar, but his guitars have a definite Martin vibe to them, also beautiful fit and finish. I have two OMs from him, which I like very much, very old-school guitars as one would say. In the more main stream Martin-style luthiers, I would put John Slobad of Circa Guitars, Jimmy Caldwell, Bruce Sexauer, Dana Bourgeois, Bill Collings, Huss and Dalton, and Santa Cruz, although most of these luthiers/shops have several instruments that aren't what one would call strictly Martin-like guitars. I'm sure I've neglected several promising luthiers here, but this is what comes to mind right now.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Hey, ataylor--Yes, I can recommend a few luthiers for you to check out. I have two OOOO guitars from Pat Foster, just amazing tone and construction; he's making more-or-less Martin-style instruments in the Spokane, Washington area. Jim Worland is another guy; he's been around quite some time and is a bit under the radar, but his guitars have a definite Martin vibe to them, also beautiful fit and finish. I have two OMs from him, which I like very much, very old-school guitars as one would say. In the more main stream Martin-style luthiers, I would put John Slobad of Circa Guitars, Jimmy Caldwell, Bruce Sexauer, Dana Bourgeois, Bill Collings, Huss and Dalton, and Santa Cruz, although most of these luthiers/shops have several instruments that aren't what one would call strictly Martin-like guitars. I'm sure I've neglected several promising luthiers here, but this is what comes to mind right now.
Thanks! I will check out Pat Foster's work. I have come across Worland before and thought his super-simple base model -- I believe it was called a Prairie OM -- was cool, seemed similar in approach to the Martin 15 series or the Santa Cruz 1929 models.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:52 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Larry Nair, Tahoe Guitar Co.

Sample:

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 04-03-2016, 05:20 PM

Mr. Howard Klepper has converted a few old Martins and posted the threads if you want to look them up. Basically salvaging what can be saved ie. mostly the BRW back and sides, redoing what needs doing, usually new tops and often necks, but in the end you have a "brand new old Martin". I hope I explained that correctly Mr. Klepper.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:25 PM

Bill Meyer. Jack Straw Guitars ( www.jackstrawguitars.com ). Impeccable Martin and some Gibson builds. He don't do "frills" (soundports, bevels...), but BOY HOWDY does he build the classics!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Curious if anyone has heard or played anything a bit off the beaten path recently that would be considered a traditional Martin-style build. I like seeing all the different homages to classic guitars -- even when the differences are very small, it's interesting to see builders' interpretations.
What do you mean "off the beaten path"? I think of that expression as meaning "isolated place" or "unusual experience". Before I answer, please clarify what you mean. Also how exacting are you to historic Martin designs are you looking for?
Old 04-03-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Larry Nair, Tahoe Guitar Co.
Very nice. I'll have to check his work out. Thanks for posting the example

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Mr. Howard Klepper has converted a few old Martins and posted the threads if you want to look them up. Basically salvaging what can be saved ie. mostly the BRW back and sides, redoing what needs doing, usually new tops and often necks, but in the end you have a "brand new old Martin". I hope I explained that correctly Mr. Klepper.
I've seen several really nice Gibson-inspired guitars of his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Bill Meyer. Jack Straw Guitars ( www.jackstrawguitars.com ). Impeccable Martin and some Gibson builds. He don't do "frills" (soundports, bevels...), but BOY HOWDY does he build the classics!
Cool, thanks for the link! I'm not one for frills -- classic sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
What do you mean "off the beaten path"? I think of that expression as meaning "isolated place" or "unusual experience". Before I answer, please clarify what you mean. Also how exacting are you to historic Martin designs are you looking for?
By that I mean not the names that typically pop up for Martin homages. I'd be interested to learn more about newer, younger builders still building a reputation and developing a niche, as well as builders that have been around a while but just haven't caught on to the point where they're charging a lot and/or putting people on long waiting lists.

As far as exactness related to historic designs, I'm interested in finding some names of builders who are building simple guitars inspired by the "golden era" Martins. I'm not averse to tweaks like bolt-on necks, drop-in saddles, adjustable truss rods, and the like, but I'm interested in builders with an overall traditional look and sound.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

OK, I think that I understand. Is there a particular size or style that interests you? Not every builder has the same experience with every size/style.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
OK, I think that I understand. Is there a particular size or style that interests you? Not every builder has the same experience with every size/style.
Right now I'm just exploring and admiring the art and craft more than anything, making a mental list of builders to keep an eye on. In terms of my personal preference, I tend to gravitate towards dreadnoughts, though I should think about getting an OM or a 00 at some point.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:43 PM

Default Jason Bowerman

Jayson Bowerman, builds incredible "Martin" style guitars. If you want a better "Martin" than a "Martin" call Jayson. He is very very good. I great "One Man Shop". He prototyped all the Revival Series for Breedlove when he was there. On his own he has continued to refine the x-braced Martin tradition.

I have referred many people to him and all have been thrilled. A couple people from this board have ordered his guitars...some more than 1.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
By that I mean not the names that typically pop up for Martin homages. I'd be interested to learn more about newer, younger builders still building a reputation and developing a niche, as well as builders that have been around a while but just haven't caught on to the point where they're charging a lot and/or putting people on long waiting lists.

As far as exactness related to historic designs, I'm interested in finding some names of builders who are building simple guitars inspired by the "golden era" Martins. I'm not averse to tweaks like bolt-on necks, drop-in saddles, adjustable truss rods, and the like, but I'm interested in builders with an overall traditional look and sound.
With those parameters, I think John Allison deserves a mention. He can get a little fancy with his bursts (he was the main sunburst painter for Collings for many years), but generally he sticks to a traditional look and sound. I think he builds a fine guitar and his prices are not sky high.

http://www.allisonguitars.com/

Mine (on the right):
Old 04-08-2016, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Default I'm one of them,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Jayson Bowerman, builds incredible "Martin" style guitars. If you want a better "Martin" than a "Martin" call Jayson. He is very very good. I great "One Man Shop". He prototyped all the Revival Series for Breedlove when he was there. On his own he has continued to refine the x-braced Martin tradition.

I have referred many people to him and all have been thrilled. A couple people from this board have ordered his guitars...some more than 1.
Jayson is remarkable

Old 04-09-2016, 01:54 AM

Becoming much more known but awesome "Martin" types and still really affordable is Jimmy Edmonds. One can get an OM-28 built for about $3400.........Yet another one of those Vrginia boys that are tearing it up imho.

Last edited by okeem22; 04-09-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 AM

Jack Straw's guitars look good, He is in Arizona?, Thought He was from Wichita. Seriously, good looking guitars.

Snark Tuner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop