The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
...........I tightened the trust rod 1/8" turn yesterday to ensure truss rod tight.

Ne benefit (apart from action slightly too high).

Both are now sitting in cases with (slightly) damp sponges on greaseproof paper. and hygrometer insiode and soudhole covered with card.

In the headstock area I have placed a small soapdish with "waterbeads".

I'll leave them like that until Tuesday then recheck but I'm also hoping I'll get calls from two other techs, one being the only Collings recognised guy up in London (he is VERY expensive!).
Tightening the truss-rod should give a slight reduction in action not increase it, although to check for a loose truss-rod (i.e. 2-way in neutral position) a tap on the back of the neck should be enough to tell.

Coming out of a relatively warm humid summer I am surprised you consider it necessary to humidify the guitars at all, let alone take what appears to be quite drastic action.

All your RH figures seem rather low, I would recommend not to rely on these unless you have verified them.

If you do have reliable RH measurement I would recommend casing your guitars with nothing but a hygrometer and checking periodically. Whilst the guitar would take time to adjust, the air trapped in the case should quickly come to equilibrium with the case internals / guitar. You can then decide on action accordingly. Getting the guitars into a known, stable and controlled RH would in any case be a precursor to any work being done.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-05-2018, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever.

Why wouldn't he refret using EVO frets ?
Hi, I wasn't crazy about the sound of Evo Frets on this rather "bright" guitar, so, given the choice he opted for fretwire ordered (and delivered very quickly) from Collings.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In my universe, the advice given in this video, that "60-70% is what you want" for relative humidity would be disastrous. I've seen what happens to my Taylor 210 DLX when (in my ignorance) I once allowed it to remain in an environment of RH 70% for an extended period. The top bellied upwards, and took the action with it; the tone changed to mud; and the neck joint became so swollen that it was almost impossible for a Taylor tech to remove the neck.

3 weeks in its case, in a steady environment of RH 40-50%, fixed all of that. Slow changes towards the optimum of 40-50%, that's the thing, whether humidifying or dehumidifying.

Last edited by N+1; 11-05-2018 at 09:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair