The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM

Default Keeping my guitar on a stand or in the case

I have just bought a new Yamaha LJ16 and I'm very happy with it. It's my first guitar and given my usual learning curve with other "pursuits", it will take me around 10 years to master even basic chords! The finish is beautiful, with its Engelmann spruce top looking all pale, contrasting with the (stained?) rosewood back and sides.
My question relates to storage around the house. I bought a stand for the guitar, assuming that this is what most people use. I won't be taking the guitar outside the house. However, having read some posts on this forum, it appears that quite a lot of people keep their guitars in a case at all times when not in use. I also am not sure that my original position for the stand is so wise (next to a south facing patio window in our 2nd reception room). The other choice for position is in my bedroom, which the bread-knife isn't really happy with (she wasn't exactly ecstatic with me buying the Yammy in the first place!)
The guitar came with a form case and the thing with this is that it has a zip, not catches and I would get hacked off having to unzip it all the time, plus it looks pretty ugly.
I'm not worried about the wood colouring in sunlight (although an uneven coloration across the front caused by sunlight would not be good!) but drying out/splitting wood is a concern. Btw, I live in the temperate UK (Southeast) but as stated earlier, my original position choice is next to a south-facing patio door. Should I be worried?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Default stand or case

hi

i keep my guitars on a stand in my guitar room when i am playing them, but when i am not playing them for a while, they go in the case.
why? if the guitar is in an open area, people coming by can damage
your guitar by knocking it off the stand or running into it, like my wife
with her vacuum cleaner.

if you have a dedicated room for your guitars, you probably can keep them
on the stands provided that you are reasonably careful, but if they are in
a common area, possibly anything bad can happen, and it usually does

just my opinion
z
2012 Taylor 814CE TB
2010 Martin D-18GE sunburst
2004 Martin 000-28EC
2005 Fender Telecaster Am Std
1963 Goya G-10
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM

In the case when not being played is the safest bet.

Aside from UV effects on the finish, humidity and temperature extremes are tempered by the case. Even if you don't zip it closed, it helps...
Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Default Stand

I keep my guitar on the stand and/or next to where I'm sitting. Currently I'm in my study at home. My Laguna travel guitar is leaning again the couch I'm on...within arm's reach.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
In the case when not being played is the safest bet.

Aside from UV effects on the finish, humidity and temperature extremes are tempered by the case. Even if you don't zip it closed, it helps...
I didn't mention this in my post but keeping it in the case but unzipped had gone through my thoughts and would be a good compromise maybe.... 'just a shame it looks so butt ugly
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM

I have a case...but mine stays in the living room in a stand...all the time....i pick it up and pluck it all the time...the case has never been used since i bought it.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

If it is out, you'll play it, and that's how you'll get better. Best is out of direct sunlight, and with a sound-hole humidifier, but I like the idea of keeping my guitar within relatively easy reach.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
If it is out, you'll play it, and that's how you'll get better. Best is out of direct sunlight, and with a sound-hole humidifier, but I like the idea of keeping my guitar within relatively easy reach.
+1 on that thought.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM

You'll find other threads on the forum dealing with this issue. Tends to fall into two camps. There is no right or wrong answer. On the one hand, leave it out and it is there for you to play. Easy access = more playing. However, if, as has been pointed out, dents, humidity or sunlight is an issue, put it away in its case. You might want to consider buying a hardcase, hygrometer and humidifier. Ideal humidity is between 40-55, with 47 considered ideal. Are there dogs, cats, kids in the house? Are you precious about the guitar or willing to take a calculated risk? Hope this helps and keep practising!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Mine stay in their cases.
It takes all of 30 seconds to get the guitar out of the case.
Not bad for the protection that the case offers.

There are just too many things that can and do happen to guitars that are left out on stands, for me to take the chance.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Default Easy Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
My keepers stay in their cases until dedicated playing time but I always keep one of my other guitars on a chair in my living room for this exact reason. I rotate the "couch" guitar out every week so I can put it back in it's case and put it's Oasis humidifier back in it.

I don't know what I will do when "someone" makes me sell some of my gits.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM

In my opinion, the biggest mistake a beginner can make is to leave the guitar in its case, in some cases even under the bed. It's a pita to go get it when an idea or spare moment hits you. I have five wall hangers in various rooms in the house all containing a guitar from 00-size to dreadnoughts. I keep them out of direct sunlight, clean, and use flexible snake humidifiers in them from fall to spring. Big old Rottweiler mix with a humongous wagging tail prevents me from using a stand. Since I've made them so easy to grab, I have found my playing time per day has increased 500%. My only problem is convincing my wife that they are works of art rather than just some stupid guitar taking up wall space.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Dear Mr Op, I also live in the termperate South east of the UK. however in winter with CH and double glazing humidity can drop quite a bit. (I've never had a problem).

Whilst I agree that if it is away in its case it will be played less, leaving it for loing periods in a sunny place WILL affect the colour - I know this from personal experience as I had a hand made rosewood guitar (ordered and bought fro me by my wife) on a stand in my lounge for a long time and the top darkened (fine) and the side nearest the sunshine lightened noticeably.

With greatest respect the LL11 isn't a very expensive guitar and you won't get much when/if trading up so I'd keep it out and risk it - and play as much as possible.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Default Never ever leave a guitar lying around

If you leave a guitar lying around, it will get knocked over or stepped on. It's not a matter of if, but when.

At home, when I'm not playing a guitar, it goes back in the case. I can't tell you how many guitars I've seen get knocked over or stepped on over the years.

I know people who hang their guitars on the wall, but that provides no humidity control and the strings oxidize quickly.

When performing live, a stand works, but I've also seen drunks and gusts of wind knock guitars off stands. Filling the stand with sand or bird shot and weighting the base helps.

May your neck stay straight and your intonation true!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM

There are three things that affect an acoustic guitar. Humidity, humidity, and humidity. 45 to 50% is ideal. Flirt with percentages much above or below those ranges and you are flirting with guitar failure. A digital hygrometer bought anywhere, and placed in the room, will be all you need to tell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion