The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-02-2016, 06:11 PM

Default Gibson J 50 neck issue

I have a 50 year old J 50. I noticed lately the neck has lost all relief. It has been fine all these years. The neck angle is fine. Never had and does not need a re-set. The problem has developed recently that when played hard there is fret buzz. I looked at the truss rod and it has no tension on it. So the question is how to allow some relief in the neck. Strange problem....usually the problem is the opposite on an old guitar. I have kept it tuned at one step behind to prevent possible problems with the neck so now I tuned it to full pitch. I have medium strings on it.. I could go to heavy. Any other ideas? thanks. Jeff B
Old 10-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Can you post a picture with a straight edge on the neck? Has the humidity been high in your area?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM

Tuning it one step low could have caused it. If tuning up to pitch with the truss rod loose does not help, you can always heat press it.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:08 AM

I wouldn't go any heavier than medium gauge (13-56) strings if you're tuning to standard pitch.

As John mentioned, heat-pressing the neck is an option, but most 60's Gibsons that still have their original fret jobs aren't great players anyways. Even if the frets aren't terribly worn, the fingerboards are usually pretty wonky. Now may be a good time to find a skilled luthier to level the board and refret it.

I should stress that you should find a skilled luthier, because (at least in my region) many of the folks in the repair business are unskilled. But if you find the right luthier, he (or she) can turn it into the best playing guitar you've ever had.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM

Default J 50 neck issue

Thanks for all the replies. I have several guitars and only the J 50 seems to have developed this issue. The summer here in Ohio has been very humid and warm so I think I am going to see what happens over the next few months as it gets so dry I have to use a humidifier due to the furnace heat. Maybe for some reason the Gibson was especially sensitive to the high humidity. Jeff B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair