The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Reshape a neck?

Has anyone ever have a neck that is too thick and had it sanded down to your liking? Not that I would do it. Would A qualified luthier be okay doing that?
Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Many times. Mostly on Harmony H165s and H162s, but I've done others as well. It's also a routine operation when building from certain "kits". It's unlikely a "qualified luthier" would do it, as most are "qualified" for repairs, and not alterations.

I'd probably find a good local hobby builder and see if there's interest in doing it for you. BTW, there are about 50 things that can go wrong; one of the worst being you thin right down until you hit the trussrod.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:40 PM

Yes, I've had a luthier shave/re-profile the necks on two guitars. I was quite pleased with the results.

Larry
Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 PM

I built my first acoustic with a thicker neck because I wanted to find out how I would like it and assumed the guitar would not turn out that great anyway. When done I liked the sound of the guitar, just didn't like the neck. Took it off and thinned it out.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 AM

Sand/sandpaper: No, uh-uh.

Spoke shaves were made for ..... shaping spokes. But would do the best job for shaping a guitar neck to near-final profile, then a curved scraper, then finish with sandpaper.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
Has anyone ever have a neck that is too thick and had it sanded down to your liking? Not that I would do it. Would A qualified luthier be okay doing that?
Answer = Yes, luthiers do it all the time.

I use a rasp to start, then a file then sandpaper

Steve

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Answer = Yes, luthiers do it all the time.

I use a rasp to start, then a file then sandpaper

Steve

Just curious, does it always mean taking the neck off.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-06-2018, 10:27 AM

You don't need to take it off, just annoying to have this big box stuck to the end of it while you are working on it. As long as you hold the neck securely and you do not put undue stress on the neck-body joint then all is good. I use a ******* file to take the wood down after I used a rasp. Use a straight edge and mark some lines on either side of the center line. Then fine a flat down to the two lines. Then draw another center line and shape the sides up to it.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 AM

One should be aware of how the neck is constructed before doing the task. Some necks have a compression rod that sits as close to the back of the neck as possible, and there could be just 1/8" of wood, maybe even a little less, in that area. Probably more worrisome on a vintage-style Fender neck, where the trussrod channel is cut on am arch with the lowest point near the geometric center of the neck.

I use a dual-action trussrod that needs about .375" channel to seat. So if my fretboard is about .220" at the center, I'd probably be comfortable with a minimum of .720" at the nut for a Strat style neck - which is pretty slim by my standards - and I don't have big hands.

I find a good part of the bulk sometimes likes in the amount of "shoulder" on the neck's edge. Some folks like a large shoulder for support, though with my more diminutive hand and my predisposition to wrap my thumb over, I actually prefer less shoulder and kind of a more shallow C shape. I've played a few pre-war Martins that have a more shallow V shape which I really liked in pairing with the wider fretboard. Point being it may not necessary to shave the back of a neck to effect a slimmer feel if the neck has more of a flatter D profile.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:50 AM

I also like the shallow C shaped neck.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrock View Post
Sand/sandpaper: No, uh-uh.

Spoke shaves were made for ..... shaping spokes. But would do the best job for shaping a guitar neck to near-final profile, then a curved scraper, then finish with sandpaper.
Uh ... no. The spokeshave has no place in the process IMO. The rasp is the tool for the job.

I have had to reshape the neck on 3 Lakewood guitars which I owned ... great sounding instruments but what is it with their neck profiles ?

In no case would I even have contemplated altering the actual thickness of the neck ... no need. The excess wood came off the shoulders.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Murrmac

Certainly personal preference here, but to me, the spokeshave is the perfect tool for the job because it will give a consistent thickness shaving as long as you want. A few strokes using some reference lines, and you are ready for a fine file, then sandpaper. I use the wooden bodied spokeshaves with the blade parallel with the work surface.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla

Ed
Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Uh ... no. The spokeshave has no place in the process IMO. The rasp is the tool for the job.

I have had to reshape the neck on 3 Lakewood guitars which I owned ... great sounding instruments but what is it with their neck profiles ?

In no case would I even have contemplated altering the actual thickness of the neck ... no need. The excess wood came off the shoulders.
Well, the tool would be the choice of the particular individual according to their skill level and requirements. Saying a spokeshave is only for making spokes is like saying a patternmaker's rasp is only for shaping patterns for castings or a cabinet scraper can only be used for cabinets or a bicycle tire inflator can only be used to pump bicycle tires! You get the drift (not only used to remove bits from a tapered bore drill press!)

If you think about it a spokeshave, finely tuned and sharpened, will take off a precise amount of material where sanding is done to remove the tiny facets left, where a rasp will abrade the surface leaving a rough texture that has to be refined with finer rasps then rough then fine sandpaper. But it's whatever you're comfortable with. I've done both. I've rough shaped new necks with a Lancelot (and so does Mario Proulx, a fine builder of vintage style instruments in Canada.) I don't recommend others do it. Currently I hog the bulk on the bandsaw Sam Maloof style (freehand), followed by a cabinet chisel, rasps, then sandpaper - and do all that in an hour. But it's not for everyone.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
... a rasp will abrade the surface leaving a rough texture that has to be refined with finer rasps then rough then fine sandpaper.
Depends on the quality of the rasp ... good rasps ain't cheap.

As it so happens , today I was shaping a birds-eye maple bass neck ... no way would you want to tackle that with a spokeshave.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Depends on the quality of the rasp ... good rasps ain't cheap.

As it so happens , today I was shaping a birds-eye maple bass neck ... no way would you want to tackle that with a spokeshave.
A quality rasp will cut cleaner, but still needs refinement from sandpaper to remove tool marks, therefore you have to leave the surface prouder than you expect the end result to be.

But yes, you should use the appropriate tool for the task at hand.

Come to think of it, you could get a good spokeshave for about the same price (or even cheaper) than some good rasps. Even with birdseye or curly maple, there are ways to work it with a spokeshave.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair