The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Default RainSong CO Dread Vr. Emerald X30 Vr. Sable

A Rainsong CO Dreadnaught ( I think the way they lay the Carbon on the top really give it a good sound, I like My Shorty SS CO). The sound is familiar and a good DN tone. The price is nice but the electronics and tuners and fit and finish are sub par IMHO

The Emerald is just exotic and in every video I hear they sound different seeing that they all have alternative tunings (except for the one put out by Emerald that was not mixed well for it sounds boomy and harsh at the same time.... too much compression..pic sounded like to heavy Credit card). I just can't get my head around what it sounds like. The Fit and finish look excellent... I think they are Gorgeous.. but the price is higher.

The Sable just looks and sounds bad while being more expensive. I like the v neck though.

How do you make these choices for I am kinda lost.

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat

Last edited by revj; 02-20-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM

What other Carbon tone do you prefer better?

The unidirectional carbon of the RainSong really seems to have some life too it while the all the weaved Carbon seems dead... But I really don't like RainSong's style which is difficult for me. Maybe I should reach out to them if they could do some kind of Custom style choices.

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Outdoor tenor Uke
Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 PM

It will get resent back here...if it helps I like all my CFs and one Ekoa ...I have all the models McPherson makes, all both of them and like them a lot... like my RainSongs and Journey and my Emeralds too and yes my CAs .. hope not too biased here.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-10-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM

Kramster: that is one collection of CF Guitars. Tell me about your experience with Padauk X30 compared to your X20? You have the unidirectional On The CH Rainsong. Compare the Rainsong WS with the X20?

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Outdoor tenor Uke
Old 02-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revj View Post
Kramster: that is one collection of CF Guitars. Tell me about your experience with Padauk X30 compared to your X20? You have the unidirectional On The CH Rainsong. Compare the Rainsong WS with the X20?
I currently own neither, but have played them both side to side. The CH-WS is much brighter than the X20. The X20 is more comfortable to sit with and stand with - the much-touted curves and angles work well, and it is not neck-heavy like most acoustics (CH-WS included). The X20 has a lot more frets, which may or may not matter to you. The CH-WS will be slightly bigger sounding than your shorty, but the character of the tone is quite similar.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Now if you'll excuse me, I got to go get ready for the 30 inches of snow we are supposed to get the next couple days !!
Yikes...missed that report..though was some frost last couple AMs. Didn't bother my CFGs at all.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revj View Post
They are all different enough that you have to have them all...hope this helps...a few comments above describe things well enough... I am a piano player so don't know so much about guitars, just like them being more portable then say a ... oh I don't know...a baby grand maybe... and handy to play anywhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber