The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-06-2014, 05:06 AM

Default Sorting my new [second hand] Ibanez Artcore

I've been looking for an archtop for some time to play some jazz and blues, and I picked up the Ibanez on EBay. In good condition for it's age, though there's some work to do to get it to sound and play as well as it's capable from what I know about archtops, [which isn't that much].
I bought a set of Thomasik-Enfield Jazz flat wound 12's, for a start and I want to get new pickup covers to replace the somewhat corroded originals. I'm not even sure I know how well the pickups are working either? Might have to replace them?? I really need a new amp too to sort it out.......and so on and on it goes.
All good fun though, and I'd welcome any advice from the forum on setting it up.
Tnx in advance,
Bern
Old 09-06-2014, 06:30 AM

Set up should be no different from an acoustic, and if it has a Tune-o-matic bridge as most Artcore's do, setting the action and intonation is simplicity itself.
The bridge will be floating so change the strings one at a time once you've positioned it correctly.
The Artcore series is good, and the jazzers seem only to vary in cosmetic appointments and pickups from the lower priced '55s' upwards. Build quality and playability really doesn't change according to cost. I found the necks to be especially comfortable.
I've had my eye on an AF75 for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urR2xnvRSzI
Old 09-06-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernyl View Post
...I bought a set of Thomasik-Infeld Jazz flat wound 12's, for a start and I want to get new pickup covers to replace the somewhat corroded originals. I'm not even sure I know how well the pickups are working either? Might have to replace them?? I really need a new amp too, to sort it out...and so on and on it goes....All good fun though, and I'd welcome any advice from the forum on setting it up...
In order:

1] Flats and archtops go together like Scotch and beer - good choice, and if you've never played an archtop before 12's are an excellent starting point (I wouldn't go any lighter on a full hollow-body)...

2] Do you mean corroded or simply tarnished - big difference. You shouldn't have corroded pickup covers on a relatively new instrument unless it's been flood-damaged (in which case there'd be visible evidence elsewhere on/inside the guitar) or someone spilled a liquid powerful enough to pit/green the covers (for which there'd also be other evidence); since I'm 99% sure it's tarnishing and nothing more, I'd recommend using some of that WWII military-style impregnated cotton wadding (sold under the name Nevr-Dull here in the States) that a lot of older banjo players use to clean/polish the nickel parts on their instruments - stinks like crazy but works well, and you definitely don't want to use liquid polish anywhere it might come into contact with either electronics or wood finish...

3] If you're shopping for a new amp, most stores will let you bring in your own guitar to audition their stock - a perfect opportunity to check out all functions (knobs/switch/pickups/output jack) as well. FWIW Ibanez pickups are generally quite serviceable, so unless you've got a finely-honed signature sound/technique I'd leave things as is; absent any electronic defects, hold the tinkering until you know your way around your instrument/amp combination and have a better idea of what you want from each, both individually and together...

Good luck...
Old 09-07-2014, 05:52 AM

Thanks guys, all good info to get me started. I can't wait to see just how much fun there is in this new instrument. Aint music fun :-)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM

I a (fairly) recent Ibanez Artcore buyer. This is an AF105 I picked up from GC Used Online. Very nice guitar ... heavy ... but very nice!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 PM

Default I have an AF200 and I love it.

I am in the position of not being able to spend big bucks any more. Retirement and a fixed income keep me from doing that. I did, however purchase a new AF 200. It is Japanese made and I am blown away with the build quality and the tone. It took a while for it to "settle in" and make up its mind how to sound for my style of playing, and I also did have to get a new amp. I was playing thru my Fishman LoudBox and it just wasn't doing it for me. Soooo, After much research and acid indigestion, I bought a Fender Super Sonic 22. It also took a while for me to figure out how to get a good jazz sound. I was ready to return it, but thought I'd give it another week. I still have it, it is wonderful and I will keep it. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The AF200 is a pretty classy Ibanez from the Prestige Series. Ooo lah lah. Laminated Spruce w/Maple back and sides.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]
Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 AM

continuing on..... the longer I play the Ibanez, the more I like it. I has it's idiosyncrasies, but don't they all. It needs a setup [a little buzzing on two strings] but that can wait till I get to know the instrument better. I still haven't put the flats on which may make a difference. Not sure if I'll do the setup myself as I'd like to give it to an 'expert' if I can find one in our new area havening recently relocated. I found a s/h. Marshall MD100 DFX which has a clean mode [and a bunch of other stuff if I get the urge] and I really love this bit of gear as well. Aint music fun!!!! ;-)
Old 09-25-2014, 05:05 AM

Default New Ibanez

Looks beautiful. The flats will warm it up substantially. I have Thomastick flats on my AF 200. You also might want to try an ebony bridge. Stew Mac is a possible source.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]
Old 09-25-2014, 09:31 AM

StewMac bridges are the bomb - I've used them on every archtop I've owned since 1982 and I can't think of a better upgrade; although you most likely won't need to have the base fitted to the top (I'd still like to know how these guys do it), you will need to notch the bridge for correct string spacing (if you're handy and have a good eye you can do this yourself, using the old bridge as a guide). FYI they come in several different varieties, all around $20; if you're searching for your signature tone, other than a string swap I can't think of an easier (and easily reversible) way to experiment - and it's a great way to learn how archtops function...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops