The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Austin Set-up

Anyone have a recommendation for a luthier/guitar tech to do a set/up in Austin,TX?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:18 PM

Dick Dubois
Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Danny Shoemaker with Straight Frets Guitar Service. A++
Old 02-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Guest 728

Danny Shoemaker is great, as is Andrew at South Austin Guitar Repair (which is actually in north Austin) -- (512) 590-1225. Mark Erlewine @ Erlewine Guitars has been in business for years, and is very good -- (512) 302-1225. I had my Guild set up at Guitar Resurrection several years ago with good results -- (512) 478-0095 , and the guy at Strait Music South is a very capable set-up guy -- (512) 476-6927. We have an embarrassment of riches around here!

Last edited by Guest 728; 02-07-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:22 PM

I second Strait Music. Their employee retention is high and it shows...from sales to set-up and repair.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 PM

I recently had a cracked nut replaced and a set up on my bass at Strait Music and they did a great job. I have had Mark Earliwine set up many of my acoustic guitars and he is a master. Both places seem to have a relatively long waiting line, but would you want to take your instruments to a place with no business?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyoung View Post
I recently had a cracked nut replaced and a set up on my bass at Strait Music and they did a great job. I have had Mark Earliwine set up many of my acoustic guitars and he is a master. Both places seem to have a relatively long waiting line, but would you want to take your instruments to a place with no business?
I wanted to have Mark Earliwine work on an old guitar of mine that I always felt needed a more professional treatment back in the day. Problem is, he was an elusive guy when I tried to contact him, and he said he was no longer taking repairs from new customers at the time. It was odd, but considering his demand among professionals, I don't blame him for trying to maintain a semblance of spare time. Fortunately for me, I managed to befriend a couple people at Collings who have saved my *** on a couple jobs that I was worried would be botched by inexperienced hands. I can't remember who it was, but I remember when I first moved here, I had a guy do a repair on a neck that got nicked and had some minor splintering, and the final result was so sub-par I eventually sold the guitar because I hated even being reminded of that whole ordeal.

I had a good amount of luck at Straight Frets recently when my Tele needed the works (new nut, action adjustment, fret level, etc), but I had another guitar that needed heavier work and he didn't seem keen to risk it with that one.

I've noticed that a lot of techs around here have a strong preference regarding the type of work they do; most prefer electric guitars that stick to the typical demands listed on their services and prices list. For acoustic guitars, however, it can be tricky to find a proper professional tech with the training and tools available to to do more complicated work, especially considering how much room for error there is. I know I've had friends who have had bad experienced with techs when it came down to anything involving steaming. I'm fortunate to have a few connections, but I'm always cautious not to run to them for every little issue and wear out my welcome.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Dick Dubois has been recommended to me more than anywhere/anyone in Austin, though I’ve never worked with him. I’ve had great work done at South Austin Guitar, and Straight Music ... whichever Straight shop you go to they send it to South shop, and though I’ve never talked in person because of this, they’re on the phone with me to check every detail. However, I usually go to Fiddler’s Green on West 35th .... they’ve had 2 guys over last 5+ years, and I thought the first guys was the best I’d ever used ... but the newer guy turned out to be just as awesome and he’s in the job live more. Cool shop, though guitars are just part of their gig.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 02-10-2019, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

Plus 1 for both Fiddlers Green and Strait Music, I’ve had work done at both very recently and they were excellent.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-10-2019, 06:39 AM

I decided to use Strait. There was about a two week wait. They are who I know the best although I have never had a repair there.

I used Dick Dubois a couple of years ago. He did a great job but is about a hour away. Had a pretty long wait list. I also used Erlewine to install a pick-up shortly after we moved to Austin. I brought a set of strings, figured he would have to remove the old ones and would be easier to just install new. The charge for the installation was ok, but he charged me another 25 bucks to install my strings.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I decided to use Strait. There was about a two week wait. They are who I know the best although I have never had a repair there.

I used Dick Dubois a couple of years ago. He did a great job but is about a hour away. Had a pretty long wait list. I also used Erlewine to install a pick-up shortly after we moved to Austin. I brought a set of strings, figured he would have to remove the old ones and would be easier to just install new. The charge for the installation was ok, but he charged me another 25 bucks to install my strings.
Sorry to hear about the waiting period but Austin area tech's tend to stay up to their necks in work. Please keep us posted on the outcome at Strait. Over the years I've sort of forced myself into doing most basic tasks...setups, string changes, basic fret-work, intonation, saddle and nut work, etc. because my long-time guy is no longer taking guitars. I play both electric and acoustic and can't keep up with my maintenance/repair needs. I'd love to establish another long-term relationship with a tech in the Austin area. The right person doesn't necessarily need to be their staff luthier. I live an hour south of Austin and Strait is the best-closest shop to where I live. Thanks and good luck!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manothemtns View Post
Sorry to hear about the waiting period but Austin area tech's tend to stay up to their necks in work. Please keep us posted on the outcome at Strait. Over the years I've sort of forced myself into doing most basic tasks...setups, string changes, basic fret-work, intonation, saddle and nut work, etc. because my long-time guy is no longer taking guitars. I play both electric and acoustic and can't keep up with my maintenance/repair needs. I'd love to establish another long-term relationship with a tech in the Austin area. The right person doesn't necessarily need to be their staff luthier. I live an hour south of Austin and Strait is the best-closest shop to where I live. Thanks and good luck!
BTW, I'm quite surprised Strait billed you for string installation as a separate line item for a set-up. Could it be that they just break the setup down like that, by category, as opposed to an actual separate charge?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:32 PM

In my case, if I remember correctly, I think that he told me that it would be $75 for the set-up and $7.50 for strings (not sure if that is for the strings themselves or installation, but I wanted to try a set of Santa Cruz mids on it so am bringing them along).
Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
In my case, if I remember correctly, I think that he told me that it would be $75 for the set-up and $7.50 for strings (not sure if that is for the strings themselves or installation, but I wanted to try a set of Santa Cruz mids on it so am bringing them along).
Thanks for clarifying. Good luck...enjoy.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Took my guitar to Strait for the set-up this morning. He did a fine job. I had an appointment and he did it while I waited so no return trip. Plus, they had just received a Taylor Grand Pacific builders edition for the Taylor booth at SXSW so I got to play that and a Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe while I waited.

Last edited by Jeff Mc; 02-21-2019 at 09:04 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion