The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 PM

Question Composite on a budget???

Wondering about synthetic/composite guitars floating around out there that can be had at a decent price. By decent, I mean $*** as opposed to >$*,*** as a start. From what I can tell, Rainsongs might be a bit pricey. If you have general thoughts, I'd love to read them here, and if you have specifics regarding price, please shoot me a PM.

I have a friend overseas (Indonesia) who is fighting humidity issues, and I'd love to gift him a guitar that would withstand the elements. He's already got a Baby Taylor over there, but I'd be more interested in a full-scale model. Thanks!
Little Martin (back in the fold)
CA OX Raw (back in the fold)
Martin Backpacker

Gone/not forgotten: Yamaha FG-5**, 410rce, 710ce-L9, Alvarez MD80-12, NS-42ce, 454ce-L2, CA GX Player, H&D Custom DS-12, '53 Gibson LG1, Gibson AJ, Alvarez 5022, CA Cargo, Gibson J-45 TV, CA OX Raw, H&D MJ, Gibson SJ200
Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Emerald Fusion.
It is made by Emerald guitars (Ireland) and it is all made of composite materials. It costs, I believe, around 800 or 900 dollars.
The reason why it is quite affordable is because it is not made 100 % of carbon fiber, but it is made of a mixture of composite naterials, including fiberglass. I had one for a few months: it does not sound like a traditional guitar, i.e. "woody", but it sounds good both acoustically and plugged in.
Go to Emeraldguitars.com to get more info.
Another alternative is the Emerald Life, which is a full scale travel guitar (with a smaller body) and it is made 100 % of carbon fiber.
It costs less than 600 dollars.

Hope this helps,

gerardo1000
Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out....
Little Martin (back in the fold)
CA OX Raw (back in the fold)
Martin Backpacker

Gone/not forgotten: Yamaha FG-5**, 410rce, 710ce-L9, Alvarez MD80-12, NS-42ce, 454ce-L2, CA GX Player, H&D Custom DS-12, '53 Gibson LG1, Gibson AJ, Alvarez 5022, CA Cargo, Gibson J-45 TV, CA OX Raw, H&D MJ, Gibson SJ200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber