The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Interesting thread idea.

I have a baby due sometime in the next 6-8 weeks, so I’m pursuing job opportunities in my field that are much closer to home than my 42 mile each way commute right now.
That's exciting news, Russ. Good luck with the job hunt. Do you think you'll find something closer in the same salary bracket or will you need to take a hit?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:07 AM

I had lost 60lbs over the past year and a half... Exercise & diet are the key to losing it.

Put on about 5lb recently due to holiday foods and bad weather preventing me from exercising as much as I should.

I cut down on the bread & starch type carb's but didn't completely eliminate them. No more pizza or pasta. 100% whole wheat bread for my lunch sandwiches.

Drink 24 oz of water right after I get up in the morning. 2 mugs of coffee a day with reduced sugar and milk added. I have several 16oz glasses of water during the day, at least 1 with dinner and 16 oz before bedtime.

I allow myself 1 soda a week & a max of 3 beers per week.

Pay attention to the salt content in everything you eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Biggest thing I have going is my weight loss attempt. I'm down 21.5, about 20 more to go (at least). I'm coming up on 64 next month and I don't need to be carrying around 40 pounds that I don't need.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I am also in the planning for retirement phase. Probably 2 years away. Working on doing a few key things in my house that I can pay off while I am still working.
And looking at my health as well with upping my commitment to better diet and more exercise.
I want to be healthy and prosperous enough to enjoy my retirement. I feel as though I have worked hard to get to where I am so do not want to take either my health or good fortune for granted.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-16-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Interesting thread idea.

I have a baby due sometime in the next 6-8 weeks, so I’m pursuing job opportunities in my field that are much closer to home than my 42 mile each way commute right now.

I will hold a good thought for you getting a job closer to home. I love my job but my commute has gotten out of control. It can take a toll after a while.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
My heart goes out to you and I hope the very best to you and your SO.
Thanks for the nice words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That's exciting news, Russ. Good luck with the job hunt. Do you think you'll find something closer in the same salary bracket or will you need to take a hit?
Thanks Drew! I’m still really excited and super nervous at the same time. I’m in education and live in a metro area, so the pay actually is actualky little better here. I live here because my wife has a really good job and does much better than me pay wise. I really enjoy the kids and people I work with at the rural school I’ve been at the last 5 years, but the less I’ll spend in gas and wear and tear will help with my salary as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I will hold a good thought for you getting a job closer to home. I love my job but my commute has gotten out of control. It can take a toll after a while.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks so much Jayne! Although I really like where I work, I live in a much better area for my wife and I and driving 85 miles a day 5 times a weeks for 5 years has gotten really old really fast. I definitely know how you feel.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
We made our big decisions last July. When we finally got on offer on our old place in Wyoming.
Then in a whirlwind 3 months we made an offer on our new place in Wyoming , which was accepted , put our Colorado place on the market , accepted an offer 4 days after listing it.

Then proceeded to have to move everything out of both old places and into the new Wyoming place . Now we have settled down to a dull roar of learning this new place and everything involved in plowing and blowing 3/4 of a mile of private road out to the Highway
Wow, that is a flurry of activity!
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Finally retired and sold a rental in SoCal and exchanged it for a cool place in the forest overlooking Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho....

Awesome place!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Quitting Drinking. Been doing it for quite a while, nightly, a lot . I'm 62, but man I keep backing out.
I got 3 bottles of hard liquor for Christmas from 3 different people. First thing I thought was, wow, if that's people's impression of me I'd better set them straight. My next take was, hey, maybe that's a message.

Now my feet aren't swollen in the morning, I've lost a little weight, and I wake up feeling like I've actually slept. It's better.

Couch Standards
Old 02-16-2019, 12:17 PM

yea, turning 70 has made me think about a lot of things for my future. also, my wife has had some major medical problems that we've had to deal with. so, i guess the main topic would be mortality.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-16-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I got 3 bottles of hard liquor for Christmas from 3 different people. First thing I thought was, wow, if that's people's impression of me I'd better set them straight. My next take was, hey, maybe that's a message.

Now my feet aren't swollen in the morning, I've lost a little weight, and I wake up feeling like I've actually slept. It's better.
Wow. Same gifts for me during the holidays. I love the message you got from that. My take also. And yes mornings are a tough one.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:54 AM

Default What Life Decision are you thinking about right now?

Yes just turned 61 and retired eight years ago to look after my wife . Now I don't gig anymore ( after 36 years of it ) but I play every week leading our local worship music in two churches . Best fun I've had for years , good to give the big man something back
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 02-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Dru.....wondering if I can handle an older daughter returning to the fold after a bad "break-up".....I might be coming out to bunk with you
There's plenty of room, JPD. We'll have to get the NHL channel and crank my Marshalls all the way to 0.5.

Seriously, I hope that things go well with your daughter. Is she moving in?
Old 02-17-2019, 11:49 PM

I’m turning 50 this year but not after my wife and I celebrate 20 years together. My youngest will also be turning 12 soon and has straight A’s but he’s also riddled with ADHD and wants his own cell phone and email/social media accounts. As parents go, we’re behind the times. All his peers’ parents seem very lax in comparison.

My mom turns 80 next year and is trying to get into a retirement home on social security and my late father’s pension. She’s still in control of her faculties but she’s lived alone for so long that she can be abrasive and gets easily offended if I dispute her on anything. She will likely end up in a HUD subsidized home.

My oldest son turns 15 soon and is severely autistic/cognitively disabled and bipolar and we have some hard decisions to make regarding his long term living arrangements as well. He’s been institutionalized for some time now and I fear that he may have trouble reintegrating into society, much less our family - many of whom have written him off. When he comes of age I fear that SSI will not be enough. We need to dump his college savings into an ABLE account.

As for me, I’m trying my best to pull myself out of depression. I’ve been talking to a therapist for the past two years and I’ve been looking for the silver lining in all of this.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:59 PM

Aw, Neil, you have had your hands full for years. This sounds profoundly traumatic. I hope you have a few friends as well as family to keep you upright through these trials.

One kind member reached out to me through a PM and shared his hope for the future. It really made me think that sometimes we cling to the hope that others have when we ourselves are hanging by a thread. It felt good to hear his trust in the meaning of life and helped me connect to my own.

Thank you for sharing a bit of your life right now. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts. I will pray for your own heartfelt peace and breathing room.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 02-20-2019, 07:17 AM

I’m thinking about the right way to congratulate my twins without setting wrong expectations.

A funny back story is my wife was looking at reasons to be on the kids for basic around the house stuff, logged into the school portal, and saw the younger two are holding 4.0 as their sister has all through school.

As freshman I know they have a few years ahead where they might not be able to hold that. I don’t want them to have unrealistic expectations and also don’t want it to go to their heads. We’ve been anti-helicopter parents and I think that’s been working out very well. My hope is just having them aware of what’s worked well for others is the way to go.

Part of the challenge with the twins is they are so different from each other yet same age, at times in same classes, and judged by same peers and teachers.

What’s interesting about the topic is there are highs and lows in life. Recent years have had some truly bad things occur and for the most part I’ve just been happy that right now seems closer to peak vs a gulley.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic